Register now to get rid of these ads!

Persistence Pays Off - After 5 Years - A One Owner Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draginsteel, Dec 14, 2010.

1. draginsteel

draginsteel

I have been stopping and bugging this old farmer for over 5 years to buy one or both of his trucks. I had asked at least once a year for the past 5 years. About two months I drove my 1963 Ford F-600 pictured below over to the farm and went to the front door and asked if I could speak with Farmer John, that’s really his name. His wife asked what for I told her I wanted to talk to him about his truck. She said he wasn’t gonna sell it but she’d get him anyway. Funny thing is my wife said I was crazy too and he’d never trade. I asked him to come out side. I told him I had an offer for him, to trade my Ford for his two Dodge Trucks. Little did anyone know Farmer John and his sons are Ford men. It took about a month of “thinkin” about it a couple of test drives of the Ford, but they finally agreed. Then it took another 3 weeks to clean out all the good stuff they had in the trucks before I could pick up and trailer the trucks home.

The truck with the homemade camper shell was John’s High School Graduation Present. He graduated from Grand Junction High School in 1947. In October 1946, John’s father took the 1937 Ford to the Dodge dealer and traded the 37 Ford along with $800 for the new Dodge Pickup and a new 1947 Dodge Sedan. John’s whole family used the truck until 1979, the wooden camper shell was for hunting trips. John would sell some of his farm produce in Craig Colorado, about 170 miles from Grand Junction. He meet up with the local coal mine owner who said if you bring me a truck load of produce every summer I’ll let you have as much coal as you can use all winter in exchange, Farmer John agreed this went on for several years. In the fall of 1979 John was driving up 9 Mile Hill (about 7,000 feet) between Meeker and Craig when apparently the recently serviced Dodge’s rear end plug vibrated out, all the oil splattered out and the rear end seized up. They trailered the Dodge back and it has been parked since. Later someone else sold them the other Dodge truck (a 1946) for parts and a rear end, (I’m guessin $25.00 from their comments) It didn’t run but the rear end was still good. The 46 Dodge was the Highline Park Grocery Store delivery truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plans are to build one fendered and lowered pickup with updated running gear and one fenderless pickup with updated running gear that will squeal the tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much difference in the two trucks except the headlights and fender placement.

[​IMG]

Morale of the story if it’s important, don’t give up.

2. NealinCA

NealinCA

I like your Ford...but the pickups look like fun too.

Neal

3. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

you are real young, arent you?

4. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Cool score! FYI...the "parts truck" is a '39-41.

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

jesus fenderless truck christ please not another one

6. Man that ford looks nice.

7. Watch out for the skunk in the last pic!

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

There is one of those 4 houses down from me. It has sat out front my whole life and the owner has zero plans to sell it,but never drives it.

9. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Agreed

10. davidh73750

davidh73750

I remember a 42 dodge truck like that in the neighborhood back around 81. It was Painted flat black, some chrome wheels on it. Inside was painted red, the stickshift was painted like a candy cane or deal outside a barber's window. never forget it. It also had stacks like the lil red dodge trucks on the step sides. I thought that thing was so neat. I know where one is that's a wheat truck

11. Way to go , sounds like every one came away smiling, ,,,Sam

12. draginsteel

draginsteel

No I'm Old Thats me in the Avatar Picture in 1975.

The Title says 1946, So it's possible the truck sat at the manufacturer until after the war, or they used the old 41 tooling in 1946, the more likely scenerio. Or somebody screwed up at the DMV, but how could that happen.

touchdowntodd and Edsel - You don't have to look

Besides driving fenderless trucks since 1975:
    [​IMG]

13. draginsteel

draginsteel

Not planning on keeping the flatheads in either one, been there done that with another Ford flathead

[​IMG]

Ford was a nice truck, used on the farms for 30 years and it had less dents than my newer Dodge 2500. Kinda hard to drive though.

14. Cool story. Love the idea of cruising in a fenderless truck like that. Since 1975. That's great.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

x3

totally different truck. those Dodges look like ass from the front without the fenders. The grill does not lend itself to it.

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

He made out like a bandit!! :D

Just kidding, looks like everyone is happy. Keep us posted on your progress!

17. historynw

historynw

Hey go back for the Chevy car parked next the camper shell truck.:D

18. That F6 would have made a nice ramp truck for me:D Damn.

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like your plan and two for one,makes for twice the fun........ Way to go.............

20. draginsteel

draginsteel

The "Chevy" is actully a 47 Pontiac, it's mine and is a future project.

I thought of making the Ford 2 ton into a car hauler, anything past 56 mph in that truck was scarey. It seems we live a long where from anywhere and that just didn't seem like the right path.

Thanks for all the kind words!

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You could say the same thing about a Deuce Hiboy couldn't you?

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

X2+ the Jesus Christ part.

23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

No. That's a great look. A fenderless truck from the mid-30's and up look like ass if not done right and sometimes when done right.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010