Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 RPU...Messin' with Some Hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Oct 23, 2010.

1. brady1929

brady1929

damn, that rpu is beautiful!

2. F&J

F&J

I spotted that antenna on Tommys car a few days ago, and instantly thought of the old days. It's a natural :cool:

I did find brazed holes in my 32 cowl as well...I guess I need to get one...maybe off an old VW bug. I don't use new parts:D

EDIT; The louvers... I really like the black pen layout you drew. I really think it adds to your build....especially when you showed the plain hood LAST. It made it look like something important was missing...if that makes any sense.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  3. A Boner

A Boner

Talked to you at LARS......... very cool truck!........Have you posted any pic's of your slick mods inside the pu box?.......slickest idea for a truck ever!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hi Neil. I like your louver layout! very few folks come up with that sort of pattern, but it is very similar to what I layout almost everyday. i don't know if the layout you did matches the side panel louver spacing, but it might be something you consider. I also might suggest putting just a bit more distance between the inner rows at the back edge of the pattern. I.E. if your louver center lines are say 5" apart at the front two inner louvers, make the inners at the back edge about 6". The reason behind that is two fold. Having a bit of taper in the inner rows helps to cancel a visual trick that makes straight rows on a tapered hood look wider at the front, and also it will "mello out" some of the taper you put into the outer rows to keep them happy with the side of the hood. Try it and you'll see what I mean. It just makes the whole pattern look more cohesive or natural on a tapered hood. I don't have a 4"die, otherwise I would be jumping up and down saying "pick me" to do your deal, but I do have a 3 1/2" die that I use for most '32s that I do. It fits the hood well and looks great, plus I know my dies and equipment has the necessary side clearance to do your pattern without damaging your hood. I humbly submit a picture or two for your approval. Plus I'm as far away as you closest post office or UPS depot...

I just realized that I loaded pictures of three row hood sides, sorry about that! Then I looked twice and saw that the black car has my 2 1/2" louvers... Getting away from me this early in the day...

Attached Files:

5. jandk

jandk

Louvers look great. You really can't go wrong no matter what length you use. They are attention grabbers and functional too. Kool truck!

6. NealinCA

NealinCA

I had Eric Vaughn punch these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may end up doing something different down the road though...

Neal

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I like the shape of those from what I can see. There is a local guy who has dies very similar to that.

And not to bring it up if it's a sore spot, but is the row on the drivers side a bit forward? I'm looking at these pics on a tiny iPod screen, so hopefully it's just an optical thing.

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

The one hood top is slid forward on the hinge a little...so the louvers aren't aligned in those pics. They are punched correctly and they have the correct rounded shape...I just really wanted a wider louver...closer to 4".

Neal

9. The louvers look great.

My favroite RPU on the HAMB.

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Neal, Wast just enjoying (again) your hood thread. Love your creativity. Looking forward to further adventures of your RPU !

Happy New Year !

Dave

11. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Looks great Neal!!!

12. that'll do. I like it way more than the 3 row pattern

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looks real nice

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Perfect as usual!

A few years ago I chased down a guy at the registration to find out where he got his 50 Chevy hood punched. He had the round top louvers and not the common flat tops. He said they were punched in the 50s.:mad: There is a local guy now that does the old style.