Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual disc brakes or Power assist.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by citcapp, Dec 18, 2010.

1. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

On my 48 Olds (455 powered) build I have installed a 4 wheel single caliper chevelle disc brake conversion kit on all four corners. The 455 has a radical cam. I would just like to run manual disc brakes and not worry about the vacuum plus I like the clean look in the engine bay. Car will weigh under 3k. With the right pedal geometry and master dual master cylinder I believe braking should be fine. I am new to this conversion so looking for a little input

Thanks in advance

:D

2. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy made manual 4 wheel disk brake vettes in the mid-late 60s. They stop ok. Assuming you have normal strength in your legs :)

3. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

a litle more effort on the pedal but it will brake fine...i tend to like manual brakes on a hot rod....

4. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

as long as ya get the pedal ratio right and the right master dia. should work fine...

5. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

Thanks for the replies. I'm going manual

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I have 4wdb and run a huge booster cuz I have a custom and my engine compartment is ugly anyway, so who cares.

I'm so excited to have good brakes after years of crap ones I wanted them to be like a 70s oldsmobile and really boosted.

Just my preference.

I don't have any great revelations except to say the universal brake pedal I bought was the worst POS , I thought it'd be faster and easier than finding a factory setup but I was wrong.

Since I've been cruising junkyards recently for brake pedals I seem to recall the truck section to have some long, straight brake pedals that I assume have disc/drum and very possibly no booster.

That's what my non photographic memory tells me. It's more like an etch a sketch and fades when I shake my head a little! :D

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

X2, my exact feeling

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

I have four wheel disc set-ups on a couple of my rides, and neither has a booster, nor needs one. The correct pedal ratio is the key....:)