Register now to get rid of these ads!

Period correct engine compartment for early sixties

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheap1, Dec 16, 2010.

1. cheap1

cheap1

Hey fellas, I'm looking for some pics of engine compartments from the early to mid sixties. I would really like to nail the whole ""Super Stock" or "serious street racer" from the day look. Kinda what I have in mind on my Biscayne is alluminum finned valve covers, headlight ram air, correct fittings and hoses, and white painted headers w/cutouts. Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Well, I'm not sure if it's correct for early - mid 60's, but the 283 in my 55 has been together since the late 60's, (about 1968). The intake is from about 1970, though.

Attached Files:

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I can tell you what wouldn't be there...no one wire alternator, no 8MM brightly colored plug wires, no plastic tie wraps, no HEI distibutors and no MSD boxes on the fender well.:D

It's fun for me to find the parts that were available from what ever era I'm building for. It's not as easy but more rewarding for me. I love the 2 piece cap on the early Mallory dists. Early sixties headers were most likely not a bag of snakes and more like the Hedman's of that period.

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

put together 65-67..........still the same

Attached Files:

5. mj40's

mj40's

I'm interested in this also. I graduated in 65 and planning a build like I did it back then. Never though of taking pictures then.

6. cheap1

cheap1

"Torkwrench"..........I love the 55. Is that a balast resistor on the firewall?

"Tommy".........I couldn't agree more. I have plans to relocate the MSD to under the dash and do something with the pro-billet distributor. No fancy neon plug wires or anything here...........but there may be a zip tie or two:D

"gasserjohn"..........What can I say. You can't argue with the real deal.:cool:

There was a 63 Biscayne gasser build "Project tin can" I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with. Tim Gavern built the car using all vintage speed parts that were available in the 60's. I think he said there was nothing newer than 67 on the car. How cool is that. I guess there is something to be said for a magazine backing your build.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Not a Chevy but I'm building a 56 Ford in a style from the early 60s. Yes that is a ballast resistor on his firewall. A very common sight back then. I hunted for a while to find an original 57 Ford ballast resistor. It was mounted on the engine in a metal case that is drilled with cooling holes. It may seem silly to some but I think it's cool.

The wires are Packard 440 with Rajah clips at the plugs.(the first hop up items that I bought for my car in 1963)

[​IMG]

This Chrysler electronic ign. uses a ballast resistor so I put it right out in the open just like we did in 1963.

I always check out the hose clamps. I have a drawer full of the everyday stainless screw clamps but I'm always looking for period hose clamps. They make a difference.

[​IMG]

Here is the coil I plan to use.

[​IMG]

It matches my distributor. It's not installed yet.

My buddy mounts his MSD boxes under the dash.

8. cheap1

cheap1

Very nice! Are the rajah clips being repopped? That's definitely a nice touch. I was at the MCACN show in Chicago last month and saw "KOMOTION" (Motion prepared 67 corvette). The car is a time capsule, in storage since 1969, and he had Raja clips. Very cool!

9. cheap1

cheap1

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holley/Ford 94s were used in place of the modular Holleys on many late 50s/early 60s non-stock tri-power Fords, but never Rochesters or Carters-they were for "foreign" engines. :eek: I'll bet 94s would be much cheaper to buy and rebuild than those GM carbs, and would be "period correct" on any FE or Y-block.:) But I do like what you are doing, an FE in my favorite pickup, the '56 F-100. :cool:

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You could get them drilled for either carb, 3 or 4 bolt. This one was NOS and came drilled for the Rochester carbs and I like them. I'm actually a converted GM man. I understand and respect your loyalty.;) Rochester's were available in the early 60s so someone could have done it.:D:rolleyes:

14. The Rochester 2GCs have been available on SBC since 55. Has been a million of them used in all applications. The sought after ones are the 348 tri power models (58-61). Aftermarket bases and shafts and linkage are readily available nowadays to duplicate them.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

In the sixties I was not concerned with how things looked and just that it worked. Now I'm much more concerned with the look of things. Wires and things are more hidden now then "back in the day."

16. cheap1

cheap1

I think that's how it was for a lot of guys back in the day, but that in itself created a "look". The hard part nowadays is finding the correct parts for the year that you are trying to re-create. I'm sure everyone can relate to that.

I'm glad Tommy mentioned the Rajah clips. I just updated my Christmas list:D

17. Good thread, I'm in the same boat, I have a '62 Fairlane and I'm trying to go the same direction.

what about hose clamps? I hear everyone talk about how traditional hose clamps add a nice detail, but what kind to use? t-bar? dual wire?

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

You guys are gonna start talking about the right bolt part numbers next.........

19. Haha. Nah, I just need to get my engine compartment under control, its ugly and messy. Anything to help clean it up. I've blown tradition out of the water with an HEI on a Ford, but i'll try to keep the rest looking appropriate.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hard to hide an HEI on a Ford.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't think it matters too much which style. That's a personal preference. I was thinking about using the GM single wire spring style. I still have the special pliers for installing and removing them. They are a PITA with out the pliers. The tower style are pretty cool. There are a lot of options instead of the stainless screw type that everyone uses. I love the thumb screw type but they were about over with by the early 60s IIRC

I agree and I try to do it like we did it back then...not over restored but real.

22. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

How about Putting gauges on the fire wall? No self respecting 60s show car would do without them. I putting them on my '63 Studebaker gasser firewall. 'just saying. Normal Norman

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

'67 eh? Thats a nice trick...

24. A Biscayne engine compartment has to start with a multi carb W motor and a bellhousing. Mallory dual point and a Sun tach with the sending unit on the firewall or inner fender.

25. You ain't kiddin. As soon as I open the hood it just about slaps you in the face. But for $40 shipped, brand new with a warranty, it was a cheap way to get a tune up. Down the road, when the wallet allows, I'll look into something a little more appropriate.

26. Ahh, yes. I have two different sets of those pliers from when I worked at a Chrysler dealership, they used a similar style on the heater hoses.

Good call on the single wire clamps. I'm pretty sure hardware/home improvement stores sell those, and for cheap.

27. cheap1

cheap1

I agree, you don't happen to have one laying around to donate do you? :)

How about a 400 small block dressed up as a 327 w/multi carbs?

28. cheap1

cheap1

This is what I'm dealing with. It looks like I'm ready to go short track racing on Saturday night.:eek:

Attached Files:

29. at least you have a pretty clean slate to start from, some cal custom valve covers and a different air cleaner would do wonders.

30. Dune Buggy Power

Dune Buggy Power
    from L.A.

Hi,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454352159

I built "Tin Can," my 1963 Chevrolet Biscayne, as "period correct" as possible to 1967. It was a 51,000 283, 3-speed on the column car that lived it's entire life in So. Cal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454300027
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454300709
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454300547

Note torched front springs (previous owner was clueless). It still had rusted floors (Biscayne's leak). We replaced the entire floor with a 2-piece floorpan set from Classic Industries (we welded and finished the seam, so you couldn't tell the floorpans were replaced.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454340919
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454340299
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454311065
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454306647

Images show original engine compartment and finished compartment. Tin Can's 283 ran so well, that we didn't even pull it out. I just cleaned and painted it. I added a 30-30 cam (Cloyes Tru-Roller timing set retarded 2-degrees), solid lifers, C4B, Holley 650, M/T "boat" scoop, an M21 and 4.56 posi. unit. Hope my pics help. BTW: car was sold a few years ago: is now "restored" as a 409/425 4-speed Biscayne.
    Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71466386@N08/6454366873
    [​IMG]