Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bed Wood - How do I get this finish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Oct 30, 2009.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

I found this on stovebolt.com

Yellow pine, ebony stain, clear

[​IMG]

2. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Getting a color like that will be the easy part but if you want any sort of clear coating finish you'll have to be very careful of your product selection. Critical if the truck will be out in the elements much.
    Here's http://www.mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing_i.html a bunch of good reading on the topic.
    The truck bed in your pic looks to have little to no gloss and if that suits you you can get that result from a quality exterior house semi-transparent stain, which can be refreshed and renewed without much fuss. You'll get exterior protection from them you wouldn't get from an ordinary wood stain like Minwax ferinstance.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

simple... wet the wood down with water, use a spray bottle. let it stand for 2-3 minutes and wipe it off. this will raise the long grain of the wood, but not the short, allowing the long grain to absorb more stain or dye... let it dry and use a wipe on oil or alcohol based stain or alcohol based aniline dye (the aniline will create a much richer, darker color) and wipe it off as you apply, but keep a "wet line". in otherwords, dont let the stuff you just wiped off dry before wiping on the next area... its a balancing act. dont use a brush or sponge to apply or wipe off... use a clean white rag.

for a topcoat, use a good quality flat polyurethane. dont use minwax... valspar, zar, cabot... all are real good and pretty UV resistant.

4. use sikkens, its designed for marine use- I used it on my cris craft and it holds up well

5. Om my truck I used powdered stain that is available in many colours.Blue and red was used to make purple[on white oak]Minwax-Helsman semi-gloss was the top coat four coats.Two years old now it's held up very well.Here in Canada the stain is available from Lee Valley Tools

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I have used a black or dark brown stain. Apply the stain with a blotter NOT a brush, you want to set the stain into the grain only, rub the blotter into a square foot, apply, rub out the excess with a cotton rag. Complete the piece, if it looks too dark pull some of the stain out using 000 or 0000 steel wool, wipe the grain again after pulling out the dark stain. Let the dark base stain set over night. Wipe out the base again prior to applying the face stain. This looks like a Pecan Stain, most Pecan colored stains give the best fumed oak coloration. Sometimes I mix 75% pecan and 25% walnut. Apply the Face wood colored stain with a rag, you do not want to over saturate the dark and make it wet again. Again let the stain set, perhaps 48 hours, if the grain is not prominent enough you can use a scotch brite pad to pull color back out to your liking, scuff and buff till it looks nice. For a matte finish apply with a rag, for a wet look I would use a sprayer. Water base stains will require some sanding to get a high gloss coat, the fibers will wick the water and swell the grain, if you can I would use an oil product, I prefer Tung Oil. You will have to be safety conscious with oils for fire. Be sure to treat all sides, back and ends. This could be a red oak, a white oak will give you the best weather durability, on a show truck that you really want a high pop grain you may want to take a look at Catalpa, the grain really pops hard on this species in a similar but more powerful way than oak, it is about as rot prone as red oak. Have fun.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  7. fleetwood

fleetwood

Once you have the finnish down, you can darken it up if you have to with tonning laqures. They're in rattle cans and can darken up a finnish with mutible coats. I used it on a piece of furniture and it worked great.