Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. BobKoorsen

BobKoorsen

It was Bobby Blount's car...Dick Trickle was in Bontreger's...photos here:
    http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s229/BobKoorsen/Baer Field 1990 Super Late Models/

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found these shots from I believe Richmond while uploading negatives.....Rich

3. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Heres a few more....Rich

4. RABs32: Those are just awesome photo's of a bygone era! Thanks for posting those. What a difference compared with today.

Not to mention the drivers drove into the pits at full speed and stopped hard! Man, that must of been hair raising...

Joel

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Joel, I've got more negatives to upload,spent most of the holidays last year uploading sprint car shots and posted them on the sprint car thread, and this year I'm trying to upload the stock car and drag racing negatives. I've got 4 milk crate size boxes loaded with drag,dirt and asphalt modifieds,Indy cars, stock cars,trans am,plus family and car show and things I've painted negatives to upload yet,and as soon as I can I'll post some more.....Rich

6. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

SIIIIICCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!! that thing rocks

Louie

7. k9racer

k9racer

Love those figure 8 shots.. notice the big Mercucy bumper is still useable but the poor ford has had it..I always thought what happened because every junk yard from nashville tennessee north that had a Merc the front bumper was gone. after a trip to Beachbend I knew why. Other busisness kept me from attending the snowball event..

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Here is my contribution to the thread.
    [​IMG]
    Wimble Car??

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

It WAS hair raising, particularly if you happened to be the guy holding the blackboard to show the driver where to stop. Been there, done that, Daytona in 1966. I told Harry Hyde after the race that whoever adjusted the brakes should be in charge of holding that board.

10. Steve 38

Steve 38

Classic!

11. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's a car I need some help with. Been looking for the driver info and have posted this on several websites, with no luck so far. Photo was taken in 1966 or 1967 at Dayton Speedway. Writing on the car says it is from Bluffton, Ohio. This car also ran on dirt at Eldora, and I feel it is primarily a dirt car. Anyone know who this is ? Thanks.

The Oldtimer

[​IMG]

12. 4everblue

4everblue

I wonder if the difference in car appearance had more to do with local track rules or tastes than Nascars rules. I'd place this photo at 64' or 65'. The V-8 car right behind the 11 ( Bill Slater the driver ) placed in the top five of Nascar national sportsman points for a number of years. There were still a number of Nascar tracks operating in the N.E. during this time period, Flemington, which was dirt back then was Nascar. The 39 car just visible above the 11 was a regular at Flemington. Fenders, if I remember stayed around until 66, maybe a little later.

13. allstarracing

allstarracing

No I didn't .sorry try again Allstarracing

14. tallzag

tallzag

[​IMG]

Allstarracing,

I own the 1972-73 season K&K Insurance Charger and been trying to find out more information about it. I think Ken Reiter may have driven my car and was hoping you could be of help. Will send you another PM.

Got a hold of Ken Reiter the other day and he sent me this great picture. That is an old K&K car that he drove in 1970-71 I believe but is not my car.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  15. allstarracing

allstarracing

I think this car is a reskinned Ray Nichols car. K& K had I think three of these type cars. Indybigjohn helped with them so he may have some information on where they went. I know one was a short track and one was a speedway car. I think there was an intermediate car but not for sure. When they quit Buddy ward got one. The last time I raced against Kenny was at Beechbend Park In Bowling Green Ky. Kenny Had the speedway car on that narrow track and backed it into the wall between the first and second turn. We all wondered why he would bring a speedway car to the short track. It still had K & K Ins. on it. I think it had a 73 body on it. I remenber being impressed at how swoopy it looked. Could have been just how clean it was. It didn"t have any bumper push bars Etc. Then we learned the cars were being sold and K & K was getting out. From what I can remember the speedway car had the curved bars behind the driver and was a gorgeous piece of work. I don't have any pictures of the foster car. If it is the 64 Plymouth is it the car he was killed in or is it the 56 plymouth? Someone said it was still being run as a figure eight car.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  16. RICKLou

RICKLou

This is great stuff Rich, The spring/winter race at Richmond in 1975. Benny had just won the Daytona 500 but did not have the KINGS-ROW sponsor on his Chevrolet.

Keep them coming !

RL

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Allstar, you're right, that car was from the championship year. A car owner in Louisville bought it from K&K, and I'm almost positive it was a short track car. It won the season opener the first time out. There's a lot more I recall about it. Like the time at Salem when Jesse Baird blew the engine coming out of turn four in the middle of a race. I threw the yellow, but nobody saw it because of the smoke. I couldn't even see the race track, but I could hear the cars going by underneath the flagstand. When it all cleared, we were lucky. Only one other car had spun in the oil.

And there was another time at Salem when Jim Robinson was driving it. The night before at Louisville, they broke a left upper ball joint and were put out of the feature.
    At Salem the next day, while leading an ARCA race, they broke the right upper ball joint and ended up in the fence. I asked them if they had bothered to check the right one after replacing the left, since they were getting ready to run on a high-bank. They said they didn't.

18. lawman

lawman

Great story John.I love to hear stories from "Back in the day" about Salem and Louisville Fairgrounds.A lot of things happened that the average fan did not know. Hank

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found a few more photos from A USAC show at Pocono while uploading a bunch of negatives.....Rich

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Appreciate your comments, Lawman. Lots of stuff happens behind the scenes, and I've tried to relate some of it in my Driven to the Past columns on Frontstretch.com during the season.

Like the day a very good friend (who is to this day still a very good friend) and I nearly came to blows after a race at Salem. His car was trashed when we left it sitting off track on the backstretch, and another car spun into it later. He told me his was going to kick my backside, "not now, but sooner or later." I told him if he felt that way, let's get it on right here and now, but first I wanted him to check with ARCA officials in the tower. His car had been out of my view and behind the tower, and they gave me the "safe" sign when I got ready to go yellow. He checked, and to my amazement, they admitted it was their mistake. I had only been flagging a few years at that time. It was at that minute that I decided, and I told him and everybody else listening, that from then on I would follow my own conscience in situations like that. I stuck with it, and never regretted it.

As a postcript, one night at Bristol I talked to a guy who said he learned to flag from watching me. He was flagging a NASCAR series, and said, "You wouldn't like this. They want a robot. You don't throw a flag until they tell you so." I'm thankful I was working in the right era.

21. Warbird7

Warbird7

Rich, great USAC pics from Pocono 1971. Are there any more shots from that race? My car ran it as #77 Superbird . Thanks

22. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Warbird,These are all I've come across so far.......Rich

23. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I just found some Nascar shots from Trenton.....Rich

24. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Got another batch.....

25. RICKLou

RICKLou

More great looks at the past ! Thank's for laying it out Rich.

26. lawman

lawman

Great story John. Hank

27. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

Love those shots RAB!

28. MotoArts

MotoArts

This site has quite a few local (Pittsburgh/Southwestern PA area) vintage dirt track shots circulating around during this offseason, if anyone's interested.
    There are a few guys that are still in-the-know posting some great vintage shots. Check out both the Old Sprint and Late Model threads:

http://racestud.com/forums/index.php?showforum=22

I work a pushtruck at Lernerville Speedway.

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Just five minutes ago I got a note on Facebook that Ray Baker, Baker Engineered Racing Engines, fell off his roof today and died from his injuries. I just chatted with him on Facebook last week. He had been building custom car engines lately. RIP, old friend.

30. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

john,he was a memeber here on the hamb.didn't post much. guys this guy was the real deal.built motors for some of the best. rip