Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rocky Jr's "The Burris Coupe" Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RockyJr, Nov 12, 2010.

1. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

Dad and I have been getting hot on the coupe finally and taking lots of pictures...thought i'd start this thread and share.

[​IMG]
    Here are a few shots of the existing frame. We'd hoped to use this frame but its been through the ringer so to speak and the amount of work needed to clean it up just made us realize we'd better off building our own frame from scratch. ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the beginings of the new frame. I like it better already.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the body off the frame I can finish addressing the cancer in the back half. I'be replacing the inner fender panels and patching some areas in the lower areas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FIRE GOOD!​

[​IMG]

This shows the pinch on the front frame horn tacked​

[​IMG]

unboxed rear kick up of 8"​

[​IMG]

front kick up of 4"​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

union negotiated break?​

[​IMG]

Security patrol​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cardboard template for rear kickup boxing​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rear kick-up's all nice and boxed​

2. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

a few more pix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took a bunch of pix of the body as it is right now. You can see I've done some patching here and there on the cowl and got most of the top welded up. I did most of this work last winter and sprayed it all down with Gibbs to keep the rust from coming back. Haven't done much of anything behind the doors yet. The driver's side door is still off the car and needs to have the lower 4" section patched but otherwise in pretty decent shape.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

and a couple more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

We...well, dad... got a little bit done this week. He got the front cross member put in and one cross member in the rear installed. He also got the front end bolted up and the split wishbones welded to the frame. He tacked some mounts for the radiator just guessing on the height without having the body back on the frame.

I went down today and cut the plates for boxing the front Z but his wire feed welder kept jamming up so we didn't get any more welding done.

A couple friends stopped in so while we had a few hands we decided to set the body back on the frame and see how things were coming together. We obviously need to lower the radiator smidge Oh well...minor details.

Next up is getting the rear end back under the car. Instead of using the 32 cross member and model a transverse leaf sprint we're going to use coil springs.

Then we can get the motor positioned and figure out our motor mounts and transmission cross member.

Not a ton of progress but it's something and I enjoyed just hanging with dad today. Good times.

I think i'll go ahead and order the inner fender panels from Howell's...i found them on e-bay for $55 anyone have any experience with them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

5. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

Had an awesome day...took off work and spent the whole day with dad working on the coupe. I'm enjoying this build so much...love hanging with dad and see this car get a little closer each week.

Here's all the work we've gotten done since the last post.

We got the firewall in
    [​IMG]

we decided to go with the jag rearend
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put some exhaust together
    [​IMG]

And we just decided to go with the olds dash today.
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to get back down there tomorrow and get a few more things finished up on the suspension. We'd like to get it back down on the ground soon.

6. cobramerc

cobramerc

Very kool,nice job on the frame

7. sololobo

sololobo

Lookin good "G" men. Very impressive work, can't wait to see it rumblin down the road. Salina? Hope so, keep on keepin on. ~Sololobo~

8. Butch M

Butch M

lookin good.....

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool!! Kan't wait for the next update. I'm thrilled that I'll get to see this
    Coupe alot when it is done... Love the dash idea.

Happy Trails, Mick

10. yblock292

yblock292

Its about time you got your old man to do something!Looks great, gotta come see!Very nice work,
    Jack

11. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

Sololobo....not sure when we'll have this thing on the road...Salina seems reasonable, but right now i'm just trying to focus on the next step and enjoying the journey

thanks for the encouragements guys

Yesterday was more a shop cleanup and piddle around a bit. We both had evening plans so we didn't get a ton done. I did drag out the shrinker stretcher and built one of the radius for the whole in the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping we'll have the car ready to go back down on the ground this week.

Before that can happen we need to build rear radius rods and shock mounts for both front and rear. Once the car is back on the ground we can finally get the body height set and floors in it. That'll be a huge milestone in my mind at least.

12. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

Was really hoping to get down to dad's today but it's not looking so good...i should be able to get down there tomorrow morning bright and early though. Dad's made some good progress this week. I did sneak down over my lunch break a couple of times and took a few pics.

He managed to get a set of wish bones...he's already got them cut and blasted. Ready for welding in th jag bushings for the rear end. We're still working out a few different ideas for mounting shocks in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He got a great start on the Olds dash too. Here he is making the first cuts.
    [​IMG]

After cutting it down to size he was able to get it into the blast cabinet. I'm super happy with this...it's gonna be KOOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I talked to him yesterday and he'd found a steering box our of comet...not sure what year but that'll get us away from the cowl steering...which i had some reservations about anyhow.

Looking forward to getting down there tomorrow though.

13. Looks good guys.
    I like the dash.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

15. yblock292

yblock292

16. H3O

H3O

sweet sweet!!! can't wait to see how this will turn out Rocky!!

17. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

i`m so jelous that u guys can buy stuff like a old olds dash and stuff like that,here in sweden we can get hold of opel 83 bumper or a volvo 93 fender or maybe a citroen 00 seat or something,it is not fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

Hubbcat...looks like you're managing...but yea I guess we take a lot for granted. Hate to say this but all i had to do was walk out to my dad's shed and say..."yea we should use that olds dash"

I must be losing my touch though cause he refuses to give up a hemi for this project.:confused:

Got a quick update. When i got down to Dad's on Sunday he'd already got the dash in. It's every bit as kool as i'd imagined. It's going to take some work to get is all smoothed out but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He'd also pulled the trigger on the front shocks. Hub came up with this idea....I've not seen anyone do it this way...at first I wasn't completely sold on it but the more i stare at the more i like it. I can imagine it looking pretty sweet all dressed out it chrome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Looking killer man!
    Can't wait to see it in person, and get some shots :)

20. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

It's looking really nice Rocky!

21. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

Merry Christmas everyone...just a quick update. I got a few pix of the subfloor dad is putting in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad also had these 39 chevy taillights that we thought we be kinda neat gauge pods...although i'm thinking they'd be better under the dash instead of on top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Car looks good so far, Except for the front shocks. I would rethink that setup entirely. It looks unworkable in my humble opinion. Looks like it will only move about an inch. You will feel every little hole in the road. The tank looks kinda like an afterthought as well. The car doesn't need it to be cool. Sometimes less is more. Take my opinion as you will. I am really nobody of any importance.

23. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Pretty cool. Pretty cool.

24. farmer12

farmer12

This is one great build. Keep up the good work! (must agree on the front shocks though)

25. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I agree on the shocks too..

26. DougHH

DougHH

Looks good man. Cute French Bulldog too. i have a 5 year old one who helps me with my builds ;)

27. Butch M

Butch M

Hey Merry Christmas Rocky and Rocky Jr the car is lookin great....

28. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

Yea...I'm not 100% sure if they'll work aesthetically or functionally. Of course if it doesn't function properly then looks are of little concern but I'm willing to take the chance until I learn why it doesn't work. I've got mixed reviews about the front shock setup both online and off but nobody's told me why it won't work yet. Either way it can be easily changed if I do find that it rides like poo.

I'm heading down again today and I'll be sure to get some pix of what we get done.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback. I do appreciate all the constructive criticism and encouragement.

29. Redhouse

Redhouse
    from derby, ks

hey rocky,
    looks killer man! can't wait to see more build pics!
    jason

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a lot of work going on there