Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Voodoo Larry and the true story of "The Voodoo Idol" !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62fleet

62fleet
    from San Diego

i am surprised how many people hate this car, i thought it was pretty bad ass... nothing wrong with different..

2. voodoobuick

voodoobuick
    from geelong

3. solid

solid

I'm not a custom guy, but i can see the work and skill level it took to build a car like that. Not to hard on the eyes. I love the paint and interior...who cares what kind of guy he is, i'm sure most of you guys are a-holes too, but i can still like your cars;)...

4. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Saw the car at Salina. I like it!

5. This thread has become a fucking embarrassment.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I would tell you you're an assdouche right to your face.

7. crash11049

crash11049

there will allways be assholes posting, and yes this has become an embarrassment.
    I bet the man has more talent than all of them, its so easy to bash a person when they are hiding behind a keyboard.
    This is the reason many do not post here on the hamb, fear of being eaten by the pigs.

8. glassguy

glassguy

9. nutajunka

nutajunka

I've never met him, but having a dream from high school to build cars and enjoy how the 50's were, can't be all bad, plus he's running a shop and building cars, another dream of his. All this adds up to what alot of us wish we could do everyday, besides our daily 9-5 day.

10. built2grind

built2grind

Spoken like a true gentlemen. My hats off to you Larry. Great work on the car, and like we've talked, not ALL customs are for everyone. My style is not everyone, why should yours be ?????? You accomplished what you were going for on this build......thats all that really matters.

11. Mojo

Mojo

I love the car. I think it's period perfect, exactly like something from the little pages, my favorite era of customs. The internet has made history pretty revisionist, and opinions seem to matter more than personal vision. That car was built with a personal vision, just like the old days. Very well built too, none of that half-assed "rat" crap.

12. yblock292

yblock292

Met Larry and his wife in salina last year, great people, first time they had been to Kansas so we had alot of fun talking with them, and the car is stunning!beautiful workmanship through out.

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Ed roth once told me the following after talking to him for a while when I first met him years ago.....'' Little guy, Your biggest critic will alway's be coming from no talent and vision or they just think they are better than everyone else ''................Littleman

14. I first met VooDoo Larry at the Flying Eyeball Reunion in Davenport when it was part of the Northern/Southern Rodder Reunion. I've always looked forward to viewing his latest creations and have always been stopped in my tracks.

Larry has a public and a private persona and I've seen both. He has opened his shop on two occasions hosting a Chicago BrushMasters workshop to help us in our efforts to raise funds for the Chicago Ronald McDonald House and we appreciate his generosity and enthusiasm. Those same qualities continue to define him in other endeavors as well.

15. Now you guys made Larry use a computer. That's the 4th sign of the Armageddon. I love the car - I get it. I hope to have my heap out and about so I can out with that group out in Itasca I think it is.

16. Jeff J

Jeff J

Larry, keep up the good work no matter what other people say. They complained and bash me back in the seventys eightys on some of my work . Most of the people that are negative about what you build are the ones that couldn't built a erector set with instructions and are jealous of the talented ones , so sad . the only think they can seem to do is flap there jaw and can't even do that right ! Wonder how they would like it if everybody said how negative there car was ! We are artists in our own way and do what we want to do threw our own eyes and like what we do. Again Larry never met ya but keep up the quality work !:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  17. old A

old A

I will give him a lot of credit he built that car in 13 months, working after hours. that takes alot of dedication. How many of you are willing to do that?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  18. Deduction?

19. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

I bet alot of the posters dont have done cars or il get it done in a few years :eek:

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I'm a little late to this party. I havn't thought much about it either way until I saw the video. Now I'm in love.

21. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Ugly ass car!!! And the show in Itasca Sucks Too!

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

This thread has gotten rough. An image is posted of a girl that no one knows, odd comments made about her, a mans work bashed publicly, his character called into question, a guy banned for an extremely odd comment, I hope that the moderators put this thread to rest, it does not show the HAMB in it's best light. We are better than this.

23. What crawled up user AlteredChevy's ass.

How about everybody take a deep breath... If you don't have anything nice to say shut your pie hole.

------
    On a constructive note, is Stitch still doing interiors for Larry or is that guy retired?

24. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

You really have to see this car up front and personal to appreciate the skills required to do that level of a custom! On the same token, you really have to meet Larry in person. I did last year in Chicago at the World of Wheels Event and was struck by his friendly manner. Larry also did a kick-ass job of organizing and running the WOW event. Initially I was amazed at all the self promotion that Larry was doing. After "interacting" and shop talking with him for a while, I realized that Larry does whatever he needs to do to promote his BUSINESS. Back on the topic, the Idol is NOT something I would have built (even if I had the skill) BUT, it is really slick! The paint is absolutely flawless! Last, but not least, John "Stitch" Benivedas did the interior, and it's 2nd to none! Larry accomplished what he set out to do with the Idol; and I salute him for the results of that effort!

26. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

I love the car, wish i had the dough to buy it!

27. Camm

Camm

Bitchen, thats all i have to say................:D

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I think he meant medication.

29. .......

30. Trencher

Trencher

WOW! funny how this all went from a nice thread, to a hate thread, then once Larry posts up it's an ass kiss thread...After Larry had built a few rat rods it was impressive to see that he built a fully finished shiny car!

I also have ran into the same "hate" on one of the local forums I used to get on...just proud of the work I've done so I posted up some pictures and that was all it took....everybody is a critic...just not a builder..the dedication it takes to have a balanced life with a family and still be able to turn out cars is something most don't have...but god damn, they sure can nitpick behind a keyboard...

I DO commend Larry in not telling all of you off...he handled THAT better than most as well.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.