Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures "Stand By For Justice" featuring American Graffiti's 61 Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moefuzz, Dec 18, 2010.

1. moefuzz

moefuzz

I did a quick search and didn't find that this had been posted up yet??

Many here will remember the famous scene in American Graffiti where Kurt hooks a cable up to Officer Holstien's 61 Galaxie.

Well they recreated that scene in Petaluma on the same lot that the original scene was shot in.

This was a pretty big endeavor, it involved recreating the signage (Jerry's Cherries) and stuffing the lot with similar cars just like in the original scene.

Although there are some flaws with the recreation (like the Ford truck parked on the street), it is still pretty neat to watch.
    The actor who plays Kurt did a really good job of getting Kurt's movement right.
    "Kurt" made this scene watchable despite the obvious flaws of the tailgate of the 40 pickup (among other things).

The story of the recreation is a pretty good read starting with finding a car....

http://www.standbyforjustice.com/

But the crown jewel is the clip itself shot with the original music soundtrack in the background

I really enjoyed the read as well as the clip, hope you all do too

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/3880897" frameborder="0" height="225" width="400"></iframe>Stand By For Justice from Fair Street Films on Vimeo.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Very cool. that was really done well now if all remakes could stick to that formula and not fuck things up!

3. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

Whats interesting is that they had to do a second take,

On the first take, the cable that was hooked up to a tow truck actually failed,
    The hasps that held the loop weren't tight enough and the cable was allowed to slip out.
    Apparently it shot back across the lot and over the large wrecker/tow truck that it was attached to.
    (Just as in the original movie, the Galaxie was hooked to a tow truck and not the post as is shown in the movie)

From the website:

"&#8220;Quiet on the set&#8221;, shouted director Bies. The next thing we heard was the sound of the cop car starting up. Guests were not allowed to have cameras, but there were many others who did, so we jockeyed for good positions from which to shoot. I was near the director, so I could easily hear him talking to Art in the car. Ready! Action! The car jumped to life and roared out of the lot, but when it got to the curb where the slack in the cable ended and the axle was supposed to be torn away, there was a huge shower of sparks as the cable snapped and whipped back over the top of the tow truck and over the brick wall behind it! The car rolled into the street where Art slammed on the brakes and brought it to a quick stop. What happened?

Well, the cable didn&#8217;t break. It turned out that the hasps securing the loop weren&#8217;t tight enough, which caused the cable to slip out of their grasp. I have to tell you that it looked like the 4th of July with all of those sparks flying, but the axle was still attached to the car. So now what? Take two, of course, just like in the real movies! "

5. That was Kool..:)

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good stuff!

7. Muttley

Muttley

I must have watched American Graffiti twenty times before I finally figured out what Curt says in that scene.

8. big bad john

big bad john

. ....Cool stuff...every time I watch American Graffiti I learn something new.......Can't get enought of it.....thanks for the great threag....

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

real neat. Too bad that galaxie got a little beat up.

10. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Totally cool, forgot what I was watching for a minute until I saw radial tires on the cop car rearend, HAHA!( I'm not trying to pick it apart, it was so authentic) Coolest video I've watched in a long time.

11. moefuzz

moefuzz

They built 2 Galaxies, the First one turned out too nice to destroy (for the sake of the recreation/video) which prompted them to find a salvage yard rust bucket and enough extra cash to buy 5 more quarts of black and white paint.

Irregardless, this gave me a brand new respect for 61 Galaxies.