Register now to get rid of these ads!

filter for batwing air cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Jul 16, 2005.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i want to run a paper element filter in a caddy style batwing air cleaner. my measurements indicate a 13 x 4 inch filter would fit perfect. problem i have is finding one that size. what filter are you using?

2. Squablow

Squablow

I think you can buy cheapie four barrel chrome lid air cleaners at Auto Zone and places like that, ditch the lid, and slide the batwing unit right over the top, so then you have a correct size filter and a base plate to use. I don't have a part number or anything but most auto parts stores that sell mudflaps and No Fear stickers should have a 13" cheapie chrome air cleaner that would work.

3. I run a Fram filter in mine. The part number is CA3492. Also the K&N filter E-3699 will fit.

4. silent rick

silent rick

i'll look into those, thanks. i have a cheapy 14 x 3 inch aircleaner now. i have to squeeze and deform the filter to get it inside the batwing. and once it's inside, there's a 1 inch gap at the top. it wouldn't do much filtering.
    if i can find a 13 x 4, it would fit with out deforming and it would seal when i tighten down the wing nut.
    if i can't find a 13 inch, i can always enlarge the opening in the bottom of the batwing to just over 14 inches so it will drop down over the 14 x 3 inch filter.
    i wanted to hold off on cutting the bottom out of it until i found out if there was a filter that would fit inside it.
    thanks again.

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I stock that E-3699. :D

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If you can't find a 13x4, consider running 2 13x2 elements glued together with 3M weatherstrip adhesive (aka - gorilla snot).:D

7. silent rick

silent rick

thanks, the fram fit perfect.

hey mike, if you see this, the 4 bbl and batwing are only temporary until marty comes through with the desoto intakes. no need to go big bucks for just a couple months. i say that with my fingers crossed.

8. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

people need to learn what a caddy bat wing air cleaner is. Instead of calling the stock 4v caddy olds air cleaner that.

caddy bat wing is for the 55-57 dual quad set up it was also used on chevys of the same years.

9. RIBONES

RIBONES
    from DAGO ca

yeeah!!! this is what no one at napa could find for me. i could hug you right now. but i wont.

10. YES, ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!! And rare Pontiacs w 2 4s. Chevys were reversed, upside down, Cads were there 1st and had a V!!

11. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

This is a helpful thread being as i just picked up a caddy 4 bbl top. I know the dual 4 batwing, so does the single Caddy/ Olds 4bbl AC have a name??

Attached Files:

12. YIP, Caddy Olds 4bbl air cleaner!!

13. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Perfect!!! That's what I needed to know!!!!! :)

14. RIBONES

RIBONES
    from DAGO ca

ya i have seen the 55-57 "batwing" air cleaners. they look like a real batwing. but fortunately "people" now refer to the 51-55 olds/caddi aircleaners also as batwing air cleaners. thats what happens over time. and thats fortunate for me cuz even after searching all over pamona swapmeet last week for the non-oil bath insides to a shell of a "batwing", no one had what i needed. now i have a part number :)

15. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

My use of the Caddy/ Olds Air cleaner will take some work. It is just big enough that it won't fit my 56 and line up with the carb stud. I am going to have to use an offset stud and make the bottom piece.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

one For sale here in the parts section for $500. pics of mine with the 13X4 K&N 3699. there is a offset aftermarket base that helps with clearing distributors.

Attached Files:

17. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Looks good!!!!

18. r8odecay

r8odecay

$500... huh, good luck with that.

19. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Mine just came back from the Pinstriper!!
    [​IMG]

20. 2fuzy

2fuzy
    from wyoming

the 3492 does not fit

21. silent rick

silent rick

if i remember correctly, it fit perfect, but that was eight fucking years ago

22. 2fuzy

2fuzy
    from wyoming

not without triming the bottom lip off on my factory olds one
    PHP: