Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 pontiac 2dr hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53catalina400, Dec 16, 2010.

1. 53catalina400

53catalina400
    from Mebane,NC

My 53 catalina turns out is a 54 starchief catalina got some pics of the old girl to post so far just been taking her apart and seeing what im gonna need. I got some old 14" pontiac hub caps i plan on running over the 16" truck wheels. i also have a stock mustang 2 crossmember (not sure what im gonna do with the front stub or mustang 2). rear end out of 98 explorer(may change ??) i do need one taillight and bezel. i would like to keep factory steering column. thinging of going with hotrod black and pearl white top, red wheels, im going to either run trailblazer bucket seats or keep factory (its still in good shape). still dont know what motor to run i have a roller 454 block , all the makings of a 301 or 327, i would really like to find a 421 sd but i dont have that kind of cash. even an old buick or caddy engine would be better than the bbc or sbc. let me know what you think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 53catalina400

53catalina400
    from Mebane,NC

bumper ideas?? 55 caddy for the front ?? rear??

3. 53catalina400

53catalina400
    from Mebane,NC

[​IMG]

these are the hub caps i want to run what year are they ive been told 60 and 62 maybe thay are 60-62 ??

4. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I love hard top! good luck.

5. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Gotta love those 53-54 Ponchos. Nova sub-frame works well, not sure about must II . Good luck with your project

Attached Files:

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'm using a jag front end under my chevy, which is close in dimension. I'm almost done, so I can't say how nice it rides yet.

7. lawman

lawman

Yoy got a nice start. Tom (Tired Old Man)

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The wheelcovers you have are '60 (www.hubcaps.org)

My dad had a '54 Pontiac Star Chief convertible in the early sixties. I loved that car.

9. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Black with red wheels......WOW never been done before!
    That car deserves a little more thought than black and red wheels. (IMO)

10. I'm guessing that the mustang 2 is already under there?

If not a rebuild on the stock front suspension is actually a viable option. Maybe I think that because I'm old and drove those old boats with the stock suspension. '59 Buick brakes are also a good option with the original suspension. They were designed to stop a boat not a fox body.

The 421-SD is not the only good engine that Pontiac produced I think you will find that a 389 will be more than sufficient. You can stll stuff it full of SD pieces if you like. Actually a 326 poncho from an old Tempest would get you done the road it would just be more of a day cruiser than a speed boat.

Olds also made some engines that are viable choices for your project. I don't think I would leave that option out. I have seen some of them going very reasonable and the cost to overhaul is not much more if any more at all than to overhaul any toher engine that is worthy of your project.

That is a very neat old boat and with a lot of TLC will make you one smooth cruiser.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

plumfat40 said it! '53/'54 Ponchos RULE! And frankly, they're getting really hard to find. Their are a bunch out there that are done REALLY BAD, also. Not sure why that it is. Some great ones as well, though.

Suggestions... Find the stock bumpers and grille and put them on. AT LEAST the stock bumpers. They work well with the car as-is. You can pick them up very reasonable and are the same as '53 Pontiac bumpers.

Engine... Another vote to keep it Pontiac! You can pick them up reasonable. Even a newer Pontiac 350 or 400 can be had for very little money and there are a TON of parts out there for them. Running an early 389 in my '53.

Great car! Do it right! There's not many out there. And PLEASE! For the love of God... Don't make it look like a Chevy! :D

Good luck! Keep us posted!

12. just for fun

just for fun

Went to the Turkey Run this year and the most impressive engine I saw was a 51-53 plymouth flat head 6 with a aftermarket aluminum head and 2X2's, and that includes engines that cost as much as my home!
    At the Gainsville NoBillet Show there were a few pontiac's still using straight eights. Save yours if you can!
    Got a lead on a couple of flatheads and seriously thinking about pulling my SBC out of my T

13. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I love these pontiacs. PM me with the parts your looking for. Ive got some stuff around. Do some homework on custom cars before you tear into it, and keep that bench seat!!!! Heres my 53.

[​IMG]

14. 53catalina400

53catalina400
    from Mebane,NC

i like those ideas, no the must 2 ifs is not in. i was thinking of rebuilding the stock front and doing the 58 swap and ball joint conversion but it seems to be hard to find all the parts
    what year jag are you using i do have an 86 or7 xj6 in the yard

i know black on red is over done but it looks kool

realy would like to do a early 60's hot rod and keep it drivable
    engine will have to stay in GM family

thanks for replies keep em comin

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stock front end is a good one to rebuild. I know people that run the stock brakes even, but if you wanted to upgrade to disc, scarebird makes a kit for the conversion. Fatman also sells the dropped arms if you feel the need to run them. Just cutting a coil off the stock springs may do the trick though. Rob Paul above is a good one to chat with about the stock front ends and what's possible. As you can see, his has a super nice stance. I believe CPR has everything you need to rebuild it as well.

Actually... I need to look up front end rebuild parts for myself too.

16. Were the chrome windshield mouldings stock on those cars??

That is pretty cool!!

tok

17. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I would look at 73-77 grand prix's for frame and motor donor , lots had 400's , even the poncho 350 ran well. got 18mpg in my 76 GP , handled well too . Repairs and upgrades will be plentiful .

18. Scootermad and 53catalina400

I got the pieces to do the front on my Stude from Vaphead, Dmarv (in Exiter) is also a good place to look for pieces for these old hoopties.

I know the Buick brakes go on pretty easy I adapted some to a '53 Olds way back when they would have been considered an upgrade.

Lots of possibilities for that old Poncho. I'll love to see it all dressed up for the prom.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks PB-er!!

20. I live to please. :D

21. 53catalina400

53catalina400
    from Mebane,NC

yeah thanks beaner

22. RdnLow63

RdnLow63
    from SoCal 818

nice Poncho

23. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Along with a sbc in anything.

24. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Very cool Star Chief! I've got a 54 Chieftain and I kinda wish it was a hardtop.

Save that straight 8 if you can. They're not fast, but they're smooth-running motors ... and they make a real conversation piece at the shows. Out of all the stock motors in 50s cars, they got a good amount of attention.

25. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

Great looking body style. These cars don't really need a lot to get a custom look to them. A lot of people ditch the suspenders because that's what Pontiac did just a few years later to build their performance image. Personally, I like them, that's what defined the Pontiacs of the era.

The "Sombrero" style hubcaps that came on these cars are great looking wheel covers. I'd like to see someone try a set of 8-lugs on a body style like this. I think it could be pulled off if done correctly.

Keep it Pontiac powered. I'd vote for keeping the STR8 8, however, a 389 or 400 would probably be a more practical and cost effective option. The 389 of course would be more period correct, but 400s are easily found, dirt cheap, will make great power on pump gas for minimal coin, and speed parts are plentiful. 421s and 428s are getting harder and harder to find. 455s will cost a little more than a 400 initially but can effortlessly make stupid amounts of torque with basically factory-spec. parts.

26. 53catalina400

53catalina400
    from Mebane,NC

i think im going 400 with th350 picked up a b&m hotrod shifter got any pics of kool valve covers for pontiac?? thinking of just a mild cam and 3 deuces set up

im going with the gm sub frame or mustang 2 (i will have to build a stub or buy one from fatman fabs) the explorer 8.8 31 spline rear should be good to go with axles drilled to 5" pattern

im also trying to stay with the 5" lug pattern but if not thats kool

27. Because Pontiac Blue runs thru my veins I have to recommed a 65 and up Poncho V8. 326-455 they are out there and parts availability is good plus the ability to bolt a T350 or 400 behind it. Cal Custom valve covers are best, just don't get caught up spending crazy money for them. A tri power intake has to be 65 and up, the Pontiac carbs are expensive but you can get cheapo Rochesters and convert them. Stacey did a carb conversion on Gearz last weekend, said a kit was available thru Speedway.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  28. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Look at later model Delta 88's or caprice police cars. Later model being 77 up , it is the same chassis basicly as the 73-77 A body but they used a 5x5 bolt pattern on some of the Olds and Buicks as well as police optioned caprices up to 97 .

29. 53catalina400

53catalina400
    from Mebane,NC

i have thought about the 71-76 the wheelbase is also the same as the star chiefs 124" the frame runs very close to the outside of the body i think it may be too wide i havent thought about stubing the frame(if thats what you mean) i can get some numbers on the fram next weekend if they arent avalible

30. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Yeah just stub the frame unless you would like the factory 4 link in there too , but you can clip front and rear and leave middle stock .Rear can easily be made to fit on the leaf springs, No reason you cannot narrow the center of frame eather. Weld your tubes inside before you cut old outside of frame off so it doens't have to be measured and trued since it never gets a chance to move.