Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you save this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ejsands, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ejsands

ejsands
    from Upstate NY

Thanks, Dorsey. You make a great point about the DD costs.

I know nothing about swapping frames out, though I am open to using a modern day suspension. There is a lot of appeal into switching into something like that such as the brake upgrade and such. I looked up the front frame dimensions in my service manual, and posted a picture. Maybe someone who knows a little better about this can give me more info on what would work if I cannot find a solid donor from another 58-61 Rambler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. mickeyc

mickeyc

You mention frame rust. I seem to recall the rambler I had was a unibody
    similar to a early nova or such.

3. ejsands

ejsands
    from Upstate NY

That is correct. The front section from the firewall forward is toast... the rear is less severe, though a wee bit rusty.

I have the original owners manual and window sticker for this car.. as well as detailed log and receipts dating back to 1993. The car had been undercoated several times since 1993... as well as suspension components replaced through various repairs (balljoints, bushings, etc). Somewhere between 1997 and 2003 (when we bought the car) there is a huge gap of non-information. Not sure what happened between that time period to let the car rot so severely so fast. Like the front end was parked in the Dead Sea or something.

If I am able to find a donor frame from another car, I assumed that the front section can be cut off and the "new" metal grafted in.

4. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

the track width of the 78-easrly80's monte carlo is 58.5", not sure what the rambler is

5. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I don't think a clip would work without a full frame rebuild. That unibody won't take much hp.

6. oj

oj

That car is a survivor and a keeper! Stick a front clip under it (nova or camaro) an sbc and lower it a tad, 4 speed with the bench seat and you'll have a car that everybody will love and respect.
    I tool around in a '67 International Travelall and i have a smile from ear to ear. It is different, it can be far from perfect because there isn't another around that people can compare it to. Like your Rambler, it has personality and that is priceless.

7. ejsands

ejsands
    from Upstate NY

I think it is considerably less... somewhere in the area of 45". The distance from the inside edge of the RF frame to the LF is 31.5" according to the diagram, and 38 3/8" from the front tip to the firewall.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Looking at the drawing you posted, I don't think that 45" is correct, that leaves no room to turn the wheels.

wiki has it at 55"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_American

perfect for an s10.

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yeppers!

10. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

if its 55", i would look for a donor car or do your own rails for the stock setup or a build a sub frame for MII

11. ejsands

ejsands
    from Upstate NY

The American is a very different model than my car. I believe it is smaller, but even if that is the case, then 45" is obviously still not right. The car is not at hand for me to measure. Who knows, perhaps the Classic/Six had the same track width. My shop manual does not reference the American since it is a different car. This is something I'll have to take up with the AMC board, I suppose.

I'll hunt for a replacement in the meantime and resort to other means if something suitable cannot be found.

Thanks again for all the advice and help. You guys (and gals) are really great. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  12. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

i was at the local yard today and looked at one there and even tho it wasnt to bad of shape i think it wouldnt be hard to cut out the old rails and add 2x4 box rails in its place. i also looked at which i believe was a year or 2 newer and the frame rails looked somewhat similar, but the crossmember and lower arms are a different style

13. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Not too bad; I've seen worse. A nice piece of history. pigpen

[​IMG]

14. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Yes. I wanted to say that too. pigpen

15. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Who are you calling stuffy? :D And a "cogger" too? Looks like someone didn't do too well in English 101. :eek: pigpen

16. ...I have a good title for a 60 Rambler wagon...