Register now to get rid of these ads!

Corvair front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattlepperd, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I used a Corvair under a '35 Dodge coupe, and (misguidedly) under a full fendered '26 T roadster. Pinto racks (please use the later, heavier one tht mounts with thru bolts, not the early clamp on styles). I used stock steering arms on one, and for some reason recall using '65 Olds Cutlass on the Dodge. Maybe because I used the 'Olds spindles and brakes?

Anyway, they both drove and handled well, and I didn't have any bump steer in either one. They were both fun to drive.

2. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

There have been several comments about "Could not find parts"
    What parts are these posts talking about?
    I bought all new control arm bushings and ball joints at CARQUEST. I called them and the next day they dropped them on the counter in my shop. Shock obsorbers? In stock.
    If the car drove bad,you did it wrong...

The only arguement that is valid here would be looks and tradition.
    THERE you have a point.

3. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

So what? I happen to be an ass-man.

4. I find it hilarious that one can measure and claim zero bump steer and correct ackerman when the RACK HAS NOT YET BEEN MOUNTED!

5. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

Its freaking hilarious!!! Except that the toe remains true at all ride hights the way the rack is mounted now...so I guess the thing that is the funniest is the fact that you dont know all that you think that you know...and I doupt that you are capable of learning anything new......but I shall try anyway.
    Ackerman has nothing to do with bump steer.it has everything to do with steering angles. Does a rack have to be welded tight to the frame in order to test for bump steer?
    NO. SO...Please do a bit of reading on the subject before you tell me how funny I am.

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I would be very interested to see a graph of toe, camber as the wheel moves through the arc. Also, the parts list of what it took to get the just right combo of arms, rack, tie rods, etc.
    just to prove me wrong.

7. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I had a 26T that I recently sold. It had corvair IFS and Pinto rack. It had 65000 miles on it when I bought it with a 4 cyl motor. I put a V8 in it so I changed the spring to ones from a Vega (I think) might have been Monza. Last winter I rebuilt the whole front-end,bushings,balljoints,wheelbearings---everything---Had NO trouble getting parts.Clarks Corvair has anything for Corvair,NAPA has some parts and there is always deals on E-Bay. I had the shortened steering arms. Anyway,I drove it 10000 or so miles past couple years with NO problems--had it up over110 mph couple times--no problem tires always wore straight across,no cuping or feathering. The car had front and rear sway bars and would corner like a Vette. I didn't like the look compared to a straight axle,but it rode and handled a lot better than any straight axle car I've drove or rode in---So whats the big deal???One thing tou can do to make it look a little better is switch wheel cyl's from R to L and L to R that way the brake hoses are out of sight

Attached Files:

8. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

Caster and camber are stock Corvair at this time.Might get bumped,might not.Chevette rack,"Quick steer" arms Chevette outer tie rods.
    When I get the front springs pulled back out I will make you a video to prove that bump steer is not an issue. I am not quite sure why I am willing to waste my time on it because I can see that you are a negative type of person who would not last long in my circle...not a threat,we would just tell you to "beat your feet"..we just dont hang with anyone who gets off on being obnoxious..we leave that for the middle school kids.
    Calling someone you do not know a liar is really just...well...Child-like.

9. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

Gary,I went disc brakes so the hoses are hidden and the car should stop on a dime. I used a 8.8 out of an Explorer so I have 4 wheel disc brakes.
    I like it. Some of these guys start balling up their tiny little fists and screaming every time a straight axle hits a scrap pile..I like my cars to corner.

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

I believe you.

What you wrote here doesn't look like a crazy claim, and it sounds like you have the tools & knowledge to measure what you are doing.

And this comeback is just priceless...:D

11. purplehemicoupe

purplehemicoupe
    from Orinda, CA

Am using a 65 Corvair unit under my Hemi/ 26 T coupe. Needed the 1 1/4 inches more width between the Model A frame rails that this allowed so the Sanderson headers would fit between the rails. Mounted a 74 Chevette manual rack and pinion ahead of the axle on square tubing, fitting nicely between the member and the stock dimension T grill. No bump steer since the pivot point on the rack matches the lower A arm dimension. Turning radius a little wide but the steering ratio is just right for poor traction 12.6 sec dragstrip blasts! Had a trailer shop wind special springs to weight/height I needed. Fully satisfied and , like you, cheap and almost free. Purplehemicoupe

12. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

try the quick steer arms.

13. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm watching to see how you make it work.

I do know where there's a 30-something mopar fitted with a Corvair front end in the 70's that might could be bought cheap.

14. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

I went ahead and wasted the time..I am sure 53sled will now explain to me that I did not fasten laser beams to the spindles but this is all I am doing to prove the bump steer is not an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-JfwRyE_q0

Now if anyone wants to discuss corvair front ends as a low dollar front end I am all ears. I am sold on them. Want to talk about bump steer? start your own thread.

15. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Looks good to me!

I agree with the statements about "correct" ackerman being nearly impossible with front steer. The arms have to end up inside the wheel.
    I had an '80 Malibu (front steer) and the ackerman was all wrong at the ends of travel in sharp turns. "Schweeeeeeel" city.
    I never noticed a problem going down the road, only on turns on circular ramps in parking garages.

16. pitman

pitman

17. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

My dachshund can set camber.

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm all for using it if you can get past the IFS look and the need to retrofit a disc setup AND source a rack to fit...not to mention the possible need for quick steering arms. (NOT dissing it at all...just looking at the big picture)

However...you simply CAN'T discuss and support its use without addressing the potential issue of Bumpsteer.
    IF it were a modular system with the R&P already located, then Bumpsteer etc can be somewhat disregarded as being "factory set"...but to mix and match parts from various cars you HAVE to pay attention to the minute details.

Theres no reason at all that bumpsteer has to be part of this suspension.
    It's just a matter of putting the pivots in the correct location, as in any front suspension. Corvair isn't witchcraft....

To be honest though...that video wasn't proving much.
    Bouncing the front end on the springs will give you an inch of movement or so, and besides...the chassis wasn't even at ride height.
    You set things perfect at the location the suspension will normally be positioned in, and then test it in full compression and rebound. You don't set it up on a bare frame and then have the car drop 2" lower to be driven.
    Your only fighting yourself if you do that...

(I realize your still locking down the final position of the R&P but it needed saying so that people reading this will give it more importance.)

There IS a nice video in the "suggested" column that shows a neat way to check for bumpsteer using a lazer level and a mirror. No springs are in the suspension so it can be tested across FULL suspension movement.
    I believe the vehicle being set up was a Cobra kit car.
    (NOT that the vehicle is important...just so its easier to find if someone looks!)

19. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

just throwing this out, has anyone thought about using the ifs out of a rampside truck or a van, i did see that they claim the brakes ar the same as a 1/2 ton truck. the a-arms look like a truck setup

20. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The rampside and other Corvair trucks use the front suspension parts that fit full size Chevies of the same era, i.e. 61-63 Impalas.
    The only difference is that the Corvair trucks use a bolt in crossmember to mate the suspension to the unibody Corvair.
    The crossmember is much bigger and heavier than the car crossmember.

21. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

Sounds like the Corvair van suspension would make a nice swap into a bigger car or truck.

22. i can't believe this thread is still alive with people defending ( and seemingly promoting) the use of a Corvair front suspension in a hot rod. i will repeat what i said in my first post....it was a bad idea 30 years ago , it is even a poorer choice now with so many more better choices available for reasonable money

if you want to use it and are happy with it....that's fine , go ahead and put it in

but .....i will NEVER be convinced it is the way to go.

still waiting for the test drive report

23. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

Nobody is trying to convince you of anything.
    and I will never be convinced that $2500.00 is reasonable money.
    For a guy looking to assemble a complete disc brake ifs completely rebuilt with all new bushings for well under $500.00 its a winner. Its a cost thing. Its a preference thing. Why make it a personal thing?

24. not making it personal ,just trying to point out there are better choices for your car

i'd use a model A front crossmember and cross spring , dropped A axle , split some `40 wishbones , `40 spindles and brakes or F100 brakes, maybe a vega steering box. with some careful shopping it could be done for under for under $600.

just to show what kind of guy i am , if you decide to go that way i will donate a nice pair of `40 spindles

25. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

and I have a spare Corvair set up if you want to join the IFS crowd. I will even help you install it! and I will buy beer and pizza. I will let you pump the brakes while I bleed them. You can even pick the radio station.

26. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"Sounds like the Corvair van suspension would make a nice swap into a bigger car or truck."

It might be good for replacing some of the more complicated early attempts at IFS like the GM knee action.
    The ball joints and bushings are still available for the 60s Impalas so they would be relatively cheap. Kits for disc brakes are also available. I think 68-82 Vette front brakes could also be adapted.

27. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

There are two of them in the local junkyard (in fact the guy has like 15 Corvairs) I will get one and play with it and see what it takes to make it work.

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hahahahaha...I, too, have extra parts I'd donate to 36-3window, but sadly (or otherwise), it looks like 36-3window will never be convinced or willing to join the "Corvair" suspension bunch...as I said at the beginning of this thread, I've been using a Corvair under my Stude for over 30 years (1977 to present) and have NEVER had any kind of problems, over 130,000 miles on it currently, and just so 36-3window doesn't get confused and read between the lines, I had it completely rebuilt once since it was installed...I will say again: if installed correctly, the suspension will neither burn tires up or have any bumpsteer...and now we'll prolly hear about installing it "correctly"...!!!

Oh well, skeptics are skeptics...don't knock it until you've tried it...!!!

R-

29. actually , i'm a big fan of Corvairs...my father had a bunch of them , i drove a `65 Monza to high school sometimes. he had a few Greenbriers too

mattlepprd.....i'll start thinking about pulling the Superbell axle from my `28 pickup project. i'll have to make up my mind fast as i'm about ready to paint the frame. i will let you know when you should bring it over. i hope you like talk radio

30. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

Talk radio? I love listening to Rush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.