Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Chevy build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, Oct 26, 2010.

1. nickeynova

nickeynova
    from texas.

[​IMG] can't find any current. from illinois.

2. robleticia

robleticia

nickey~ how about a tig welder? Nice car by the way!

Brerhair~ is what it is, gotta run with what ya got or in my case could afford! But you are right, the Buick grill is SWEET!

3. Racrdad

Racrdad

Thats a kind way of putting it! :D

4. csimonds

csimonds

Reagardless of Chevy, Buick, Pontiac its all GM and that is good with me. You guys have done some unbelievable work on that 51 Chev. I wish it was over 30 degrees at night in my driveway so I can get some work done, but oh well. Thanks for the compliments and suggestions by the way!
    CHUCK

5. robleticia

robleticia

6. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Awesome build. Great looking car, love the stance. I have a 52 I hope to start maybe later this next year. Great job.

7. nickeynova

nickeynova
    from texas.

if i have to buy 1 then so be it. besides christmas is right around the corner. thanks.

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just because Doug lives in Aggie country. Nothing to do with the quality of work. Wish I had me a Racrdad to help.:)

9. robleticia

robleticia

I am very lucky to have such a great friend. I was at his house Fri, Sat, and Sun working on his Belvedere returning the favor. We also had JMD82 and Jracer1 there workin along side of us. We had a great time and it was a blast to get so much work done! Thanks for all the hard work from both of them!There should be some new pics on Racrdads page some time today.

10. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Hey, I had a great time...great friends...great car project....great food...who could ask for more??

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  11. gsport

gsport

great thread... you are "my" motivator now. i havn't been out in the shop in over a month, but reading this gets my blood flowing again...
    i don't know how i've missed this thread.... keep it up

12. JMD82

JMD82

Too much fun!! Your house next?? Maybe a company Christmas party wont get in the way.

13. robleticia

robleticia

^^^^DUDE, your car has pink on it!:eek::eek::eek:

14. JMD82

JMD82

Not anymore, should probably update the pic.

15. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

i just found this thread tonight and i am in the middle of my 51 chevy too. and me and my dad are almost finished with his 51 4 door. and im glad i ran into this cause im most def goin to uses some of your tricks. the bumpers for sure ,the column as well and i agree with you what were they thinking with that thing!?maybe they figured if you got tired of driving you could just let the person behind you take over!lol keep up the great work!!!

16. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

you wouldnt happen to have some pics of the rear setup would you? i am also lowering mine the same way you did.

17. fbama73

fbama73

I agree, the waterfall grilles are gorgeous! I considered one when I was thinking of different grille treatments for my 51, but decided that it would look like I was trying to make it a Buick. Especially if I can't get the idea of a side opening hood out of my head.

And I love what you're doing with the bumpers. It's such a small touch, and most people who look at the car won't notice exactly what you did, but it will be cleaner and more pleasing to the eye.

18. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

any new pictures?

19. robleticia

robleticia

danny~ no new pics this week, I was at Racrdad's working on his car the entire weekend! He should have some new pics up today hopefully!

51chevyrat~I don't have any pics of just the rear end other than what is posted. Basically its just new 4" lower springs with a 3" block. If you want some better pics of it I would be happy to take some close ups for you.

20. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

that would be great if you dont mind.

21. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Did you make your own floor-pan patchs, buy...
    A parts list on wht you used would be beneficial to those of us following your build..
    I'm working on a 51 styleline as a next project.....
    It's a stocker I'm going to turn into a mild custom...

22. robleticia

robleticia

51 chevyrat~ as you you can see, nothing fancy here, 4" springs (3" with the eye flipped) and a 3" block. The pictures you see are under load with a full tank of gas and there is still over 2" of clearance before it hits the frame. However the torque tube did hit the floor braces, thats why I had to raise the tunnel which you can see in the pics of the floor.

spoons~ the floor was all fabricated out of 16 guage steel plate. One sheet of plate is cheap compared to what they want for new pans. I am on a limited budget and couldn't afford the pans so I did it myself. I fell they turned out just as nice and it feels cool to know you did it yourself AND saved money! If you need any help please feel free to pm me anytime, I would be glad to offer up any help I can. I couldn't have got as far as I have without some great help and advise from some really great people here on the HAMB.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  23. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

my thing is i guess my springs must be wore slam out cause i couldnt drop mine that much without it laying on the frame

24. robleticia

robleticia

My next one is going to lay frame:eek: Going to pick it up after the holidays, '54 chevy 2 door. Hopefully it will motivate me to finish this one that much sooner!

25. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

i really like the 54 body. and they look killer on the ground as well. i was at an old guys house about 2 months ago and he had a 30,000 orig mile 54. perfect inside and out baby blue. has been in his shop for 30 years and he had a 50 chevy too low miles.i walked in his shop and about shit myself.

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rob, you've been sandbagging us!! All this talk about budget ? You sly dog:D

27. robleticia

robleticia

BrerHair~ No sand bagging, I am still on a tight budget! I actually used the money I was saving up (for the last 5 months) to buy my glass with to purchase this car. It will set me back a little as far as being able to buy glass but I felt like it was too good of a deal to pass up and it is the car I have been wanting, but couldn't afford. Gonna be crowded in the garage now but oh well. The '51 still has priority and I will try my best not to touch the '54 until it's done, well they are never done, but you know what I mean. Here are a couple of pics of what I bought, no motor, tranny or glass and missing some trim, normal rust in floors and tail pan. The body has been blasted and primed except for the hood, trunk lid, doors and front fenders. I am picking it up after the holidays and I will take some better photos then. Right now I gotta figure out what to do with all the kids stuff so I can fit it in the garage!

Attached Files:

28. fbama73

fbama73

Meh, you can always make more kids. They haven't made these old Chevys for 55 years! :)

Absolutely LOVING all of these '51's and the build threads. I need to get mine updated, then get back on the car- the holidays have slowed me a bit.

29. robleticia

robleticia

Well had to clean the garage today to make room for the '54 that is coming Sunday so I figured it would be a good time to roll the '51 outside and take a few pics in the day light. I went ahead and installed the trim rings on the wheels and I really like them so they will stay! Hope everyone has a great Christmas and I will post some pics of the next project Sunday when I get her home.

Attached Files:

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good! Want to thank you Rob (and fbama73) for encouraging me to post a build thread. Went ahead and did it. Fellow '51 moredoor dad!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541951

Oh, and thanks for leading me to your insane buddy Racrdad's awesome Belvedere project. Ya'll got it goin' on!!:cool: