Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowriders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Aug 3, 2009.

1. lgh1157

lgh1157

Starlite is killing it

2. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I love it. Ive been on this thread for three days and I cant get enough of the early scene. Not always my cup of tea with some of the full show cars ... but still appreciate the level of craftsmanship.

Anyone going to Sacramento Art Museum coming up in Jan? I heard they are having a lowrider art show or something for like 3 weeks. "The Art of Low"

Has anyone seen this exhibit? Is it worth checking out?

http://www.sacramento365.com/event/detail/440951475/Lowriders_The_Art_of_Low_and_Slow

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Here's my '69 Grand Prix. Candy fuschia, Buick wires. From a Polaroid taken in January of 1969.

[​IMG]

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Youre right, the California script confused me! Looks like a swedish plate over a Cali one.
    I'll dig a little and see if i can find out more.......as for the LRM comment i wish too, but i doubt such a car would make it in todays LRM. Such a shame i know, but it is what it is.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Dutch plate

6. Eryk

Eryk

Badass!!! Skylark wires?!?

My family LOVED Grand Prix. This was my mom's 69 GP that my grandpa and my uncle built. The pics were taken between 72 and 74.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was my Dad's.
    [​IMG]

7. I thought I would finally jump in a little on this very fine historical thread!

I've been literally into and loving Lowriding and it's culture and heritage since that story on the Imperials in a '74 issue of Hotrod and my first issue of Lowrider Magazine in 1976.

In the very early eighties, Lowriding started to spread in the Midwest with Chicago being a great part of it. It started out very small and was modest at best. There were no high dollar cars yet at that time around and our bitter winters didn't exactly promote the lifestyle. Just alot of poor kids trying to get some East L.A. and King & Story cool.

Anyway, I was heavily invovled in this burgeoning scene at the time and took some pics at what I believe is the second Rockford, Il. Lowrider show, later to be moved to Sterling, Il.. Both of these towns west of Chicago had large Mexican populace and started what became a pretty big event in the Midwest.

Dig it and enjoy...it's the summer of 1982!

Joel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  8. A few more pics...

Attached Files:

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I always wanted to attend that show. It`s good to see pic`s of the chopped Monte Carlo again. You have to keep in mind that Low Rider Magazine didn`t become widespread until about 88 or 89, The first issue I saw on the newsstand was about that time in Omaha NB. It really gained alot of growth in the 90`s in the smaller towns in the midwest. In 87, me(I was 17 at the time) and two 40year olds installed hydraulics on our cars. My 69(Post 1119 page 56), a white 69 Impala and a 67 Grand Prix. A very uncommon site for a small town in Iowa. Thanks again fopr the Pic`s.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Tom dude thanx for that!
    I still have that folder w/ your rides and this has gone right w/ them. One day when im gonna have more time im goin to upload them on my Fotki archive, that for now is pretty much useless, but i hope to make it worth waitin for one day.

Peter pan dude, awesom too! Love the chopt Monte!

11. sean_2010

sean_2010

coming soon old shcool pics

12. Eryk

Eryk

Los pinches japoneses! Always taking shit to another level.

Sean, nice to see you here homie!

13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool. Mr. Davison, please keep posting pics of your cars they are great!

14. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

it is...you can get it at 7-11 and red apple around here in seattle

15. zomb1e

zomb1e

ok people, what color would suit this car?[​IMG]its an aussie 65 falcon?

16. Holy shit!!! loving this

17. Loving this too

18. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Attached Files:

19. I found just a couple more photo's from the 1982 Rockford, Il. Lowrider show. Please enjoy...

Joel

Attached Files:

20. What in the world are these wheels? I have never seen them, and they look awesome.

[​IMG]

21. Me, not so much. Nothing wrong with it, but I pity the idiot that thinks this is a driver. Sure, open the door on me. Who is more stupid? The guy who hopes to drive the car, or the poor dude who makes the mistake that ends this guys World? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.....Centurion9

22. RdnLow63

RdnLow63
    from SoCal 818

23. Those are Astro Supremes with a spinner knock off caps!

Joel

24. RdnLow63

RdnLow63
    from SoCal 818

25. tcb-1

tcb-1

I may not like them all, but g-damn. these cars are works of art. I bow to thee......

26. Philbilly

Philbilly

Two bad ass rides! This thread is awesome!

27. whats this guy talking about? someone explain please :confused:

28. gorillaFart

gorillaFart

he's mad at the world.