Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield heads for model A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwijeff, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Im putting my new/old 30 model A in the shed on sunday and im already schemming up go fast plans, so i jump on here and searched winfield heads.
    A lot of diffrent threads came up, except one just on winfield heads.
    So, can anyone supply any info on these? I can get one for $750 kiwi and want any info related to them. Can i just wack one on with any significant power gains?, is it best with twin carbs?, or will i need to go through engine and spend more cash to see any real power gains?
    Does the winfield take the stock manifold or twin carbed one as theres a nice twin carbed finned one for around $185 kiwi.
    All info will help, so thanks in advance.
    I realise i wont get tyre fryin performance, and id like to run early 283 eventually, but for now, im working with what ive got.:D

Attached Files:

2. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

run what u got.. i never had so much fun going so damn slow. bangers are great an fuel efficient seems everything u do to one it doesnt hurt fuel mileage. have fun

3. trmel3, ill be getting it running as is, but im checking my options.
    I like your line,
    "I never had so much fun going so damn slow."
    Can i use that for my signature when its running? lol.

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Try the banger meet on here

5. Thanks brokenspoke.

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

7. thanks Keith, ill make time. ive a lot of learning to do.
    model A will be in my shed from sunday, so thats my christmas present.
    im soon to be looking for some 46 ford rims and theres lots to carry on with such as firing up that old banger. :)

8. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

When I bought my '30 tudor it had a stock C engine with A manifolds & carb. I ran it at the Auburn hill climb. For the next Auburn climb I had changed the C head to a Winfield 6:1, it went up the hill a full second quicker. That same day I pulled the stock intake and put on a single Stromberg 81, it gained another full second. At the next Auburn climb I changed to a 97 carb and gained about 3 tenths of a second, all with the stock lower end including the B cam. Compression and carburetion are the 2 quickest and easiest ways to gain power.

9. Thanks. Ive a lot to learn.:D

10. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Before the carby change as noted above, I had changed from the stock 'C' head to a Winfield 6:1 head, and gained a full second on the hill, this with the stock A carby.

11. RussTee

RussTee

rule of thumb high compression heads and heavy flywheels dont go togeather also its surprising what a thermostat in the cooling system will do