Register now to get rid of these ads!

cowl steer gas alley streetrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicked customs, Dec 15, 2010.

1. wicked customs

wicked customs
    from canada

wanting to put cowl steer in my model a and found a kit from gas alley street rods. has anyone used this kit and if so is it good or should I just make my own?

2. you got a link?

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

fuxl....."you got a link?"

Google......."gas alley street rods" took less than a minute to find it. Give it a try.

4. Casey J

Casey J
    from Ada. MN

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you're building a go kart, I wouldn't...

I hope Gas Alley Street Rods has good insurance with that kit. Doesn't look remotely strong enough for something to be driven on a regular basis. Box looks fine... It's the rest.

[​IMG]

Are you looking for some kind of bolt-on setup for a reason?? There are a ton of ways to make your own setup that would be more substantial. Might have to call on a friend or two if you don't have machining tools, but in the end you will have spent less money for something better.

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

I bought the kit and reversed my box. You could cut the splined end from the Corvair arm and weld it in a tube with flange like they did if you can keep it concentric and parallel. I did mount my box to a plate hung from a cowl rollbar. I think they used 3/16" flange bolts. I'd step up to 1/4" bolts if making one. I also went with a pillow block instead of face flange bearing. The 5/8" Corvair input shaft is a bit of a problem, too. I welded on an agricultural U joint, drilled out the splines and drilled the other end for a 3/4" shaft and added a dune buggy tilt lock.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. wicked customs

wicked customs
    from canada

I was planning on machining everything myself I just saw this kit online and thought I would see if anyone tried it. I am buildind a 30 sedan open wheel with large diameter wheels up front so I definitely need to make the steering strong

8. Sorry, been lazy at work...

I built the cowl steering for my truck "Chris Casny Style".
    Here's the link:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297314