Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mice....... Small things can make BIG problems.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALOW1, Oct 28, 2006.

1. jonnyquest

jonnyquest
    from Nebraska

I had my pickup in storage for many years and I had major vermin problems in the headliner and under the front seat when I got it out. I sprayed the metal surfaces (non-painted) down with a combination of hot water and vinegar, then wiped up the moisture with clean towels. I then put a small, open bowl of cheapo men's cologne on the floorboards when it was hot. It smelled like a whorehouse for a few days, but when it settled down it was much better.

One tip I'll always use in the future if its being stored: crumple up tin foil and put a ball of it in the end of each exhaust pipe, and put some inside the air cleaner and over the top of the carb. Mice won't chew through the metal because it drives 'em nuts. I've seen this done, and it does seem to keep them out of the exhaust and intake.

:)

2. olympiab

olympiab
    from Michigan

When I brought home a 48 Plymouth 4dr that had resided in a field for a couple of years, I opened the 4 drs and used my leaf blower to blast them out. Worked well.

3. wood470

wood470

I ve had good luck with those noise makers in my motorhome. Had em in the air cleaner luggage compartment and even on top of the gas tank where they ate thru the wires to the electric fuel pump. That was a pain with 75 gallons of gas in the tank.

4. big bad john

big bad john

......hey.......this post is four(4) years old..........

5. Spity

Spity

4 year old thread back from the dead, I cant believe a FNG actually used the search button! Its a HAMB Christmas miracle.

6. mj40's

mj40's

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It is sort of comforting to think that that those mice are now dead!

8. had an old 55 chev that hadn't been started in years. When I got her cranked up, it didn't want to stay running so I was pumping the gas and it was just barely going. It started to rev a little higher, then a little higher... then.... about a half pound of dog food blew out of the tailpipe and sprayed all over the wife who was standing behind the car. About that time a very upset mouse came flying out of the tailpipe and took off towards the woods. One of my best memories....LOL

9. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

:D That's funny, I don't care who you are!

10. ejsands

ejsands
    from Upstate NY

We had some nasty mice/rat problems in the 55 DeS we bought and cleaned out in Feb. We wore masks to avoid catching the plague-- it was some pretty nasty stuff up under the rear seat.

As far as cleaning it out, we used Simple Green. It's non-toxic and environmentally friendly. Our seats will need recovered anyway, so we'll likely have the frames blasted and repainted. For removing the pee smell, I have used Natures Miracle in the house when our dog was still a puppy. Did a great job taking the smell/stain out.

To keep them out, I like the mint oil idea. Seems a better alternative to the stench of mothballs.

[​IMG]

11. brewster55

brewster55

just like to point out, they might not like the smell, but they like the taste.

i read this somewhere else a few years ago, put a few bars in my car, and came back to them eaten, and mouse shit and piss all around them.

12. flthd

flthd

12 gauge with deer slugs