Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Voodoo donut run 12- 5-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yeah, we're talking about a few options.. I'm open to suggestions for sure. for the record, i'm sure it is hurting their business. think about it, we all go in, buy a donut or two and a coffee (in most cases) and then stand around and clog up their lot for 3 hours and prevent "normal" people from being able to even pull in, so they keep driving. i get it. some places would be cool with it just to be a part of something fun and cool, but if it's costing them money, i can see why they're not into it.

i never asked for their permission before we started doing this, i never thought it would really be anything more than 10-15 cars to be honest, it started out as a fun little idea, and quickly got too big for it's britches, as they say.

so-i'm talking to the guys and we're brainstorming ideas..

the suggestion was made to potentially do it at Beauty Bar, which i'm kicking around the logistics. i'm usually closed on sundays, but i could staff it if it looked like it would work. i would be gearing it more towards a hang-over breakfast kind of thing, bloody marys and truck stop style eggs/bacon breakfast and donuts, etc. there is plenty of street parking on sunday mornings down there, and there is a "pay to park" lot accross the street if we needed it. it's cheap enough to park, a few bucks, and most of the time i don't even pay. if you get a ticket it's for the amount you were supposed to pay to park.
    i don't know, it would be fun. i'm open to any and all suggestions for the first sunday event, i would just want to make sure that it was in portland somewhere, room to park, and some type of food. booze is a plus..

2. 55CHEVROLET

55CHEVROLET

HEH....mentioned to wolfie about doing a breakfast at benny's just this morning...had to log on to see what all the ruckas was about...

3. Payaso

Payaso

We had a Great Run Folks...but it aint Over!!

The ESTRANGED appreciates the support and the suggestions!! Keep'em Coming!!

So...Stayed Tuned...

Keep it Greasy!
    MONDO

4. glmke

glmke

sorry i missed this one. would like to hear what voodoo says about it! I for one think 2-4 hours a month of a clogged parking lot is not that bad. I feel we bring the customers in with the cars and they get the $, win win in my book

5. yeah when someone drives 2-3 hours for a frickin' donut you'd think they would give free coffee with every 2 dollar donut.
    I just go there once a month. I'm pretty sure they don't have 30-40 people in line all day long.
    50 years ago I was in the Model T club. we had about 30 cars cruising. we made a unscheduled stop for lunch at a Shakeys Pizza Parlor. about noon on sunday 45-50 hungry people hit the door at same time with only 2 people working. they panicked and starting by calling the boss to send help. it took over 2 hours to get all our food and by the time we left there were nearly 200 cars in the parking lot and street. the owner thanked us and said "come back anytime but please call first so we can have a full staff"
    it's beyond my comprehension that any business wouldn't pay to have a drawing card like this once a month.

On the other hand ELROBBO might just be a shit starter! and was talking to the guy that eats out of the dumpter.
    I know he has a trailer queen lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  6. NWGreaser

NWGreaser

There is always Krispy Kreme on 82nd. Coffee, donuts, and plenty of parking.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love the VooDoo run, and the people are all polite and having a great time. I can't imagine how they could be losing any money with the number of people buying donuts and coffee. But I've always wondered how the owner or manager could notice this event happening every month and not get the idea to man up for it, so the money could flow in even faster?
    The Krispy Kreme on 82nd is a great venue, and they have a Sat. night casual cruise all summer that they welcome. I know they'd love the extra business and they can run people through a lot faster to avoid long lines.

8. myke

myke
    from SoCal

I do think the guy in the muscle car doing a burnout when he left (light blue mopar something parked by that trailer) and the guy that parked right in the middle of the only space to drive for as while are not making any friends there.

Doing burnouts at a place like that is stupid and a good sign of napoleon syndrome.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  9. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I really think that a shopping center works really well. brings business to a lot of different places and usually more parking.

Being real new still to the area I dont really know of any places. but I am thinking of something with some sort of historic significance. diner or old store or a place where cool old stores were etc. maybee a Bowling alley would be cool. some of them have good shitty food if you know what I mean. or what about an old aboandoned lot or building. or an old car dealer??????? Lots of ideas here

I vote for making it a better and bigger deal next time around. and I still think that a friday or saturday night before we do a Garage Crawl to a different guys garage each time. maybee just to check it out and have a beer or maybee to pitch in a hand and help get somebodys car a little further along??????

I am in for Helping out here guys let me know what you need!!!!!!

10. tony31a

tony31a

I fail to see how a line out the the door the whole time we're there can be hurting their buisness. I'm sure there are plenty of places that would be happy to have that kind of problem.

11. elrobbo

elrobbo
    from washington

Hah,Noname nice pic of my car in your driveway...
    Benny's rod and custom pizza at 4219 ne st.johns road vancouver wa,9 or 10 ish second sunday thru the winter.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

for anyone who seems to wonder how the event could "possibly be hurting their business", just because it takes you 30 minutes to get a doughnut does not mean it's any kind of crazy-busy there. there is always a 45 minute line, it's not like our event is bringing them a ton of business that they would otherwise not have.

this place is a novelty, it's a tourist trap, it is always busy. when we go there, we clog up the lot for hours at a time. for the time period that my big-ass chrysler is sitting in one parking spot, after i bought one doughnut and one coffee-four tourists in their hondas could have been in and out, buying four times the amount of product i did. and they would. i've seen dozens upon dozens of cars try to pull into the lot during this event, then bail because they couldn't even pull into the lot (literally)

i understand where they're coming from.

it's like if you went to a busy restaurant and sat around hogging up a table for two hours after your meal-they want to get your asses out so the next set can come sit at that table and order dinner.

i'm not at all affiliated with voodoo, and i don't care one way or another, but i can promise you that they are not just being dicks about it. it really has an affect on their business-which, at the end of the day for most people-cash is king. voodoo isn't in any way affiliated with the classic car scene, they don't necessarily want to be a part of it per se-their business is selling doughnuts to tourists. it just so happened that they had a big parking lot and we thought it would be a nice enough place for a little run. our little run got bigger quicker than we thought. we out-grew it, period.

so, we'll find a new place to hold our first sunday meet. no biggie.

thanks to voodoo for having us for as long as they did.

stay tuned for the new "first sunday" meet, if you'd still like to come, we'd love to have you.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  13. VonBurke

VonBurke

If I'm speaking out of turn, I apologize, This wasnt my gathering, I just supported it. I think I speak for my club when I say that we SUPPORT the Estranged CC in their endeavors and will continue to do so where ever that is.
    my post from FB.
    Today Jeff Wolf informed me that Joyce Johnson the hot rod lady, one of the sweetest and most amazing women ever to grace this earth went to Voodoo donuts to THANK them for allowing us to hang out on first Sunday with the Estranged CC. Upon arriving, the manager did not want to talk to her.
    For those that don't know the Estranged CC has been holding first Sunday at Voodoo. Yes we did take up their parking lot and yes it got big. Moreover, we advertised, supported, and spent loads of money at this local business. The management at Voodoo has disallowed us from continuing to hold first Sunday in their lot.
    FIRST. As a local business, it is their duty to support the local community as the local community supports your business. This is a symbiotic relationship we all live with.
    Second. One Sunday a month for 2-3 hours cannot hinder a business at a substantial level.
    Third. if you thought 100+ people forming a line that went out the door hindered your business, then how would you feel if now instead of supporting your business we now boycotted Voodoo for a few months?

I, like many people are very angry that management wouldn't disallowed us from their parking lot (where the Estranged CC did food drives and toy drives for the poor) because they "LOST" business.

If youre with me please join myself, my club, and OUR community in shifting our purchasing power to another establishment that can provide non-penis shaped fried dough.

thank you.

Nick

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    hey nick, thanks for the input. we really love the support the deviants have shown the event too, it's always a pleasure having you guys, your club has some seriously awesome cars.

yes, there's a lot you can say about the way they handled it, etc. and it's obvious they don't "get it"

all i ask is that we not start a personal war with voodoo doughnuts-the reason is simple, i see them often, and they know that i'm in the club that puts on this event, and they know that i also own the beauty bar. i simply cannot have a powerful enemy like that. as i've said before, their offices are right above my bar, their other location is two blocks away from it. i see them a lot, and they are a very influential business. the last thing i need is to give them any reason to bad mouth me/my business.

so that being said,i'm asking everyone to please be cool about the whole thing, and not make it into anything more than it has to be.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  15. 41plym

41plym

Do you really want to be where your not welcome? Voodoo has their reasons whatever they may be. So you should probably move on no hard feelings. Just my opinion.
    41plym

16. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Well Shooter, you are correct. There's no point in discussing the issue and someone saying the wrong thing could have a negative impact on your business and there's. That being said, it's time to move on and find a new place. Maybe just trying out some different places to see what fits is in order.

One thing you may consider is keeping the "Voodoo" name in the future posts. Whenever I search for this event I alway's use voodoo and would think others may as well.

An interim place could be a coffee place called "Coffee's On". The one at mall 205 in the Newport Bay parking lot. It's kind of a little mall deal but there would be plenty of parking.

17. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Looks like fun! Anybody know whos 40 Plymouth this is? Is he on the HAMB? I would love to see some more pics of this car, and maybe talk to the owner about his mods. Thanks! Mr. Bill
    [​IMG]

18. buckable

buckable

<br>
    That's Willie Steele. Lives out west of Portland. I think he's a HAMBER, but don't know his handle.
    Here's his Flickr page - some nice pics of the Plymouth and others locals, and you can send him a message there:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65606082@N00/

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    oh yeah, that guy's cool. i've only met im briefly. really cool car for sure. i think he is on the hamb.

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yep. we have a few places in mind to at least try out. will post it up as soon as we know.

21. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I am deffinately on board with Nick's sentiments. I really feel like I dont want to give my business to Voodoo now. just leaves me a bit sour I guess.

anytime we had company in town at least once a month and sometimes just for fun for the kids we would go to Voodoo. Owen my 11 year old likes to try to eat the Big Ass Doughnut in less than 2 min so he can get it free. still hasnt quite made it. Keep trying little dude.

I now feel like we can spend our time and money somewhere else.

Jake I dont envy the Position you are in right now and I will hold back my gut feelings here in respect to your business.

Heck you got Manicures and Martini's, I think its time for Manifolds and Martini's. or Bored and stroked bloody mary's. Breakfast at the Beauty Bar brought to you by ESTRANGED C C

22. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

By the way I really want to thank you guys for putting on this rad once a month gathering. It has been a great way for my Wife and I to get involved and meet a bunch of new people since moving to Portland just a short year ago. We really Feel like family and want you all to know that we are thankfull for your welcoming.

Sappy shit I know sorry!

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

thanks eric. yeah, it's kind of a weird spot.

i'm leaning away from agreeing to do it at beauty bar. lots of reasons really-i don't have a real kitchen (we prefer to focus on slangin booze...), so i wouldn't be able to do any real food without buying stuff-and if we just did doughnuts i would still have to order them in from somewhere. also, it's downtown and parking could potentially be an issue-usually it isn't on a sunday, but with saturday market going on when it's nicer, it could potentially cause a problem. and it would also be hard to staff. i have a fairly small staff that almost all work on friday and saturday nights. if they're there until 3-4am the night before, it's gonna be tough to get someone to come in a couple hours later on sunday morning. i would end up having to work, which i wouldn't want to do. plus just the stress of worrying about making sure everything's going smooth, etc while i'm trying to relax and talk about cars doesn't sound appealing. it's like mixing business and pleasure.

also, i wouldn't want it to seem like i'm trying to gain personally from a fun event. and to be honest, if i'm going to play the "come to my bar" card, i'd rather focus on trying to get people out after beaches on wednesday nights... (karaoke night, fools!)

anyway, we're still looking. couple places are in the works.

24. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cool, thanks man. yeah-it's been fun. we'll keep going!

25. redsean

redsean

Hey guys i know im a few miles away know but Steak Burger in Hazel dell is a great place to do these thing and the food is great. (who does not love put-put). they have easy freeway access and they are one of the original cruise spots. hell anything in vancouver is easier to deal with than portland. have fun

26. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

thanks!!!

27. couverkid

couverkid

Sounds like a good idea to me. Great place with great food.

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There's also the bowling alley on 92nd and Powell that's right next door to Burgerville, and Mc Donalds. Huge parking area and easy walk next door for pastries or burgers.

29. 73 carlow

73 carlow
    from Colorado

The Flying Pie Pizzeria in Milwaukie has a lot of parking and several small businesses accross the street as well as a bowling alley behind it.. may be a possibility?

Located on Mcloughlin/99 where 224 deadends.

30. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks to everyone for thier Support and suggestions...Like Shooter mentioned above, we have some locations on the "board" and will take your suggestions into consideration as well...

No matter what...ESTRANGED looks forward to seeing everyone again in the New Year, at the New Spot (??)...and looks forward to meeting New friends!

Cheers!!
    MONDO