Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camaro/S10 rear end swap help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Samaro, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Samaro

Samaro
    from WI

Let me start this thread by saying that I am a stark, raving loony.

You see, my 1995 Saturn SL1 (station wagon) recently suffered a cracked head. The engine is shot. I hated that car. I also loved that car.

Over spring break, me and several buddies are going to be swapping a 350 into the car. I have the 350, a turbo 400 transmission, and a 3.42 posi rear end out of a 1998 Camaro.

Obviously I'm gonna need to put a lot of work into this project. As I stated, I am crazy. So are my friends. We also know just enough to make us dangerous.

Anyway, the problem is this: the rear end from the Camaro is too wide to fit the Saturn body. Now I see two ways of approaching this that would definitely work:

A) widen the Saturn's body. This would, however, be a pain in the patoot.

B) Shorten the rear end by like eight inches. This would also be a pain in the patoot. Actually, this whole project is going to be a pain in the patoot.

In addition, there was a third possible solution, but I'm not sure if I could pull it off or not.

C) buy a rear end off a 2WD Chevy s10 and stuff the goodies from the Camaro unit inside.

However, I'm not sure that this would work with the camaro unit. I seem to recall that this is possible from somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly what my source is, and whether or not it was discussing the same type of rear end that I have currently.

So, guys, whaddaya say? Any suggestions?

2. damn this is going to be funny........

3. hemi

hemi

Look out!

[​IMG]

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Dude, Saturn wagons are the bomb!

Fender flares are your friend. Get some and be the coolest dude in Wussconnson.....

5. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

fixed it

I'm totally kidding.... but this doesn't really seem like the best website to be posting questions like this on...

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

[​IMG]

quick before it gets deleted! If you had the ability, you wouldn't ask. you'd just do.

[​IMG]

7. Spity

Spity

If this was a 70 year old car, being built 60 years ago everyone would say he was fucking nuts. All of us would be looking back and saying he was way ahead of his time. Fortunately in 70 years a saturn wagon will still be gay.

8. I'm going to make popcorn!

I'll be right back..................

9. 8flat

8flat

I think you should definitely go with option A, widen the body.

Please post progress pics so I have something to laugh at and forward to my buddies.

10. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Yeah. This really is the wrong forum.

BTW. If you ever get it running as you describe, good luck with your smog check.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Must be cold there you have a bad case of brain freeze.

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Pull this off and you are my hero for life.

13. eberhama

eberhama

Simply get another saturn wagon, cut them both down the middle 4" off center, and weld the wider halves of both cars together, and BAM! the camaro rear will fit like a glove. It will also do wonders for header clearance. Just make sure you end up with a left and a right wider halves, we wouldn't want to kill 2 saturn wagons for nothing.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

By weld you mean superglue, right?

15. Why not just run the rearend that is in the Saturn ... might get some fun out of her before she breaks then look for a new axle.

16. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Um, front wheel drive.

17. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

18. (....shhhhhh.....Yeah, but do THEY know that?????;).....)

19. lawman

lawman

Welcome to the HAMB. Tom (Tired Old Man)

20. Ok ... seriously now. Why not install the SBC and trans in the back of the wagon backwards. Then run a driveshaft from the TH400 that then attaches to the original Saturn trans ... you could end up with like a 6, 7, or 8 speed trans this way. Don't say it can't be done until you've tried it:).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i would say "A" is the easiest/cheapest option---then put flares over the fenders. You don't need to widen the body.

2) However, "B" is not nessesarily a "pain" if you can find a decent shop.

3) i don't think 98 maro and s-10 rears are compatible(?) Funky, Austrailian 9 inch vs. 7.5 inch? (not sure on this). However, some s-10's came with the 8.5 10 bolt; You might want to consider that. Might not be easy to find though.

But where/how will you mount the rear axle? To the stock, pre-existing mounts?

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The entertainment factors gone. Somebody please make this go away.

23. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

^^^ please don't I just got my popcorn all buttered ^^^

24. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

patoot.
    patoot.
    patoot.

patoot.

25. 8flat

8flat

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........that is hilarious......

26. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Interesting how a couple of people actually chimmed in to answer the question (no matter the relevance) While so many jumped in to put out that it wasn't relevant or to trash talk.....
    I's say since it was a first post by a newly registered user that it's somone trolling, but continue the bashing by all means...

27. 8flat

8flat

You should have seen how harsh this place was 7 years ago...I lurked forever before getting up the nerve to register and make a post. HAMBers were brutal back then. Nowadays everyone's all soft...haha

28. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Most late S10 rears are 7 5/8 rears, as are all 4th gen Camaro rears (not Australian...that was late 80s Firebirds only, completely different rear), so yes, the guts from one would fit in the other (except the axles, which I doubt are the same length). Question is, why does the OP think an S10 rear is going to fit any better than a Camaro rear? Both are way too wide. Why not just put the V8 into something worthwhile, and let the "Uranus" go to the scrapyard? Different is one thing, but...

29. fitzee

fitzee

Ok I have my butter popcorn. Time to watch the show!!