Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching 4 clues, '33 Ford coupe, USMC, El Toro, CA, Chicago...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Randy P, Dec 9, 2010.

1. froghawk

froghawk

Great car, great story!

2. Those aren't goosebumps Larry. Them are manboobs! It is a very cool car for sure(just joshin' ya Larry) Is this car gonna get a dropped axle? It is perfect otherwise. Love the real patina. Don't get much better than that!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. BELLM

BELLM

Your Dad sent me an e-mail with a link to this. The e-mail had a couple of pictures of your '32 sitting in the shop next to the '33 sitting next to the '34. My first thought was now you need a '35 to go next to the '34!
    This is a really cool story. Never ceases to amaze me what you come up with!! Thanks for sharing this story.

4. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

That'd be great if you can talk to him and let me know if he knew Cpl Boudnek. Thanks!

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great car-awesome story.
    Regarding the Newport Beach and Balboa Island stickers; Balboa is a small island near Newport connected by a short bridge. Back in the day Balboa was a popular Spring Break destination for the young crowd (might still be?). I recall an early Rod magazine having coverage of Hot Rods invading the Balboa area during Spring Break. The car may have even been there.

6. While you are mostly correct, that decal is for Balboa, which is the Peninsula part of Newport Beach, home to the World Famous Wedge surfing area and long time home to Dick Dale, King of the Surf Guitar. I lived on Balboa Island (which is a part of Newport Beach, not a separate city) for about 15 years and the peninsula for a couple.

7. bcr466

bcr466

Dont change a thing on it. Cars like that are almost unbelievable. And just think it now resides in a state where a young couple from Dallas made the 32-34 Ford V8 famous!

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Your Newport decal has "Beach" missing on the right side, As for the gas station, I doubt that it still exists, there has been a lot of re-development done in that area over the years. It was located a little way west of Joe Reath's shop.

9. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

That is one wonderfull automobile.
    I'm in love.

P

10. shocker998md

shocker998md

**Late model**

Well I thought I would give it a shot, Im a Marine that is on duty right now and I have had nothing better to do. I tried searching the name Boudnek on a website called Marine Online, where there is a tab to search for people that are currently serving. I was hoping to get lucky and find a few people with that name and start emailing, but there isnt a single person serving in the Marine Corps right now with that name. Lots of times peoples parents or grandparents influenced them to join the Marines, so it was worth a shot.

11. Awesome car and with a great history.

Keep diggin' and keep posting what you find.

12. couverkid

couverkid

What a great car. Neat to see them like this one.

13. Randy, Great history on your 33, all three of your cars are awesome history lessons,fine patina, I have been lucky to see all three in your Dad's garage, had time to look them over , Wow!! Wish you and your Dad the best,,,,Sam

14. 40fordconv

40fordconv

Any more history or information on this fine car??

15. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

16. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Sorry, my friend didn't recall that car. He did say that many were around during that time frame that were similar. No way to pick one out of so many.

17. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

WOW! very cool story and even cooler rod. Thanks for sharing, its great to see a car like this, ripped right out of 1953. AWESOME.

18. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Well thanks for asking him for me. Did you happen to ask him about the owner, Cpl Richard Boudnek who was in SOS-1?

Anyway, thanks for checking and thanks for your service in the USMC.

19. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I forwarded the link to him with that question, but believe he may be travelling for the holidays..He retired in Hawaii.

20. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Wow, I'm hooked! And jealous!

21. 296ardun

296ardun

Great story, I agree that this is what this site should be about...

Yes, same Santa Ana. First went to the drags there summer 57...the property where the track was is now a part of the John Wayne airport...Santa Ana drag strip was also a former military airfield, early picture still show circles at the starting line which were targets for bomb dropping practice.....I would guess that your 34 might have been there during the dragging times (track closed in 59).

22. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for all the comments. I'm still looking for clues on the previous owner, but nothing new.

23. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

this story with pics has to be published in a mag its worth it for everyone to read about..
    AWSOME

24. fordsoup

fordsoup
    from Altadena

I read the entire thread and then looked at that last profile picture and just about fell over. Goose bumps also... 33-34 fords are my favorite year.

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great story and great car!!

26. According to Google earth, this is the corner of 10th St and Olive Ave in Long Beach today. No gas station in sight.

[​IMG]

27. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Man, what a great story. Such an enjoyable read to start my Sunday morning and what a fantastic car. I might have missed it but was there any information gathered from the person you bought the car from or how he acquired it?

28. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Thanks. No, not much info from the person I bought it from. He told me that the previous owner's father had bought it new and given it to the son, but I don't have any evidence of that. I'm still searching, though!

29. Angela1972

Angela1972
    from chicago

Hi,
    The owner you're looking for is my grandfather. I have tears on my eyes as I type this. I know that the car you now own once belonged to him. He was in the US Army and not the marines (I'm guessing he bought it off of a marine who was leaving for war and didn't need the car anymore). My Grandpa was in California training for a specialty division of the army called the Bushmasters. The closest division of the army I can find today that's similar to the Bushmasters is the US Army Green Berets. He left California (I think he departed from San Francisco) on his way to Guam. He fought all over the South Pacific - Guam, Okinawa, Philippines, Fiji, New Guinea. I wish he were alive today so he could see the car he once owned looking and staying exactly how he built it/fixed it. He was a auto mechanic in Chicago before he was drafted at the age of 18 (he loved being a mechanic) and he loved piecing together cars using parts from other cars or parts from junkyards to fix his cars. When he passed away he left behind a 1951 Mercury in mint condition with 15,000 miles on it. The original sales receipt, registration, car manual - all of it is still in the glove box too. If you'd like to ask questions or want to know more about him you can contact me through this HAMB forum.
    Thank you for sharing your story and for wanting to know more about him. He was a larger than life kind of guy. I miss him everyday. I'll post a picture of him for you.
    Best,
    A

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. I am in total, no words of the power of the HAMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!