Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats ur favorite multimeter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Im starting 2 learn a little bit about electrical and am wondering whats a favorite multimeter for automotive. I recently purchased a fluke 115 for like $160. In the electrical book that i bought, The guy says hes had his fluke 87 since 92!

2. fluke 87, does everything i need it to and more.

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Have a Fluke 8020 B and a Simpson 260. Seldom use anything other than the Fluke.

4. R the 87s good for the backyard builder? or for more professional? I know there like 400 bucks. If they still sell the 87s.

5. i use an actron unit.. its the cheap one at autozone.. but it is decent.. its only like $15 too... hasn't let me down yet.. just used it tonight to troubleshoot a dryer...

6. I've got a fluke 87. It's a great unit.

7. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

The 87 is great meter. I use them all the time at work. Wide range of capabilities. You will never need more for automotive. A little pricey and overkill for the house in my opinion. I still got my 25 year old fluke at the house that I used to use for calibration. It does everything ever needed and then some so I will never change it out.

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have a couple Flukes but the old 77 is my favorite, had it since about 86, case is a little warped from a shop fire it went through. I rarely leave home without it on the front seat. I used to keep an old craftsman analog just for reading spike, not sure if I still have it.

9. 63Compact

63Compact

Ive got a Fluke 78 Automotive meter does everything Ive ever needed and more.

10. eticket

eticket

I have used a Fluke 77 since the 80s and use a Simpson 260 when I need to measure some real current. For 90% of the garage, and home work, a good Digital Volt Meter should work. You should be able to pick up a used Fluke 77 -87 for around $50.00, check the pawn shops in your area, craigslist, or evilbay. Most of your work on the car will be measuring resistance ( does the wire make it from point A to point B, and not connected to a ground (shorted)), and are you seeing 12V where you need it. The one thing I like about my fluke is the beeping function when checking for continuity, it makes not having to look at the display easier by just listening for the sound when checking some wires.

Mike

11. cide1

cide1

I use a Fluke 179 when diagnosing and installing, and I have yet to find a problem I couldn't solve with it. I'm interested to know what features the Fluke 87 has that makes it worth the extra money.

For emergency tool kit, I have a basic Craftsman meter.

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Old cars, old school meter, Simpson 260. Not good for some solid state electronics but a good unit. For when the 260 is too bulky I also have an old analog Triplett 310.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The Fluke 87 is a great meter, use one at work all the time. A model 12 I believe would be suitable for automotive use. Wish I had a Simpson 260, just because that's what the Navy trained me on back in the '70s. Cool old multimeter!

14. 1940rpu

1940rpu

I have a Fluke as well and us it a lot but for the old hot rods I seem to only use the audiable (beep) conductivity setting. Great for chasing wires without having to look at the meter for the numbers to jump. I would not consider a meter without that feature.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got a Fluke 87 and also a cheaper Ideal 61-603 ($50) and although the Fluke is a way better meter, it's really more than I needed for automotive work. I own it because I was an electrician before retiring, and needed it for work.
    The Ideal is more than enough meter for anything automotive, and I use it most the time as I don't worry about dropping or damaging it like I do the Fluke. I've had both of them for many years, and they never need anything but batteries.

16. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Fluke 77 since 86'

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one I can find that works when I need it but I'd sure like to have a Fluke. They show up pretty reasonable around here when the latest dropouts from the local tech school sell off the tools that they were required to have for the class.

18. I love my old PSM-6. It was the one I learned on in the USAF, and boy is it rugged. I don't have a pic of mine...this pic is from the internet.

[​IMG]

19. uc4me

uc4me

fluke 87. Had it since 92, works great, needs a new LCD though (have to look at it at an angle to see readings)

20. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Fluke here too, very high imput impedence on the low voltage ranges, perfect for troubleshooting the digital devices in the newer stuff. Had mine since 86. Can't beet the old Simpson 260 for ruggedness, they survive many a Navy technicion at sea so they will live in a home shop!

21. canadianzed

canadianzed

Hard to beat a fluke, I've had a 179 model since about 2005.

22. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Had my Fluke 77 since 1987. Never let me down.

23. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

The EICO is a bench meter, a $10.00 swap meet item, that came with a small analog VOM, too. Both work fine, and the price was right. The low voltage military tester, QMC Model I-42, will do anything you could ask for or imagine on an older car, and it has directions on the case. I've got a cheap didital meter in my tool box, but I prefer analog. When I did field service repair on lift trucks, I had a Simpson 260-it was indestructable. I'd start out with a throwaway meter for practice, it may be all you need.

Attached Files:

24. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I'm an electrical engineer and have been messing with electrons for years. I have several Flukes, which are great. For the average auto guy where you dont need to measure true RMS AC voltages, any cheap DVM will do the trick. What I like to buy is one that has 10 AMP capabilities for trouble shooting abnormal high currents and one that has an auto-off feature so I don't drain the battery.

25. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Anyone use one that has a graphing screen like the snap-on vantage?

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I like my analog Simpson, got it from work when they were getting rid of them. the needle deflections can tell you a lot.

27. squirrel

squirrel

My favorite is the Heatkit test meter that came with the color TV kit we build when I was a kid.

The meter I use now is a Fluke 77 I got on ebay a few years ago for $50.

Another favorite is the TS-297/U that we used a lot when I was a kid. Still has that good old military surplus smell when I open the metal box.

I don't seem to use the Nixie meters much, they're bench or rack units and not real convenient for working on cars.

28. oj

oj

Fluke 87, but heres' something to consider. The digtals (like fluke) read voltage so easily that you can fool yourself, hold the proble near your computer screen and stick the ground probe into your finger and it'll read voltage from the screen. For this reason i rely on an analog meter as well, if i feel i am getting dubious readings from the fluke i'll pull out an old triple t or simpson, they are bulky but will tell the truth.

29. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I've made alot of money with my Fluke meters over the years. My old trusty Fluke 77 is now in my back-up tool collection. My favorite is my Fluke 87 and a close second is my Fluke 36 clamp meter...

30. 383 240z

383 240z

Buy the fluke and never look back, its a GREAT automotive meter, I have had mine for about 20 years now, I spent the first 15 years of my automotive life trouble shooting electrical problems on British motor cars, It has made me a LOT of money over the years, no need to buy new get a used one I see them for sale pretty often, e-bay also check search tempest. Keith