Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don garlits museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roydebisco, Dec 4, 2010.

1. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

WOW! I would love to walk through that back parts area:D! Imagine what you could find!:D

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, you know every part has a story, someone should take the tour with Big and taperecord it.:)

3. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

My dad and I were there, must have been close to 20 years ago. I really really SUCKED that we got there about about 45 minutes before they were ready to close!!!!:mad::mad:

We could have spent most of the day in a place like that!!!

4. It's a great place, if you are any kind of car guy. hope to go again when down that way. Disney is BS,,,this is THE REAL STUFF.

5. Troyz

Troyz

I saved up to take my family to Disney World a couple years ago. My dad & I snuck off for a day and drove to Ocala. I rented a Hemi 300M to drive to the museum. If you really like hot rods it is a must see. Definitely the best day of the vacation.

6. storm king

storm king

Puts NHRA's museum to shame, which is exactly as it should be, because Big Daddy is bigger'n the NHRA! Best drag racing I ever saw was always with cars and tracks NHRA wounldn't let run anyway!

7. swsimon

swsimon

Been there a few times. Well worth the price of admission to see the history of drag racing and the evolution of the cars and equiptment.

8. 6-71

6-71

I am a cheap ass,and I have been there twice.I cant even buy a case of beer for $15.00 anymore. I spent as much time in the "engine room" as I did the rest of the museum.I got a hug from Dons mother the first time I was there(she passed away a few years ago). Inever did get to meet Don,he was out on business when I was there. If I am not snowed in.I plan on heading for St.Pete on thursday,and will visit the museum again before I return to snowy Pennsylvania.

9. Hellvedere Steve

Hellvedere Steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Coalfield

My dad and I went to Big Daddy's museum back in 1997, we were visiting some family who where living in florida at the time. What an awesome place!! I wish we had more time to spend there. One of these days I would love to make it back.

10. crider

crider

I went there back in 2000 And will go back the next trip i make to fla. It's a great place to spend time looking at some real racing history

11. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

I went there a couple years ago and had a realy great time , i spent hours just taking everything in the only thing that ive been wondering ever since is if pouge carb actually worked and how well

12. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

13. Drove my T all the way to FL Billet Proof in '08 and it was worth every chill and drop of gas. Big Daddy fired up one of the old Swamp Rats for the Billet Proof crowd. Next I went into the museum and it was total sensory overload!!

A must do for any drag race or hot rod fan.

14. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Went to florida on my honeymoon and made a day out of hanging out at his place! My wife isn't into it but was cool and let me soak it all in We will maybe go again next year on our ten yr anniversary. When you find a good one you hang onto her:D

15. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Joe, the place should be on EVERYONE'S bucket list...well worth the $top!

16. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Been there for Billetproof and was too frickin cheap to go inside?

Chit.......what a waste

Been there many times. Inside, outside and in the back shops..a few items inside were donated by us.............Don't miss it if you have the chance to be in that area..........Disney?........a waste of time...Gar's museum and Fantasy of Flight are always on our list.

Mark

17. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

must see, priceless collection!

18. striper

striper

During our recent world trip we were in Orlando for the touristy stuff. I had a car so I took myself up to Ocala for a day trip. Left the family by the pool and the outlet stoores. $15? Might as well be free at that price. Great value.

My only regrets: I didn't have a mate to bounce off as I wandered through and I didn't meet Don.

19. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I went there this year with my pops... we had to stop and spend a few hours. Here are a few photo's I took, quality isn't perfect because it was done on a cell phone. I also bought one of Big Daddy's car coats.. it's his Kendall Jacket..red complete with some oil/grease stains and his name on it.. I kinda collect old car coats and when I spotted a rack of his personal; jackets that were for sale.... well....

Attached Files:

20. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

still more...

Attached Files:

21. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

and more...

Attached Files:

22. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

and...