Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ***Chet Herbert's "Beast 3" @ Pebble Beach***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Dec 19, 2010.

1. This was a fantastic restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/12226979@N03/4897011908/][​IMG][/url]

3. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done!!! Thank you for those pictures!

4. Offy 220

Offy 220

Jimmy,

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

Offy 220

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for posting the pics. Love the Hemi!

6. Gotzy

Gotzy

That's beautiful and looking to be really nicely restored as well, gotta love preservation.

7. A stunning piece of American racing history.

8. Wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to post these photos.

9. I just accidently came across this video when uploading my video of Beast 3 running at Pebble Beach.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_Jgywd_es8E?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    & my two videos.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZaGypO3YbAQ?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PVlXlLgGrHo?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Pictures Jimmy. Thanks for posting them

Had to laugh....in the bottom 2 videos you can see Frank Morawski sticking his nose into the running car. He is the one wearing the Evan's Performance shirt

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  11. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Jimmy. Stunning. I love the interior shots. To cool. Slim

12. great stuff!

without inner wheels wells doesn't the inside fill up with debri when run?

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Jimmy you might have mentioned that Donny won and this lost! :)

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

How is it that you live in Australia and you can get to Pebble Beach but I have not?
    Some day I will go but until then thanks for all the great pics.
    Bill

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

beautiful engineering for 1953! wow!

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Beautiful car.

I can't help but think that this car may be just a little over-restored, but it goes without saying that the crew at Custom Auto did an amazing job on the restoration. I can't blame anyone for wanting to make things as nice as they possibly can.

I took these photos at Custom Auto just before Alan Johnson did the lettering. Thanks again to Rex for showing me around.

Attached Files:

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

When you see how nice a pro shop team can make stuff look, kinda makes you wonder about every restoration. Still impressive.

19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

And I still have people ask me why I love Land Speed Racing.............

20. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

stunning car and restoration. I too think there is no way that car ever looked that good even when it was first built. These cars were built for one thing and it wasn't to win car show trophies. Its beautiful and sounds great as well. Love seeing these old racecars at Pebble Beach

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I think the motorcycle guys give a little more respect to things left in their original shape, maybe because there aren't so many well to do folks wanting to buy their way in, and also not so many shops ready to walk them through a restoration, so they can feel a part of it. Seems it's part of the culture now. Still nice to see these cars getting their due though.

22. Wow, I felt it move!

23. Anyone have any numbers on engine specs and speeds that it ran? Great looking streamliner.

24. The very first picture, showing the sign posted at Pebble Beach, (although a little hard to read) gives a pretty good run-down of the history of this car.

25. DrJ

DrJ

Beautiful car and love the name and number joke, but did it run with no inner fender wells to keep the salt spray out of everything including the driver? :eek:

26. A car that ran well over 200mph with no inner fender panels and no roll cage. Brings to mind two thoughts. How the rules have changed, and the balls the drivers of those early streamliners had!!

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

I agree... exactly what I thought, looking at the cockpit.

Jimmy, once again, awesome contribution.

BCChopit... I haven't made it out there either. Sometimes, I think it's not the place for me since I'm not a sport-coat-wearing guy but the year you go... I'l be sure to go too.

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

We will have to go shopping first:D But you have a deal

29. All Chet's streamliners had the #666. Yes salt sprayed up in the drivers compartment covering the driver. George Bentley & Art Chrisman both drove the streamliner. This is the car that got Art in the 200mph club.

Because it was a once in a lifetime event. It maybe 10 plus years before there is another Hot Rod Landspeed class at Pebble Beach, I would of regretted it for the rest of my life if I had not made it. It is a event everyone should attend at least once. I recommend you attend when they have the Hot Rod class.

I mentioned Don won in the Eddie Miller lakester thread, very deserving. It slipped my mind about this placing 2nd.

Yes Art Chrisman was covered with salt on 200 plus mph runs from memory he was just wearing Jeans and a Tshirt.

It ran 236mph one-way (232.35mph two-way), the 2nd fastest speed of the 1952 Bonneville Nationals.

Thank you Brent. I got say I disagree wholeheartedly...... Pebble Beach does have the sports coat & cardigan tied around neck pansies but the amount of average Joes there was quite incredible. If you appreciate iconic automobiles you will not be disappointed I do recommend you attend when the Hot Rod class is included as it usually is the off year and there are other special classes.

see reply above, you wont be disappointed.

I agree.

30. Piper106

Piper106

Wondreful original design and build. Great restoration.
    Looks like it is ready to go on the salt and turn close to 250 mph.

Piper106