Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Aluminium Riley roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is a photo of a model A wing that I repaired using gas welding, Gas welding allows the weld to be dressed out to a high standard very quickly even in steel.
    [​IMG]

David

2. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

HOLY CRAP!!! These pics are pure sex!! I mean really!I'd love to learn how to do that!!

Awesome build by the way...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. WOW.....This is just awesome, THANK YOU!!!!

5. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

I'm really impressed with your work, and skill, I wouldn't worry about what some of these people think about gas-welding alum, it's working for you and it looks great.
    Beautiful craftsmanship!

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys! 51Gringo thanks, took a look at your website you do some nice work!. Your tig weld look very nice. I have not had any negative comments about the gas welding in this thread although I know some people don't get why anyone would use it. I have tig and mig but I use gas on bodywork 99% of the time, its just easier to work with.

David

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

I'd have to agree, that it's easier to metalfinish and fun to do. At my job, we restore vintage Aston Martins, I do all the metalwork there. The British are amazing craftsman, and some of the most beautiful (dambnear invisible) weld joints I've ever seen on a handbuilt car. Very skilled indeed.

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I have done a few Aston Martins myself. Bloody nightmare superleggera on the DB4s-5s & 6s! tubes everywhere you want to get to. Made bumpers for those models too. done a couple of DB2/4s, not quite so bad but the bonnets are a nightmare to get fitted and working properly. Built a one off 2/4 convertible (its on my youtube footage) You are right about the welding on Astons though, Superb!. I use the same methods but their welds are always spot on.

David

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Sorry I have been really busy, I have several builds on at the moment, including a very interesting car which I will post on here when I get time. I will post more as soon as possible.

David

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Standing by! Always looking forward to some great metal shaping!

12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Well that is about it. I have shown all I did to this car, the customer has got it on the road now. Below are a few photos of the finished body (as far as my work was concerned)

David

13. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Sorry the phiotos never showed up so here they are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy CRAP! That is AMAZING!

15. Fantastic! David, you are a ruler. The wife and I watched your DVD again the other night to "get in the mood" to go in the shops and get some work done, Ha!

16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Ha ha - Thanks!

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

God! My wife hasn't even watched it!

David

18. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

My family came from Scotland (a couple hundred years ago ;) ), so you'll get this-
    F#$kin' BRILLIANT!:D That car is magic!

19. skincat

skincat
    from kokomo, in

absolutely stunning!!

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

David,
    There is talent and there is Craftsmanship! This is definitely the latter! OMG, this Riley is gorgeous! Great work! Be very proud of the build, it's fascinating!
    Great avatar as well Model 40's are my fave!
    CK.

21. harald

harald

That is incredibly beautiful work David,very impressive. I did a lot of gas welding when I worked in Germany in the heating trade,we welded all the pipe systems,high and low pressure, sometimes in tight corners using a metal mirror to see .I liked it a lot.Might have to get a setup to use on my car again,havent done it in years. Very interesting thread and thanks for sharing it with us.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If I could speak for the peanut gallery, we are amazed. Our collective hats are off. Gary

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BRAVO !!

ENCORE !! ENCORE !!

A great ride, David, you are a Maestro !! :)

24. "The wife and I watched your DVD again the other night to "get in the mood" to go in the shops and get some work done, Ha!"

Christmas is coming up, why not get your good wife a signed DVD.

On second thoughts - if you do you'd better start building an Aluminium Doghouse. As you could be spending Christmas in it....

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Skincat, Ponco John, gnicholes & BrerHair

Thanks guys! =-Like I said before I will post some photos of another build on here to show what goes into building the rear of a car like this.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  26. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Herald There is no other welding that is as satisfying as gas welding to me. Sounds like you were very skilled at it so you should be able to pick it up again. Welding thin ally means you have to move quite quickly but it only takes practice.

David

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

BobbedT Bob how are you getting on with the Pop (Anglia) Coupe? I will stop by your thread and take a look again soon. I remember the day Danny and I first cut that body to turn it into a coupe, in the morning it was a standard Pop, by the end of the day it looked like a coupe!, hard to believe it was almost thirty years ago. Saw Danny for the first time in years at Tony's funeral the other week. Hard get to terms with Tony not being here any more. He was a legend.

Oh and Bob you mean you don't treat Kami to a night in watching my DVD?

David

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Seriously though- you are a lucky man to have a wife that shares your interests!.

David

29. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here's another shop of the finished body....

[​IMG]

The '32 was in for the bobbed steel fenders and a bonnet. Not my cup of tea but its all work.

David

30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the complement, the '33 in my avatar was a total rustout, I made everthing you can see in that photo except the yellow part of the door frame and the rear screen area. I have photos of it in my albums if you want to take a look.

David