Register now to get rid of these ads!

The first NEW??? 235 speed parts in 50 years???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6inarow, Jan 13, 2010.

1. 6inarow

6inarow

Still working on it. We are a couple of part time hobbyists, so "life" has to fit in too.

We are thinking we should be able to get the bugs worked out by late summer and be ready then or the fall.

The flange is done, Kevin has the prototype intake almost done, Dickster has the linkages and set up covered. So its almost set. We will run a couple prototypes this summer, recheck some flow numbers, get the final casting figures together and if it all looks like we think it should, we produce it.

In the meantime, how about someone sell me a matched set of complete HIF 44's (or YH's) so I can look 'em over???

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Hey Tom, you do know the YH's are side draft, eh? The YF's are updraft.

3. 6inarow

6inarow

Yeah, we are thinking maybe a side draft option for lower hood clearances (like my 56). I dont want to build this thing and then have to look at it on Kevins car. (unless you think 94's are short enough to fit under my hood with air cleaners???)

4. Dads1954

Dads1954
    from New York

I WAS ABLE TO CONTACT THE WITH THE INTAKE SHOWN ON THE elhippie64 POST. HE SAYS ITS STILL FOR SALE IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED. I AM FOLLOWING UIP ON PRICE.

6INAROWS SET LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE SO EASY TO WORK WITH. I LOOK FORWARD TO THE TEST INFO. I WILL DUMP MY OLD EDELBROCK DUAL CARB INTAKE THE NUMBERS ARE GOOD.

5. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

In my humble opinion as an ex 54 Chevy 235 owner, it will massively over carbureted with 4 stromberg 2 barrels on the street. I dont recall the exact numbers but I think thats over 800 cfm. Id stay with the 2 singles myself. Just my 2 cents, or a 390 Holley 4 barrel at most, {still too much}but more driveable. Anyone who thinks they can drive one with no carb heat from the exhaust has never tried it. Its a giant PIA !

6. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well when you get to a 250/292 I would be interested

7. chriseakin

chriseakin

Any more progress on the project so far?

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Taking the risk of being accused of hijacking this thread I wish to point out that a "New" mechanical fuel injection unit came out 2 or 3 years ago. It was featured in both the 12 port news and the Bonneville Racing News. I made one for my car and one for another guy with a 261 to try out. Mine worked OK. He never got his car running. Then I made one for a Buick straight eight that is expected to run at Bonneville this year. We'll see. And I made another one for my new Banger (pictured). Didn't really turn out to be a life changing experiance for me.

Attached Files:

9. 6inarow

6inarow

I hope to get some more stuff to Kevin this week.

Damn Rich, the banger sure looks great though!!

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The 261 intake looked cool to. one more throttle body and the Buick had 4 of them. Hope he runs it.

11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

This attitude is why no new parts have been built for these engines in over 50 years.

4 of these little 94's at wide open throttle is 660 cfm. We have stated at least 3 or 4 times that the 4 carb setup is NOT FOR STOCK ENGINES! It will require a small cam with a good header. It will also be a progressive deal until 3/4 throttle or so.

So we are talking about 330 cfm's driving around town. How could it possibly be MASSIVELY over carbureted? I'm fairly certain that the BVOX 2 Stomberg singles are in the 175-200 cfm range, just so inefficient that it's ridiculous.

Some of the best running 270-302 GMC's in history (outside of the crossflow headed engines) ran a McGurk 5 carb intake with Stromberg 97's.

The 848 headed 261 we are building should run great with just 4.

Kevin

12. Little Terry

Little Terry

Blower intake for 235s is what we need :D.

I would like to find one that would take a wade blower, three side draft carbs and fit under my hood.

Your efforts so far look encouraging.

13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Any more info? I am very interested!

14. elhippie64

elhippie64
    from albuq NM

15. 6inarow

6inarow

Well, the design is done and cost estimates are in.

First up is the side draft intake for 235/261. It looks like the header flange is going to run about $125 and is cut on a water-jet. It is a u-fab header.

The first intake will be a side draft for SU carbs. Pattern fabrication costs look to be in the $5000 range and casting will be in the $125 range.

If there is enough interest I'll go ahead and produce them, so send a PM and we can see. I would like to cast 50. I doubt there will be any more. So to split the costs evenly its going to probalby run $250 each for the intake and $125 for the header flanges.

Any interest???

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I am very very interested. I would like to see a finished product and some testing figures. But I would love to have one!!!!!!

There was talk of a BXOV-2 version. I have 6 of those carbs. That would be my choice of carbs. Is that going to be an option??

17. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

You know Classic Inlines is doing some wonderful work for Fords. I personally like the ideas related to Chevy. The problem with the multi is that some of it can be overkill and actually detract from the performance if a fella or gal doesn't know what they are doing. But, when it comes to inlines ....all I can say is, "bring it on". The industry needs to re-evaluate its stance on the inline 6.

18. robleticia

robleticia

Awesome, glad to see some new parts coming out. Thanks for all your doing! Can't wait to see the finished product and maybe purchase one! It would be nice to have the headers too!

19. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

What model SU carbs, from what year and models?

20. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats dudes, the inlines are certainly at an all time popular high. I wish you the best in this cool endevour. It is very right timed. ~Sololobo
    ~

21. robleticia

robleticia

I see a post has been deleeted, does that mean it's back on or........

22. 6inarow

6inarow

Babyearl come through with my intake pieces, so that is done and almost completely mocked up. I have the balance tube and linkage to go.

I have a pair of carbs but am still short 1 (or 2) to match them and get all the linkages worked out.

The front header almost done, and will hopefully start on the back one this week. With any luck I can get them all tacked together and trial fit soon.

23. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

i just can't see anyone wanting to run such a setup :D

[​IMG]

24. robleticia

robleticia

FSHTNK~ looks like you are scaring the hell out of your boy! haha! Great pic and really cool car!

25. 6inarow

6inarow

So far....

Attached Files:

26. I like that!

Will that fit the HF SU's? Those are HIF with the internal floatbowl.

Also the TR-6's had Zenith-Stromberg Carbs, and are fairly common from smog engine MGB's

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  27. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Looks very cool Tom.

28. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

Cheers Robleticia. He had his eyes closed though!