Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats better holley or edelbrock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi guy 53, Oct 8, 2010.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Presactly.

2. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I think the hand-drawn sign at my local speed shop (Barnett Performance) says it best: Don't buy a carb if you can't tune!

Sometimes you get lucky right out of the box, and have an ACCEPTABLE performance out of it...but anything can be improved. I prefer Holleys, but an Edelbrock is a fine carb with plenty of potential, too.

3. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Demon for the track, Edelbrock for the street

4. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

bump for the morning crowd

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

6. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

went with the holley, couldnt be happier

7. Deuces

Deuces

8. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Ditto, I could not say it better... I always beat my buddy with the Edelbrock (we have nearly the same SBC's).
    Never had an issue with a Holly, but my Woodie has a Q-jet. I know weird, but I'm trying to get mileage I'll let you know it works out in a couple months.

9. I have 1 Demon, 2 Holly's and 1 Edelbrock on the 4 rods I have.
    The Demon has to be re tuned every 4 months although it is on a very radical street driven sometimes raced SBC in my '36 Ford.
    The other 2 Holly's haven't been touched in over 10,000 miles each.
    The Edelbrock runs kinda lean but runs very well. I'm not touching it.
    Someday when the money is right I'd like to try a F.A.S.T fuel injection set up on the finicky '36 Ford.

10. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

there's only 2 carburetors made - holley & weber - rest are posers

11. lawman

lawman

Have had these Edelbrock 500s on my car for 5+ years now and have
    never had to touch them. They do run a little rich.Tom (Tired Old man)

Attached Files:

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

what do you have the fuel pressure set at? that could be the key to the richness. Otherwise tune the damn things.

13. lawman

lawman

The fuel pressure is set at what the Edelbrock recomended and I don't
    remember what that was right now.They run so good I'm not going to touch them ,but thanks anyway.Tom (tired Old Man)

14. Deuces

Deuces

A vacuum gauge is your best buddy for tuning them carbs.....

15. lawman

lawman

Thanks Deuces !!!! Tom (tired Old Man)

16. Gotzy

Gotzy

Have ran both, Edelbrock was a hard starter after a week and never had any problems with the Holley. I like the Edelbrock for economy though but have never tried to set up a Holley for the same purpose.

If your buying new and ask the manufacturer what model you need then you won't have any problems with either of them. If you buy used then it's probably being sold cause the guy messed with and couldn't get it running right so sold it. So you'll need to call the tech departments and ask for their recommendations for your combination. Follow their recommendations to set the carb up and you probably won't have any problems either.

So if you know what your fitting it will be fine and won't be if you don't, well that's my take anyways.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And you think Edelbrocks are? Take a look on the side of the Edelbrocks; it says Weber, and they're built overseas.

18. I haven't seen this mentioned, but I have been told a couple of times that if an engine equipped with a Holley backfires it can blow out the powervalve, leaving you sitting! Is this true? Or just an urban myth! BTW I run an Edelbrock on my 327 and love it...

19. 26 roadster

26 roadster

this thread will last for years, I have 15 Edelbrock's/AFB's and one Holley. "rustydusty" new holley's have protection against backfire probs, I have no idea if it works

20. I prefer Holleys, but I have a very good friend with a very fast A sedan that prefers Edelbrock.

Its a personal preference for the most part.

21. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

This is a common thread on every car forum I belong too. Like the "never ending story" Like others I have used Holly's since the early 60's know them and like them and will stick with them. Currently running a 770 on my 455 in the 57 Olds, out of the box a little lean, easy to set two years later no issues. Personal preference is the order of the day here

22. This is the only major complaint I have with the Edelbrock, While talking one of their techs, he told me to install a heat shield and one inch phenolic spacer (both of which they sell) to solve the problem. Shoebox Chris has an Edelbrock set up this way and it eliminated the problem. The tech said engine heat was the cause of the bowls drying out. I have yet to add the spacer and heat shield but plan to this winter. Every Edelbrock I have ever had seems to run a little rich out of the box. I usually order smaller jets and needles and this helps.

23. I used to be a Holley guy until recently.

The older, american made holley stuff was excellent. They are a good dragracing carb design. I think they lack a bit in the trasition from idle to mains for regular street driving. They are difficult to get right, right-there, and the power valves blow out easily with a backfire through the carb... But when you stomp on them the GO.

The new stuff they sell is junk. Floats sink, the castings suck and leak internally.

I can make a stromberg from used parts that will run better than a brand new holley.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My only experience with the 392 is the old AFB. Car ran great so I felt no need to change it.

25. Big fan of the Edelbrocks. Look here for size recommendation based on motor size and Cam, along with intended use.
    [​IMG]

26. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I had a holley when I was racing at the track,
    I had an edelbrock (afb style) on a street car,
    liked them both,
    but
    I never touched the edelbrock,
    otoh ,
    racing with the holley
    I tuned it, ran it, tuned it, ran it, repeat until its right, racers know this..
    I have a holley now on a ot 72 chevy stock sb,, no probs, no mods..
    Racing means you will end up tuning and changing,,
    Street cars you can generally run a carb outta the box up to a certain point of modification on your engine.... to me thats up to about 280 dur and 480 lift,, after that your changing a lot of stuff, and the carb is only one thing.

27. justinpba

justinpba

I ran a Holley years ago on an O/T Olds and had a backfiring issue for a bit, not b/c of the carb, never left me stranded though.

28. I haven't run Edelbrocks but I have run Carter AFBs, as well as Holleys and Rochesters. I prefer Holleys, but think that all of them are good if they are properly matched to the engine.
    I think more problems are caused by people who think they are experts but couldn't tune up a lawnmower. They put carbs that are too large for the engine, or the wrong carb, for example, a double pumper with mechanical secondaries on a street machine, and then they complain about the mileage.
    Great discussion.

29. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

thanks for the heads up on the heat shield and spacer. let us know if it works!

30. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I seem to go through Accelerator pumps once a year with my edlebrock 1406 (Rejetted and tuned metering rods and springs). When I take off, it bogs then goes. Soon as I replace the pump (Adjusted correctly) it's fine for another year.
    (1985 El Camino w/ 70's 305, no smog except for PCV))

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011