Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car novel from the day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordairgtar, Dec 19, 2010.

1. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The other thread speaking of Henry gregor Felson had me wondering about other car related books I read in highschool. I remember a story about a kid who built a car that was painted pink with copper wheels at the behest of his girl. I liked the story but I can't remember the tiltle nor the author.

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That was one of Felsen's books, I think Hot Rod.

3. unkamort

unkamort

I remember a series of books called The Black Tiger. A young driver with his Scotish mechanic. The Black Tiger was the car they modified for what ever type of racing the book was about. Loved'em when I was a kid but... Geeez the 5th grade was a long time ago.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I remember that story..I didn't like the story ending.. Title I can't think of for sure but HOTROD! does come to mind...There might have been two or three other books by same author in a couple year span, mid sixtys or so..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

5. I remember reading that book at my high school library. The kid had a buddy they called "My son Ralph". Had to borrow his car to run some kind of race as I recall. Don't know why that has stuck with me all these years...

6. I have ALL the "Black Tiger" books if you want to read 'em again. :D

I collected them for my son several years ago. You can still find them on e*%y once in awhile. Authors name was Patrick O'Connor.

7. It's one of the Felsen books, but not one of the two I have. Does it have Custom in the title?

8. 22 track

22 track

The book was Felson's "Street Rod".

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Larry T

Larry T

Yep............it figures with a pink car and copper wheels.
    Just kidding.
    Larry T

BTW Hot Rod was the one with Bud Crayne in it.

10. Jax2A

Jax2A

My son Ralph was in Hot Rod but Hot Rod wasn't Felsen's book with the pink and copper rod. That was Street Rod.

Never heard of the Black Tiger series, sounds interesting.

Edit: Dang I type too slow.

11. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Yep. Picked up a copy from ebay just a couple of weeks ago. The Felsen books are as good as I remember them from junior high.:)

12. Jax2A

Jax2A

Some may find this interesting... my copy of Hot Rod is a text book with a boring looking cover and no artwork. Printed on the cover is "A Bantam Book expressly prepared for school use and distributed exclusively by Amsco School Publications". "AMSCO LITERATURE SERIES" In plain block letters it has the title and auther as well.

13. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Here are some of the ones I have...

Attached Files:

• nov1.jpg
      nov1.jpg
      File size:
      497.4 KB
      Views:
    • nov2.jpg
      nov2.jpg
      File size:
      495.7 KB
      Views:
    • nov3.jpg
      nov3.jpg
      File size:
      496.5 KB
      Views:
  14. scrubba

scrubba

The "Pink Coupe " was the felson book, Street Rod . I have it along with the book, Boy Gets Car, a story of a young man in middle America who works at a Egg plant candleing eggs . he buys a car, a 1940 Ford sedan not realizing what a monsterous undertaking it really can be on a limited budget . scrubba

15. Haha, that's cool. Never see that today, or it would be a book about the effects of STDs:D

Here's a cover of one of the BT series:
    [​IMG]

16. cool, i have a copy of that book,(street rod) but i havent read it in years, might blow the dust off of it now!

17. Jagman

Jagman

Yep, I read all of those, and I remember completely those stories.....they really stuck in my psyche...

18. unkamort

unkamort

Wow thanks! I had no idea what the authors name was. I'll have to keep an eye out now!

19. Pharouh

Pharouh

Wow, I'd almost forgotten those books! I read boy gets car several times. There were some other car books you haven't mentioned. There was one about a guy in California,he played in a band and surfed. all I remember...
    another was called Crash Club. It's about a rich bad boy moves to town. He had a black 58 Impala with f.i.
    Man, that's over 40 years ago...

20. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

21. i remember one of the books the kid was in the army and hot rodded the generals jeep. he had souped up the motor, added padding to the seat and armer to the floor. was that hot rod or street rod?

22. Larry T

Larry T

I don't remember that in either book, but there was a short story in one of my grade school reading textbooks about a soldier changing engines in generals jeep. Seems like it was Korean Conflict Era. Any one remember who wrote it?
    Larry T

23. Jax2A

Jax2A

Boy Gets Car was later under the title "Road Rocket". My copy is a Road Rocket one.

24. Jax2A

Jax2A

I've heard of this short story but have never found it to read it. Want to because I've always loved Jeeps. One of my favorite jr high books was "The Year of the Jeep". Kid finds a Jeep in a barn and gets it running story. I managed to find a hard back copy of that one a few years back. I read it every so often still. This book is probably why I have a 46 Willys CJ2A now.

25. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Street Rod by H.G. Felsen. The character was Ricky Madison, his arch enemy was Link Aller and his partner/mentor was Merle Connor. From the Yucaipa Junior High Library, 1962.

26. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I seem to recall another author of hot rod car books. Not as prolific as Gregor Felsen, but the books were enjoyable. I just can't remember the names of any of his stories, or even HIS name.

As an early airplane aficionado, I also devoured all the Dave Dawson books (WWII exploits of a pilot and his sidekick Freddy Farmer). Still have my Dave Dawson with the Fying Tigers book - but of course - as my third affinity is art - it is completel 'doodled' up on any blank pages.

dj

27. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

William Campbell Gault also wrote some books of the same genre. One I remember was "Dirt Track Summer". Pretty well written actually, I believe he also wrote mysteries.

28. 41woodie

41woodie

The coupe wasn't simply pink like Pepto-Bismol it was the color of the inside of a seashell. Who remembers a book about a young guy with a BSA 441 Victor bike that he called "Tar Baby"?

29. weldtoride

weldtoride

My high school used Hot Rod as a text in the summer remedial reading program before freshman year, the logic was to give the kids something that was fun and interesting to read instead of a chore. It worked. After I read Hot Rod, I went through all of HGR's books, and found books like The Red Car by Don Stafford, and others.

Burt Levy is a current author who writes about sports car racing in the fifties, he has a series of books, there are some characters who are in several books, they are written for adults and are a good read, imho.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010