Register now to get rid of these ads!

LIL' Chevy II (Granny to Gasser)Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SmokinBill, Aug 13, 2010.

1. knotheads

knotheads

do you have enough caster built into the front axle?

2. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Speedway axle. perches and kingpin/spindal mounts already welded up. Wedge shims at the perch??????? first time round never done it before.

3. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I'm curious SmokinBill. How are the ergonomics or driving with the car nose up like that? Do you feel like you have to look out through the top of the windshield to see the road directly in front of you?

Joe

4. choke

choke

Very good looking car Smokin Bill! Very clean build. One thing I noticed is you have the tie rod mounted in front of the axle. This will cause problems w/the Akerman effect on your steering. But it can also cause a wobble at low speeds. I had a model T with the same setup. The quick fix is a steering dampner. I drove the hell out of that T after I installed a Volswagen dampner. Good Luck and enjoy!!!!

5. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Cool, going out for a dampner today. and then this is going to be a fun car to drive around and scare this shit out of everyone it comes toward. and as far as driving it...... did'nt really pay attention to the lift of the front. just exited to drive it finally. U turns wont be an option and going in and out of curbs is going to take some time without bending the speedway axle. It's a head turner for sure!!Big cam and header/glass pacs ...sounds like a sprint car......loud and nasty

Deuces likes this.
  6. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Okay, Scratch the dampner,Got the correct info. and aligned the front end the right way, alittle gun shy,but took it out and ran it thru the gears and no more DEATH WOBBLE. man that scared the shit out of the wife during our first few travels in it. she looked at me and asked ............ THEY RACE THESE THINGS?????. Yep.and we will too. Anyway. We are taking it to it's first showing at BilletProof in antioch this weekend. Just squeeked in it's a Pre-'64 show. Hope they let Cragers in.[​IMG]

TFoch and Deuces like this.
  7. Isn't that what makes hot rods fun?

8. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Cool Chevy II. Have fun with it!

Deuces likes this.
  9. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

share the info.. what kinda numbers in the allignment ? caster ? car looks good i may have to build one
    wayne

10. Hightone111

Hightone111

I knew this was the car at billetproof! Looked good man...and sounded GREAT

Deuces likes this.
  11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Spoke to ya at Billetproof. The car is just one bad ass machine.

Deuces likes this.
  12. El Gordo

El Gordo

Beautiful
    & Evil
    Love it!

Deuces likes this.
  13. tpw35

tpw35

What color blue is that on the front clip?

Deuces likes this.
  14. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Thanks guys for the positive feed back, The blue is powder coating and it's called Jeans Blue and it matches the 60's GM interior color perfect. Set my alignment at zero toe in and all is well. she don't wobble no more!!!!!!!!! Billet Proof was a great show. But i liked the drive there and back better. THIS CAR IS A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TFoch, Deuces and tofords like this.
  15. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Still have'nt decided what rear end to use???, go cheap and weld-up the spider gears in this 10 bolt thats in it. 12 bolt? or a 9 inch. people sayin the 9 inch is heavy and alot too rotate?? 10 Bolt won't hold up will it?? 12 bolt with a spool??Also have to move the rear end on the bottom of the leafs to raise the back end up alittle!! Good thing the weather is coming ..... give me some quality time with her!!!!!
    [​IMG]

TFoch, Baumi, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  16. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

This little car is SWEET!!!!!! Giz'

Deuces likes this.
  17. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Im kinda impartital to a bad ass stright axle 1st gen chevy 2. Looks like a great build,you done well.
    I run my toe OUT 3/16 and it goes stright as can be. Was told you cant do this but I did and it works for me.I also was told you cant run a mechancal fuel injection on the street.......NOT. Works well for me

18. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Thanks, I think i need some help with the rear end and frame connectors. Ive been looking at the Globalwest bolt in frame connectors and then weld after bolting in place? I'm wanting to be able to launch the car alittle harder off the line. And by the looks of it, you have got it all figured out!
    Your car is one of the nicest Chevy II on here and aparently the stongest running as well!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  19. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

I bought a alston sub-frame weld in set. Their a must for a hard launch. What RELLY helps is the pro stock anti-roll bar in the rear. With out it this car would never leave rite. I side step the clutch at 5500 on a good track, then hold on and smile.

Deuces likes this.
  20. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Thank you for the kind words. It defenatly isnt as fast as the orange,blown,stright axle one, but its a riot to drive. You get MANY looks both on and off track. My most favorite car ever John

21. 63gasser

63gasser

LQQKS great you did a very good job!

Deuces likes this.
  22. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

23. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Man what a car! You did a great job and it sounds awesome. What camshaft is that? Now that you have the front alignment worked out, how does it drive? On the highway?

Looking good!

Deuces likes this.
  24. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Thanks, It's a Comp thumper cam. Real happy with the build. And after the alignment was sorted out it drives very good. Used some air shocks for now and got the rear end up and almost leveled the stance, But it's still nose high. The cheater slicks ain't very friendly at freeway speeds but around town and such is great.

Deuces likes this.
  25. hillbilly on nitro

hillbilly on nitro
    from USA

I took my drivers test in a 63 Nova Super Sport.Yours is a lot cooler!!!!!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  26. smorick37

smorick37

I used a 57 olds rear end with a spool,4:10 gears,and 35 spline chromoly axles

Attached Files:

• aa.jpg
      aa.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
  27. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Nice. can't wait too see the wagon. has it hit the streets yet. And yes on the spool with gears. workin on mine now.4:11 with a m-21 should be a ripper.

Deuces likes this.
  28. Ricky B

Ricky B

This Gasser is very sick-o !!!! :cool: :D Later Bill !

Deuces likes this.
  29. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Bolted in some Global West frame connectors today. Most likely going to weld them in when we do the roll bar and drive line hoop and lakewood ladder bars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TFoch, Baumi and Deuces like this.
  30. tarzanboy

tarzanboy
    from Reno

good one bill, nice choice of cars and trucks...