Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds Most Beautiful Mercury? Redux...Title Edit. Reference to an Older Tread....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Dec 8, 2010.

1. For those of you who think I made the statement as a Word from God....you're mistaken.The Post Title was in reference to other threads on the HAMB that are found in the Search Feature. Redux means "brought back - used postpositively" Its a good thing. It means to reconsider.
    ...This is a subject of countless threads and ideas here on the HAMB and rightfully so. Mercurys were made to be customized. We have a huge library of examples that we all love. Some more historic, some more traditional, but all Beautiful cars. I'm so thankful that DJ joined the ranks of Custom Icons with his Stunning '57 Chevy, but along with his contributions, he gave us new photos of what I think is the best Mercury Custom ever. Nowhere near as well known as the Hirohata Merc or others, this car, for me, captures everything a Custom '49-'51 strived to be. It is known to me only as Baileys' Mercury since the day I saw it on the cover of a long forgotten Little Book. This is the one that does it for me. Thank you DJ, not only for your '57, but for pics of all the cars that have remained my favorites over the years. Here is my vote for the Worlds Most Beautiful Custom Mercury......Centurion9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car, but all I see are pokey sharp lines that take away from the otherwise sweet flow of the car. The chop however, is pretty damn close to perfect.

But, I am rather narrow minded..

-Abone.

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Beautiful car I agree... "most" beautiful. Those are hard shoes to fill... I think its the skirts. they are distracting to me... otherwise perfect.

4. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Not this again

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I like this one better...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek::eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D:D:D

I find it to much classier and smooth...

6. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

worlds most beautiful ? not sure about that

nice car but its not in my top 100 let alone most beautiful.

but im an idiot so who knows.

7. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

VERY nice.

8. I guess I'm compelled to mention this even though a lot of younger guys just won't get it. No insult intended. Much of this is about being in a place at a point in time. If you were 17 years old ( in 1964 )and heard " The Beatles" for the very first time, you would have been stunned. It was music that had never been heard before. To me, the resurgence of primered, sloppily, radically chopped cars that have all been bagged to the rockers all look pretty much the same. It's NOT a slam...they just don't appeal to me because many of them look exactly the same. (I want to be different like everybody else). :)
    The thing about cars or anything else, is that when you try to interpret the "Custom Car" that was popular in 1958, in the year 2010...what you often end up with is a caricature or a cartoon rather than the real thing. If you are fortunate enough to own a pile of little books, look to see how many primered, mailbox slotted, spiderwebbed, cars that sit on the rockers.....I doubt you will find many.
    No foul intended, but what builders today see as traditional Customs and what they actually looked like are two different animals.
    Personally, I LOVE the fact that so many of these cars are being built and recovered. No matter how you build it, unless to chop the top so severely that it just looks stupid, each one of these cars has been given new life. The next owner may show a little bit more discretion and prolong the existence of the car. The next time, maybe we'll see some more considered thought and restraint, rather than the Whackers and Bagger(z) that think "more is better".
    I love the fact that cars are being built...it is true that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and that though I love a chopped car, I'll bet good money that 15 years from now, somebody is going to make a boatload of money "unchopping cars" and making paint shiney. :) Maybe you would have had to be there.....Centurion9

9. Why not? It's a Forum that values free expression and opinions....Just because I express my opinion doesn't mean that I speak with ALL authority. As I said, there have been other threads. It's America Dude....Maybe you have a favorite Merc. Would I be less a clown by telling you that you were wrong? ......Centurion9

10. Well said. Sir.

11. That's my point. Because you don't rate it high, should I consider you an idiot? Sorry, I don't. I happen to love this car. Not only that, but only in my dreams could I ever hope to own such a car. There's not a guy on this Forum that speaks for all of us. You like the car, you don't like the car. What does it matter? Today, that car doesn't exist in that form. Some OWNER has determined that it sits under a tarp in his driveway and rots. Some of you revere (worship) the work of the Alexander Brothers from Detroit. Funny, there is a chance :)) ) they had a little something to do with this build. It's funny how time affects perception.....Having said all that. God knows how I would love to own that Merc....When you guys look in your garage or your driveway, what do you see....?

12. Very nice car, thanks for sharing. I'm not into scallops but still love seeing a well done Mercury.

13. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

I really like the car.

14. teddyp

teddyp

this is the merc that i always like but it could cause it my buddy,s

Attached Files:

15. padorey

padorey

Why do most Mercs. have 57 Caddy hub caps. 53 Buick side trim,
    and Desoto grills.? Most Mercs have at leas one of these or more.

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

"Most beautiful" is a ridiculous debate due to its subjectivity. I prefer blondes to brunettes, but neither is right or wrong. I love the scallop layout on that Merc, has a really awesome later 50's/early 60s vibe to it. Just really unique. It kind of reminds me of the era that I was going for when planning my 57.

Flamedabone's Merc is a killer as well, but comparing the two is like apples and oranges. They have really different personalities. Maybe that's a reflection on the personalities of the builders. Both are beautiful, but one is more subtle and subdued, the other is more bold and gregarious. Just a hypothesis. Awesome cars either way

17. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Why not ad this to the other Most Beautiful Mercury thread? I'm not knocking your right to express how you feel about the car, heck I even like the car kinda. It's just goes back to the days when we 10 yrs old and your best friend got a new toy. Followed by those words "mine is better than yours". Cars are totally subject to opinion. Whats kool to you may be garbage to another.

18. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Just to make you feel better

[​IMG]

19. "of what I think is the best Mercury Custom ever. Nowhere near as well known as the Hirohata Merc or others, this car, for me, captures everything a Custom '49-'51 strived to be. It is known to me only as Baileys' Mercury since the day I saw it on the cover of a long forgotten Little Book. This is the one that does it for me."

Sometimes I wonder....If you actually read the thread, you would see that I was very specific about the Bailey Merc being the one that doe's it for ME.. Please, try to read the thread before you post. What began as a simple thank-you and an expression of my opinion became an afront to the rest of you that half-read the post. My post was clear in support of everyone else's right to love whatever car they liked....Is English your first language? I've reread the post several times...it still says the same thing to me. Read in shorthand-Think in shorthand....Primer your car and bag it. Instant Classic Custom Mercury...........Game over, Congratulations! Centurion9

20. Centurion9, I actually really like that Merc. It is refreshing to see one without the DeSoto grill, Caddy caps and Buick trim. I think it looks great. I would be more than happy to own it.

FlamedAbone's is a knockout! In a different catagory but equally magnificent. 2 different styles but both cool.

BloodyKnuckles

21. moefuzz

moefuzz

I thought this was the worlds most beautiful Merc ...

[​IMG]

beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this beholder likes survivors.

jmho

22. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Thanks Centurion9. I like looking at chopped Mercs - any time! Some I like better than others, but your point is well taken and I appreciate your voicing it here on the H.A.M.B.

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I am with Z man on the black one, looks liquid, nice.

24. I follow you Centrion9. Thanks for posting pics of the car, I really like it too...the whole package. When pics of it were posted in another thread I decided I needed to change the shape of my bubble skirts to be cool like those Jimmy Jones skirts. I know bubbles aren't everyone's favorites on Mercs, but I since I like lots of different things on Mercs and only am going to get one, I'm just messing with mine over the course of time and right now I'm going with bubbles. LOL