Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 60`s hot rod chassie(modify or use as originally built ?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jambottle, Dec 12, 2010.

1. jambottle

jambottle

I bought this 1932 ford chassie and i think the motor mounts are plenty strong but i`m not so sure about the rear suspension.Since this is an original hot rod chassie from the early golden era of hot rodding,i know how important it is to save this early chraftsmanship!I will for sure have to buy new tires and new cotter keys for all the tie rod ends.I did not mean to hijack Larry`s post and it was suggested i start a new post.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I don't think there's anything important about saving ANY of that! It looks... well... f%#*ed up!

3. choptvan

choptvan

I wouldn't want to save any of that history. Looks like some serious hack work right there.

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

rear suspension looks like dogsh*t,I think I'd give that a complete re-do.lookc like some usable parts just clean everthing up and make it safe.just my .02s

5. There's no sense in saving that crapsmanship. Is there even a rear crossmember? I wouldn't hesitate to rebuild it right and make it safe.

6. F&J

F&J

I try to save old stuff , even things that are borderline...but I have to agree on most of it was done poorly.

Looking at the steering box pic, it almost looks like the rails were pinched-in for a channeled car?

The ladder bars mounted at the outsides will surely crack the rear axle housing.

What is the "thing" that is above the rear coils? Yikes

Lots of cutting and grinding on that frame just to try to save some of the rails.

What a shame to see so many chromed parts are rusted badly

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

The scrap pile will out weigh the "KEEP" pike. If the outside looks good, I'd try to save the original rails.

8. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

back to starting point A

9. jambottle

jambottle

I thought i could add a 4 inch ibeam across the back before i put the 3 window body on.Here is a picture of the dash i plan to use.

Attached Files:

10. rottenrods

rottenrods

I would cut it all off and start over

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's a GRAY marine dash, was that '32 chassis under water for a long time?

12. F&J

F&J

Looks like it is an old Gray Marine Engine dash cluster. Marine engines back then always had backwards sweeping tachs. That's an old one... 20's-early 30's

EDIT: Bob, you type faster :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  13. howco

howco

Strip it down , restore , improve and start over......nice dash pod...

14. If you saw that as a usable chassis minus some tires and cotter pins, then I would say that you need to spend some time reading about chassis construction and safety, or hire that part of the build out. Still, you had the forethought to at least ask about it, so I am assuming you knew this was pretty hoak-t-fied.

I would think that if you are really patient that you may be able to save some elements of this original 60's chassis, but perhaps you should just be concerned with using it's build-style as a guide. For example, you could build your new '32 Chassis with coil springs and home-made ladder bars a la originals, but I would probably use round vs square tube. The chrome touches are rad...I would re-chrome the same elements of the finished build too. Just my $0.02.

15. jambottle

jambottle

I thought i would use a 351 cleveland engine with the home made intake and old supercharger in the pic`s?maybe mount 8 or 10 stromberg 81`s on a homemade adapter.the transmission crossmember needs 3 or 4 coats of high build primer before i put it back in.i thought i could cut a hole in this dash for the gray marine panel(thanks for the ID).I`m sure i can adapt the 28 modle a tranny to the 351?

Attached Files:

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Say what?:confused: Now I know you're pulling our legs!

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe stock, but if the 1928 AR Multi Disk clutch is used is should hold up, Dirt Cars used them in the 1930's and OFFY modified the design and it was used in INDY cars up into the 1950's. I've got a spare and could be talked out of it if it helps you get the project on the road.

18. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Even serious Model A driver's DON'T want to use a stock Model A trans. That frame is scary.

19. jambottle

jambottle

Maybe i will stop by on my way to Florida in Jan.That clutch sounds like it will solve all my problems getting it to hook up.Did modle a trucks have open drive shafts?I have a little concern that using so many carbs might be hard to get it to idle.I guess anything less than 2000 rpm`s a idle, would be aright?

20. Is this a joke?

21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True, but that booger welded assembly of stuff isn't one of them
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

22. wizzard23

wizzard23

I'm calling BS on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I should have asked if this was ever raced or owned by some famous, that could have a drastic effect on the value. Hot Rodding wasn't as popular up in Canada as it was here, I 'd sandblast things carefully.

24. jambottle

jambottle

The guy i bought it from said he bought it from Duke Deadman in Toronto and that he said he bought it in California from a guy called Blackie and he thought his last name was Gargarian(spelling) or some name close to that.Deadman indicated that this Blackie guy han a nice older black roadster and that when he got it the chrome was all nice,but he had let it sit out in the weather for years.

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I like the fauxtina rust paint on it

26. Is it April Fool's Day already, 'cuz this thread seriously has to be a joke.

Oh how I wish it was already April 1st instead of only December 12th.

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Bullshit.

Someone decided he needs a hug or some other kind of attention, and is crying for it with this post.

-Brad

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

:rolleyes:

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

:rolleyes: Too polite T Bird, subscribed:p Can't wait to see the complete build thread. Maybe do a build video and sells t shirts to finance this classic restoration.

30. That sounds like classic Blackie to me!