Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BashingTin

BashingTin

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

3. Jagman

Jagman

At least you know what "gams" are! :)

4. Jagman

Jagman

This pic is a model of the proposed baseball and football stadiums for Kansas City, the roof would slide back and forth to protect whichever stadium was being used at the time. Both the stadiums were built and are still used today by the Chiefs and the Royals, however local residents are still pissed about the roof - supposedly it was too expensive or deemd unreliable - and everytime we have a football game in 8* weather, someone complains to the local paper, and here it is, 40 years later and still no roof! :D

5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

7. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

It's a small world department......40LUV from N.J. posted this photo this morning.....Turns out that it still exists and it's restoration is almost done.

I restore and rebuild early cars in my shop.... www.roadinosaur.com ..... I looked at this photo and reconized it as a late Mercer Raceabout built in Trenton N.J. I work on Mercers in particular so I forwarded the photo to a friend and Mercer historian and this is the story on the car....

Thanks for the nice old L-head photo. The passenger in that car, Joe , now owns it, and has been working hard for the past 3 years or so to make it pretty again. His father (the driver) acquired it in the 1930's while he was working for Vince Galloni in Trenton. Vince had once been in charge of the Mercer factory repair shop, and when Hare's Motors took over Mercer in late 1919, Vince left and opened his own shop in Trenton. I was told years ago that the owner had taken it to Vince for some work, and then was unable to pay the bill, so Sam, of Crosswicks NJ, bought it. He fixed it up and drove it in/to occasional parades & shows. Sam gave me a ride in it once, and I spent most of the time watching the oil pressure gauge not move much. Typical L-head problem, which has since been dealt with. We had all been hoping Joe would have it together enough to make the Mercer centennial show at Roebling, but it was not to be. Looks like it'll be on the road in 2011.

Pretty incredible......

[​IMG]

8. thats mainstreet little rock arkansas[​IMG]

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

you're right..the photo ID says...LR_Mainstreet1956.jpg

11. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Not exactly. The Peerless did use Triumph TR3 running gear but had a purpose built tube frame chassis with deDion rear suspension. And, the fuel tanks were in the deep rocker panels on either side of the drivers compartment!

Kurt O.

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

They are neat cars.... a friend owns one and he has let me drive it... A nice sports car that makes all the right noises and they have little fins on the rear fenders....Thanks for the for the info....

Gerry Grant 1969......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Oh hell yes. Smoker wheelie all crossed-up. Hella cool.

14. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Mrs. Woolworth was from my town.

Jennie Creighton was born in Picton, Ontario, Canada on 1st March 1853, the youngest of ten children of Thomas Creighton. She worked at Moore and Smith Dry Goods Store, doing clothing alterations and serving customers. It was there she met Frank W. Woolworth who was one of the clerks.
    She left work at the Dry Goods Store to nurse an ailing Frank Woolworth back to health in 1875. They fell in love and they were married in June 1876. She bore him three daughters.
    She supported Frank in the opening of his great five cent store (1879). Family members were early investors in the Woolworth business, with sister Mary Creighton managing one of the stores in the 1880s.
    Jennie Woolworth hated the trapping of wealth and became increasingly introspective in the 1900s, wishing Frank would give it all up and spend more time at home. Rarely seen away from home after 1914, in later life she suffered from senile dementia, accelerated by the early death of her daughter Edna.
    On Frank's death in 1919 she became (technically) the richest woman in the world, inheriting $40m, but her mind had gone and she knew nothing about it. She died in a nursing home on 21st May 1924.
    Because she died a little more than five years after the death of her husband, under American Law the death duties on the estate (an inheritance by then of $60m) were paid twice—once by the estate of Frank, again by the estate of Jennie—in one of the worst cases of poor financial management on record.
    Jennie will be remembered as a shy, warm-hearted woman and a fine wife and mother. She supported Frank throughout his life, nursing him through several spells of poor health, and encouraging to keep his feet on the ground, spending time with his family. She built a fine home for the Woolworths and Frank was broken-hearted that despite his fabulous wealth all of the physicians he could buy could not find a cure for her "softening of the brain".

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

skirts!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Virginia Mayo
    [​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

how about some vintage magazines from days gone by!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marilyn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Vut da hell honey, hurry up with my bagel and come see vut these crazy kids are doing in the next town.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

are bikinis falling off? man, this stuff is CORNY by todays standards (which are no standards)

[​IMG]

Rhonda Fleming
    [​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 and 52RAM108 like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16 pages or 1/8 plywood :D

21. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Steve Allen a legend here in L.A. I worked on a TV commercial with him for several days for Swingline staplers. Man, that guy was non-stops laughs.
    Just his laugh would make everyone laugh...cool guy...loads of fun...RIP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sandra Harrison in a promotional photo for the horror movie, "Blood of Dracula"....
    ....we've all seen that look before....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Jayne Mansfield

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

uh, oh

[​IMG]

Gene Vincent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

Frank Lloyd Wright
    [​IMG]

Ames, Iowa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey! She's gonna strip the threads!
    Why isn't the dude telling her the right way??????

[​IMG]

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

27. Super442s

Super442s

They must have built at least a few of them. While I don't remember it, I recently ran across these shots of one used by a popular local radio station.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. I agree Dave,although I don't mind the absence of cars if there's a hot girl to look at!

29. Why is he looking at the camera??!

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]