Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 55 chevy gasser find!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gripelec, Aug 19, 2010.

1. falfas55

falfas55

Great find. You've got to raise that front end though. I love those 55's.This one can be bought.Please pm me for info.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. Herdez

Herdez

Chevy front axle and spindle like yours even if it was pre 55 (shorter width) shares the same bearings as a 55 chevy car spindle, same brake shoes and hardware too. The reason that axle is popular is because all you would need to do is change out the 6 lug hub to a passenger 5 lug hub, throw some passenger drums and rims and you were good to go. The black widow 57 chevys would do the opposite and run 6 lugs. To update the brakes to disc you get backing plates and do a chevelle disc brake swap, everything slips over the same spindle with chevelle bearings.

3. gripelec

gripelec

Right on Paul, thanks. I agree Nadablock. The car is going to flat black. A few accents here and there (no billtt) and diamond tuck interior with an updated cage.

4. petes65usa

petes65usa

Great looking 55 ...awesome find, graphics have to go IMO

5. JAWS

JAWS

I found one like that.

57 150 that ran D/stock in the 60's. Came from California clear to Idaho to the air force base. It was sitting in a field, still had the complete drive train. I pulled the 3 speed and put a 4 speed in. Other than that, it was how it was raced. Had remains of all the lettering and where the stickers where.

Long story short, it was a great runner and I sold it.

New owner blew it apart for a complete redo, interior and all.

Now it's shinny and a street rod. With not resemblance of it's former glory.

My point is this. You will regret painting over the history. Maybe not for a while, but you will.

6. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

my 55 is getting a numbers matching 70 Ls6 4 speed chevelle 454 i got it from a guy that had just the engine for years.

7. Hey Jake? The only thing numbers matching was the car VIN. to the engine serial number. So if you don't have the car anymore there is no numbers to match.

8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If your still trying to figure what axle you have check out this website. They deal with dropped axles but have the stock dimensions on most early axles.

http://www.droppedaxles.com/index.html

9. I'm going with a 50' for mine.

10. gripelec

gripelec

Thanks 55cheiftan! 55-59 is what I have great site, this answers alot of questions I had and on what to do next. Anyways here's an up date; I picked up a 57 3 web Pontiac rear end with 4:88 gears and long studs complete drum to drum for 100 bucks out of Denton Texas, a nice guy I met through the hamb brought it down today. Thanks Jay! And I have my motor for sale and have a line on a 427 race motor. I'll post pics and details later. I have a turbo 400 for sale with converter not sure when I'm going to list it but money will be goin a powerglide with transbreak and a 5,00-6,000 stall. Picked up some Fenton Gyros 3.5 fronts and 10 inch rears. I love slot mags especialy on a 55. I'm having to rethink the whole front end and ive decided to run a cromoly streight axle with coil overs and radious rods. I'm also cuting 3-4 inches out of the rear radious to get the ass end down more and I have the spears for sale that came off it. They are in excellent shape. Anyways on the Pontiac rear end I'm buying 35 spline strange axles and spool. Would have loved to run summers brothers but can't afford it. Getting rid of all the flat glass except front and rear and instaling lexan windows. I'm ditching the paint and mickey mouse (sorry mickey) and haven't decided on color. As far as intake looking for trx1 edelbrock Tunnelram and 660 center squirters. Looking at call tracks for the rear leaf set up and a monoleaf spring set up. Pics comming tomorrow. Again thanks for the great tech info and words of encouragement.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  11. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

lol yeah i worded that wrong i guess, engines from a 70 chevelle ls6, where that car is no clue. hows that bad ass 55 coming along?

12. that bad ass '55 is now painted Hugger Orange and waiting for money to finish.

13. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

coil overs, cool sounds sounds like a lighter way to go.

14. Got pics. You can see the lace pattern roof as done by Blue Kollar Kustoms in Ventura Ca. Good friend of mine so if you want to get ahold of him PM me.

Attached Files:

15. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

Man that looks great!

16. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

Cant wait to see an axle in that thing, are you going with the same rims as before?

17. Kinda miss the flat white no frills look sometimez. I was having alot of fun 'til it got wrecked but that did turn ok obviously, otherwise it would still be white.

18. yes I feel that all tri five chevys call for Cragars and a 4 spd.

19. gripelec

gripelec

Great looking car, who else is running coilovers?

20. gripelec

gripelec

Talked to Richard Ruth today that built the original TLB cars and he has the TLB (two lane blacktop) kit available ready to instal just like the one in the movie. 6,500. comes complete. Look up Ruth Industries. He has to be one of the nicest guys ive talked to. he cracked a few jokes and told me all about the tlb car and the rebuild. Anyways, if anyone wants one of his front straight axle stubs custom made with coil overs and radios rods he's the guy. His number is 209-383-3190 and he will tell you all the details. Here are some updated pics.

Attached Files:

21. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

Watched TLB today love that movie! anyways are the pontiac rears stong? i have one out of a 56 wagon would it be the same? was thinking about using it but was worried about strenth.

22. Mac_55

Mac_55

Mannnnnnn what a bitchin find ! Gotta love it . Im runnin the fenton gyros myself , 15x11's out back and the 3.5's up front . Well , not really runnin em as much as rolling them ha ha . I to have the 55-59 truck axle , i just felt it fit so much better than the earlier axles that made the springs sit inboard so much.

23. 55chieftain

55chieftain

There ok , but the last year of the early style rear. 57-64 is want you want. Do a search for Pontiac Olds rearend tech for more info.

24. I have acquired a 1964 Pontiac Olds rear with 3:42 gears and a posi. When I get the axle done I'll get that installed too.

25. gripelec

gripelec

Love seeing the 55 five guys chimming in, best car ever IMO but thats just me. Thanks for the complimets. Mac 55 can u post some pics of your car? Love to see it as well as all the other 55"s out there.

26. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

Mac im using the same axle with 3.5 rims was a little worried about width but man your car looks awsome, thanks for the reassurance. are you using the speedway brake set up? also did you do anything to keep the tires in or is that were they end up?

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

Guys i typed up a big response and when i went to post it , i had been logged out because im on my sisters computer thismorning at her house so ill wait till thisevening when i have access to better pictures , all i can get here is whats posted on my facebook .
    But i will say That you wont have a problem with front axle width , the bigs n littles really take away from it plus the tires dont hang out and personally i like the wider stance look , ive seen a few with the tires tucked wayyyyy to far underneath . I really like the wider axles.

Hood scoop is leaving to make way for a blower once i save up the money to go on the 396 ,just didnt have time this year, also the shackles up front are just some mockups so i could find the stance i wanted .

This car didnt get touched this summer due to me working on other peoples stuff so i dont have any really recent pictures, i used the stock frame instead of stubbing it because at the time it was the most cost effective way seeing as how the donor truck was behind the neighbors barn , I did use the speedway disc kit and thier hd springs , i think they are 6 leafers. If your insterested in everything ive done i can post that up thisevening " stuck in town in a winter ice mess , had to bring the wife to work and kids to town" .

Heres a few pics from along the way that ive got on facebook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. gripelec

gripelec

Anybody else with a 55 gasser want to poat up some pics of there riDe? Love to se them

29. Mac_55

Mac_55

Thank you very much for the compliment .
    Gripelec i think you will LOVE the gyros on it . Im a huge fan of the 200s wheels also but like you i found out everyone else loves them to and judging by the prices they love em alot more than i do ha ha. So i found the skinny gyros on my brothers 67 nova and found the bigs through a wanted ad i placed in the local wheeler dealer looking for aluminum slots . scored em for 100 bucks !

If you search my username on youtube " macfrederick " it will post up all my vids and i have one with a slide show of the cars progress and one of the interior also .

Jakedmoe ill try to find a picture that shows how the front end with the wheels line up , I think youll love it on yours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. gripelec

gripelec

Very cool ride, your big and litles look kick ass. What tire are you runng on the front?