Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Hotrod Lover Dies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rex1927, Dec 18, 2010.

1. My father died at age 88 on 12/10/10.He was still working on hotrods with me on 3rd week of october.Now he is gone.
    Cars are safe,I am going to continue in hobby alone.
    I will be back to work on finishing them once sting of loss is gone.Rex

Attached Files:

2. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

sorry for your loss. sounds like you had a cool pop. may he rest in peace.

3. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. I lost my father in May of 92. Like yourself, I decided to keep the cars in the family and have never regretted that decision. Even though they may be painful now, you will come to cherish those memories that you two shared.

4. very sorry to hear of your loss sounds like your dad was a cool one

5. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Sorry to hear about your loss. I can relate, though fortunately my dad is still with me.

I have been able to work with my dad some recently, since I opened by new shop (he lives 90 miles away, so its only occasionally), and I treasure it. He's aged a lot the last few years (he's only 70), and I worry we won't have many more chances.

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

sorry for your loss, but he is never gone as long as he lives in your memories

7. big bad john

big bad john

.....Sorry for your passing of your father.......losing a loved one is never easy..sounds like you had a good relationship with him....thats good,,because he had a lot of time to put his values into you.......that will never go away.....over the coming years, he will always be with you.....be strong.......my prayers are with you.........Big Bad John

8. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great guy, I am glad you are keeping his cars.

9. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Looks like he went out with his boots on...celebrate his life and all that he gave you, the sting will ease with time. Condolences to you and yours...

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

88 and still messing with cars....we should all be so lucky...

Sounds like a neat guy and best friend....you'll be fine....you're a lucky guy to have had a dad like that and for as long as you did, but you already know that.

There's never a way to prepare yourself for the loss of someone so close to you, but you'll heal in time and will always count yourself as one of the more fortunate of sons...hang in there...:)

11. TxRat

TxRat

He's not gone Rex, He'll be with you every time you bang around on those old cars.....

12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Sorry for your lose. RIP old timer. I lost my Dad this past January at 72. Thankfully you had him for all those years. No one can take that from you. As far as going it alone; take solace in knowing he is watching you every day. If you need anything you always can count on us on the HAMB. I know it's not the same as your Dad but we are here for you. God Bless.

13. 46Reid

46Reid
    from SoCal

I too lost a loved one last Sunday, 12/12. My grandfather passed so I feel your pain. Sorry for your loss.

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Agreed! Sorry to hear of your loss.

15. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Lost my mom on 12/2/10, lousy any time, worse at christmas. Sorry for your loss, I'm sure he'll be close while you finish the projects.

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Agree with Doug (Mazooma1) he was still doing what he loved to the end, that's about all any of us can ask for. Nothing more inevitable than the continuous march of time, so enjoy every day, be grateful for the time you had with him and pass it on. Lost my Dad a long time ago and regret not doing more with him. Positive thoughts to you and yours especially this time of year.

17. kingpins

kingpins

sorry about your loss, you got the memories and the lessons. good luck.

18. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.
    It sounds like you had some quality times with Dad. Has to help with some great memories, to help ease the sting. R.I.P.

19. Prayers for you and your family. Cherish the memories, He lived a long life and was active to close to the end. Sorrry for your loss.

20. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and it makes me smile to know you had lots of time working on cars together.

21. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Sorry to hear about your loss. Time will heal. Lost my dad in 97. He hated every hot rod I had. We could talk all night about cars (we were both mechanics) but he wouldn't talk too much about hot rods. Like I once heard "No matter what your relationship is with your dad, when he's gone you miss him terribly".

22. Sorry to hear about your Dad I know that pain .Lost my Dad 4 years ago at 89 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him.The other guys are right every time you do something on one of your projects , he will be there guiding your work.
    The unspoken love of a father shows up in the confidence you have in the abilities to create and build. Rob.

23. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Sorry for your loss. Keep workin on those rods, it will make it easier, and thats probably what he would have wanted.

24. sorry to hear about your Dad, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

25. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Rex,sorry to hear of your loss.Anytime something like this happens always sux,but the Holidays really hurt.Lost my Father in Law back in Sept,a car guy too(loved his Caddys).He will be with you everytime you enter your garage.He may not be here in body,but will always be with you in spirit.

Our condolences to you and yours.

26. Good to hear your following your dad's foot step's, keep the tradition going. Sorry for your loss!

27. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Even though my Dad has never been into hot rods with me, he will always be my hero as I'm sure your Dad was yours.

My mother used to give me grief all the time asking me when I was ever going to grow up. But the last words words she whispered to me just before passing was "have fun". I'm sure your Dad feels the same way.

My Dad is still with me and 84 now. Just passed his test to renew his driving privilege, and we are talking about a vintage ride for him. Maybe we still have time yet and he'll be working on his rod when his time comes.

Prayers for your comfort are coming your way. But don't be surprised if you still see him out of the corner of your eye in the shop. We never truly lose them.............

28. Offy 220

Offy 220

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. I lost my father 3 years ago November. I was helping him put together a V8 60 for one of his friends. He felt a little tired that afternoon and went in to take a short nap - never woke up. I had to finish up his projects after he passed. Hardest thing I had to do!

We worked on cars, motorcycles and even restored a few airplanes together. I started helping him when I was a teenager, now I am in my early 50's. Lesson learned - enjoy every minute whether good or bad with a dad like yours and mine.

Take care of yourself and hold your head up,

Offy 220

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think Mazooma1 said it about the best. You are blessed that the both of you were able to work on projects together. As proud of my father as I am we still had very little in common and it wasn't until the end of his life that he realized it was OK to work with your hands to make a living. He always wanted me to be a college educated professional as he came from a poor family that never had the opportunity to go to college until late in life. By doing so he fulfilled a lifelong dream of a college diploma. My natural abilities have always been mechanical and because of my grandfather mentoring me starting at an early age I knew early on what I wanted to do.
    Sounds like your father was proud of you and hold that thought close as you carry on without him being physically present with you. He'll always be there looking over your shoulder and I'm betting there will be many times you'll actually feel his presence. May he rest in peace.

Frank

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  30. Willy301

Willy301

Sorry for your loss, I know the sting you speak of I lost mine in 2007, he is likely building hotrods in heaven...