Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My 1951 Chevy Build. New to H.A.M.B.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyogorman, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jremnant

jremnant

man, i like where this is going. subscribed.

2. wizzard23

wizzard23

Good eye and great work Danny. Subscribed!

3. Great work.. Fellow five one man...Subscribed!

4. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have been real busy working lately and it's been 10 degrees outside .. excuses .. excuses ...
    I have done some work on it, but not very much. I got the headlight rings welded in and brushed some epoxy over them and coated behind them with epoxy. Only because I had some left and was bored and it sounded good at the time. I sprayed some Sikkens CF etch primer on it just to kind of see it in some color, you know? I just wanted a visual to see how much hammer and dolly work, welding and grinding, shrinking, etc to do before i could move on to something else. I still have a bunch left. It's pretty rough. It's no Ian Berkey job for damn sure .. lol
    Here's a few pics for you guys to maybe keep us all interested untill I can do more.
    OH yea! I rounded the hood corners and damn I couldnt believe how such a little easy mod made it look so much nicer!

5. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Pics would help. sorry.

Attached Files:

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha . . . isn't that the truth, there are some unbelievable craftsmen here. But your body skills look professional next to mine, Danny. Nice work.

7. robleticia

robleticia

Looks great Danny!

8. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

it needs a hair cut.....

9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Looks great,nice work. The 58 corvette floating grill would look good .They reproduce them for reasonable cost. GOOGAL - 58 Corvette grill. Hope to see your custom ride in Salina this year.

10. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

It will be in Salina this next coming year. Everyone is telling me that Im getting too crazy with it and it will never see the road again. When I got it I was just going to do some small mods, bodywork, paint and just drive it. I figure it's winter and I have a daily driver so why not do as much as I can before the nice weather comes. In Kansas "nice" weather isnt untill May or June. So I still have 4 good months to do whatever I can. Even if it's in bare steel or just roughed in bodywork and primer I will be at the car shows with it. Some people here locally think it looks hideous, some people like it - either way I dont care ... it's mine and I like it. I like all responses and encourage people to speak their mind and tell me what they think would look nicer or better on it though too. Either way - to all the local guys by me .... it WILL see the road again.

11. low merc51

low merc51

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!

12. fbama73

fbama73

Yeah, and I've had a large group of people tell me that my 51 wasn't worth saving. They're full of shit, too. The world (and this message board on occasion) never seems to lack people to try and bring you down. It's their way of dealing with their own inadequacies. Carry on, man- it's looking good to me!

13. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

I've had the same deal. people bash bad welds, bad paint jobs, poor body work, but yet you hand them a grinder or block and they are all about excuses and "havent done this in a long time" .....
    Even after reading some threads on stuff that I thought looked good - man some people really bash. Almost to the point that I am embarassed to even post anymore pictures, you know? I won't quit because there could be someone out there that gets inspired or decides to go work on their car after looking at this thread in the future when its all painted and done.

14. Nice work...keep it up man......

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon, Danny, the HAMB world is a mighty big place, there's a lot of room. There's a ton of us here who have only recently taken up the skillset, welding, cutting, shaping, drilling out rivets, grinding, sandblasting, etc.

You're doing great, and we need you to keep posting pics. Just wish you had a real camera, the poor quality of the cell phone pics are not up to par with the quality of your work. Wait 'til I post my '51 build thread, you'll say "Shit, what was I worried about!!" :D

16. fbama73

fbama73

BrerHair- get that thread going! And don't worry about the skillset- it grows hugely as you go along.

17. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

we need to get busy on your car Danny O cuz now we got mine to bust out to

18. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

its looking really cool man i like it a lot

19. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

thanks again guys. I have been working on it the last 3 days. ill have some pics up in the morning. front end all done and gaps look nice. all the inside of the front end all buttoned up and welded. everything is ground down and cleaned up ready for bodyfiller. yes i use bodyfiller. it looks better than not using it. Ill do all metal over all the welded areas and then just evercoat rage xtreme or gold on everything else.

20. Wow looks great!! I really like the front end treatment.

21. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

were are the pics??

22. robleticia

robleticia

Still waiting..........

23. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Just some mud work pictures. I know a lot of you don't like mud, I do. The metal work wasn't chip foose style good but it was pretty good in my eyes. I have a coat of duraglass short strand filler down first on everything over all the welds, etc and then a coat of regular evercoat light weight body filler on top of that. Right now it;s just roughed in. Im off tommorow so I will bust ass for 8 hours on my own stuff and see if I cant get it glazed and down to 180 and primed. We will see. I still have to finish striping the rest of the hood and body work all that too.

Attached Files:

24. robleticia

robleticia

As long as you are not "building shit" with the mud there is nothing wrong with it. So far it looks great!

25. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

Looks good! I think there must be something in the water up there in Hutch! I have seen quite a few really decent fabricators come from there. Keep it up man!

26. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Here is the glovebox door and clock housing off of my dash I had Ron Pinkston stripe at the 2011 Starbird show in Wichita.

Attached Files:

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool. Good work, Danny!

28. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

29. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Yea, but nothing like Mike Yoder or Roy and Justin Fields. Those guys ARE amazing fabricators. Everything they do is top shelf.

30. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Just some more pics before primer and blocking stages. I am going to run this 1951 Plymouth grille for a while and see if it grows on me. What do ya'll think?

Attached Files: