Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flattie-T5 Tranny Crossmember Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fife's 56, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Fife's 56

Fife's 56

I have researched alot of threads on the T5 swap to an 8ba flathead in a 1936 Ford coupe but haven't seen any talk of the tranny crossmember. Can the original crossmember be modified and relocated? Is there alot of cutting to the crossmember or the frame using this method or does someone sell a crossmember already made for this application? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just started buying the parts to do this swap and will be starting on it shortly.

2. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

if you dont have to make anything or modify anything then whats the point of building a car. just sayin.....

3. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

I just cut the rivets out on the brace and removed it. Then made a mount out of a piece of plate and bolted it up where the crossmember was.

4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

look into the swap to convert to an automatic....same concept...i think tci has one chassis engineering , weedeter? prob. others as well

5. flat34pu

flat34pu

here is a pic i saved to use the style because i do not like the crossmember made for my little '34 pu, and i will be get this style fabed up to replace the one made.
    you will also be very happy with the t-5
    rich
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> </v:shapetype>
    <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in">
    <v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 420pt; HEIGHT: 315pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 3.75pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="44.jpg" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.classiccoupesandcarts.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/44.jpg" src="file:///C:\Users\rick\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>​
    </TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 420pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width=560>
    Original X-member with triangulated rear 4 bar setup.<o:p></o:p>​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </v:shapetype>

6. Look at (35 ford 3-window) build thread by fomocokid. His mounting method is verry clean with little mod to frame.

7. flat34pu

flat34pu

:confused: sorry i cant get it to copy over [​IMG]

here, this is not the one i plan on using, but you just need to get the pinion angle set before you make your mounting bracket, but also dont forget to mount your tranny rubber mount on as well, they are about 6 bucks at any auto store.
    off a chevy of course.
    rich

this is a copy of another hambers mount, so try the search box, type in t5 tranny mount

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. flat34pu

flat34pu

[​IMG]

Tubular Transmission Mount with 2 Inch Drop
    Universal rear transmission mounts and heavy duty tube crossmember. Fit most GM, Ford, and Mopar manual and auto transmissions. Black powder coated finish. Crossmember must be welded directly into frame or to 3 hole mounting flanges for bolt-in application. Fits frames up to 38" wide.
    Regular Price: $39.99

More info on Tubular Transmission Mount with 2 Inch Drop here is a pic of what i was trying to show you, but this is still not the pic i have.

this is just to give you an idea, with this view this is what it will be basicly shaped as, but not using the tube, althought you can use the tube if you like, i will be using flat stock that will be eithe bent or welded to get that angled from the frame sides that will still be there when you remove the cradle part of the old tranny mount, if that makes sence.

sorry i cant get the pick i want to show you.
    this mount goes from one frame rail to the other, and as you only want to remove the center piece of the 3 pieces of frame inside the frame rails.
    you also want to bolt this in not weld it in because if you ever have to remove the tranny to replace the clutch or any other work you will have to pull the engine and tranny, not just the tranny.
    i had to get the guy to cut the original mount he fabracated up and welded to my frame just for that reason.
    rich

rich

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  9. Fife's 56

Fife's 56

Thanks for all the help guys. This is my first car from the 30's and there is alot to learn about them. I am really looking forward to the 5-speed which should make the car alot more fun and drivable on longer distances.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Couldn't have said it better. Just make it work.

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Are you still using the stock front wishbone? If so, I'm in the process of installing a 5 spd from an S10 in my 40 cpe which has essentially the same chassis. I've trimmed out the orig trans mount and removed the top of the crossmember brace, cutting it about 1/8 inch from the edge of the chassis rail. My trans mount will bolt to the bottom of the orig x member, behind the ball socket that holds the wishbone. I had to trim the back of the trans some but it will fit. I hope this is more helpful than just telling you to fix it... hell, you already knew you had to do that! Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

12. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Chassis Engineering Inc. has a kit for mounting GM transmissions in '35-'40 Fords. They offer it with or without a wishbone splitting kit.

13. Fife's 56

Fife's 56

Thanks for the pictures Hamtown Al. We are doing the same as you with the stock wishbones. I looked at Chassis Eng. site but did not see a specific kit for a flathead and a T5 so I guess I should call them on Monday. Good luck with your project, it's lookin good.

14. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Here are a few pics from my 36 chassis that I modified for T-5. You can go to my build thread (at the bottom of my post) for more in depth pics of how I did it. Good luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I already called CE and we figured out that their regular kit for a turbo 350 can be used but it will have to have new holes drilled for the trans mount as the location is different for the T5. I asked Jim to consider just adding two holes to the turbo 350 kits so that the CE kits could be used for both the turbo 350 and T5. I changed direction when I realized I could use the T5 without splitting the wishbone. I'm not quite finished but I'm confident I can get it to work. I'll have pics on my thread about buying a 40 Ford coupe with a Desoto hemi when it is finished.
    I have to say that the above approach by hellonwheels looks good and the approach used by fomocokid looks good as well. The fomocokid approach might be less complicated than mine... he was clever to salvage the orig trans mts. I wasn't that smart! Good luck with yours; no matter how you do it. Al

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  16. So your just saying................just start cutting even if there are people that have all ready preformed this modification and are willing to help a fellow rodder out? Not exactly my thoughts!!!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  17. Matlack

Matlack

Thanks for the pictures. I am a show me guy not a tell me guy. this helps me out a lot.