Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Voodoo Larry and the true story of "The Voodoo Idol" !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MODELA30

MODELA30

Yes its me the guy that makes a lot of friends on here from time to time. I just checked out comments from some of you guys not all of you were on that toshi japan car culture thread and some of you guys that were on there you know who you are had white stuff on your chins that was toshi's white stuff. You know who you are!!!! There was one or two actuall hotrods on that thread the rest were lowriders which some of them were bought here in the states!!! I may add!!! And all the wows and auuhhs. The man the japanese know how to build a car!! What!!! So now a custom car from one of our own American builders which happens to be a good guy and all the comment about not being a HAMB friendly car, what crap. You should be ashamed of yourselves one day after Pearl Harbor day. Just unreal and you call yourself Americans!!!! No wonder America has problems. Good job fellow American and keep up the good work. Proud to be a American and I dont care who I offend!!! Knuck from Indiana.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. Skirv

Skirv

49Ratfink, it's the El Matador

3. El Matador

4. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

i completely agree!

if its not your style or taste..or you wouldnt pay 1 dollar for it, fine. But to say the car sucks is a complete lack of respect for the time and effort put into making something for himself how HE wanted.

5. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Lots of poster seems to think he is a very talented builder. What else did he build? Beside the Model A?

6. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

I think it looks awesome! And how exactly is this not a traditional build, because it wasn't build in the 50's or 60's? Right.

7. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

jesus what the fuck are you talking about?

8. MODELA30

MODELA30

not all of you were on that toshi japan car culture thread and some of you guys that were on there you know who you are had white stuff on your chins

9. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

It has grown on me...I like the work involved and the fact he has the balls to do it.
    I like it.

10. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

oh thanks that answered it. :eek:

11. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

its pretty easy to do a google search.

12. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

i like it, and it looked great in person at the LB motorama, and i met larry there and he was one of the nicest guys ive ever met

13. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Its a over the top custom that people dont like. Well for me I like it he was thinking out of the box. Its not just your cookie cutter chop top car he went past that and pushed the envelope. Just like the builders of the past that most on this site looks up too now. Who knows 50 years from now our kids or grandkids my look up to him for building cars the way he does.

14. inlinr6

inlinr6

I met Larry at the world of wheels in chicago,he has really tuned his craft on building customs,and the Idol is pretty amazing,. My buddy wanted Chip Fooses autograph so bad,I said I'll be over here,hearing some hank 3 played real loud,their club had there own area.nice guy real humble.

15. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Regardless of the style, I appreciate the workmanship. But, what do I know--I don't think the chick is that ugly.

16. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Hey I'd hit the girl too.......in the back seat and double bagged!!!!

Even If you don't like it you still got to admire the mans craftsmanship. He also seemed real cool with the people asking questions. Did not appear to be a hard ass.

17. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I like the car but I agree it's not for the meek.
    To say the car doesn't flow well then remark that the El Matador does is rediculous.

18. sodaturk

sodaturk
    from san diego

I put this Barris Kustom up there with Voodoo Larry's car. Could be cool, great work (that I can't do), great ideas, but just misses the mark in some peoples eyes.

P7230016-vi.jpg

P7230017-vi.jpg

19. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I think that thing has some amazing craftsmanship. I know the proportions are extreme and some may not like it but I think it is pretty cool.

20. trukin55

trukin55

You know. We are all here doing our best to do the best we can. I dont have near the talent that this guy has, Wish I did.. Like it or hate it is ok, We all have our opinions. But I just think that we should all at least respect it for what it is and what he has created. I have never me the guy, but I know people who are very good friends of his. He treats people with respect, regardless of their talent. I think he has earned some respect given back to him.
    Just saying..

21. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I think he's saying we're un-American if we didn't care for the Voodoo Idol in part or in whole, yet (if I may) pleasured Toshi oraly and received his load upon our chins when those cars from Japan were posted we fell all over ourselves. Especially since it's the day after Pearl Harbor's anniversary.

I went back and read that thread and I saw nothing more than we comment on here over American built cars. I don't particularly care for the Idol over all, but there are a few good things done to it that I do like. If you think I'm un-American, then come down to KS and tell that to my Veteran's face. Ya' damn right, I served and I don't like the Idol. :mad:

22. MODELA30

MODELA30

low-n-slo54 ]I think he's saying we're un-American if we didn't care for the Voodoo Idol in part or in whole, yet (if I may) pleasured Toshi oraly and received his load upon our chins when those cars from Japan were posted we fell all over ourselves. Especially since it's the day after Pearl Harbor's anniversary.

I went back and read that thread and I saw nothing more than we comment on here over American built cars. I don't particularly care for the Idol over all, but there are a few good things done to it that I do like. If you think I'm un-American, then come down to KS and tell that to my Veteran's face. Ya' damn right, I served and I don't like the Idol. :mad:[/QUOTE

You Sir did not get it at all. That thread had 2 hotrods the rest were lowriders and a few customs and all those guys just raved over it. Now those same guys are on here saying well its not a traditional car well I dont think its HAMB friendly I wish i was in japan to ride with those guys. WHAT!!!!! It is all there read them yes white chin action. So now a American guy with a car he built and those same guys are bashing him. What I am saying is that it is so HYPOCRITICAL its just seems like UNAMERICAN to do. Salute the japanese and bash the American. Now that sir burns me. And thanks you sir for serving. Knuck from Indiana.

23. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

What the hell is this comment about? Do you know the guy? Was he rude to you? It sounds to me you might be the douche.

24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I saw the Idol and wasn't too impressed.. at first. By the time the show was over it was my favorite car there. It really has to be seen in person to appreciate it. I've never had a car grow on me like that. Usually first impressions are lasting.
    Also met Voodoo Larry. Funny... Same reaction as with the car. A VERY nice guy.

25. hot rust

hot rust

to me and this is only a thought, if your a talented builder as larry seems to be, judging from other aspects of the car, why would a person take a frame section that in the beginning is way to wide to fit the car and then modify the car to fit it? seems to me as tho maybe there was no thought on getting the right parts to do the job with. if this is true that there is $250,00.00 in the build said car could have been done with alot less time and money and with better results had there been more engineering at the beginning of the build. i've never seen one of his cars in person although i have in magazine articles i tend to agree with a lot of the people here that it's porportions just dont do it for me. most customs built enhance whats there instead of trying to create something just because you can......

26. SixFive

SixFive

I don't see anyone really bashing him personally. I see lots of people saying what a nice guy he is. That is probably true, but doesn't mean we all have to like the car.

For a lot of people it just doesn't sit right with them for whatever reason.
    Fo me it is the fenders. Just too big in my eyes, takes too much away from the rest of the car- the headlights look like they are 80 feet apart. And i don't care what wars you bring up for no apparent reason, that is my opinion of the car and no amount of non-sensical ranting will change that.

And can someone maybe explain why the back window is half way up the roof?
    Without mentioning the quality of the build. It is obviously a well finished car, just some elements of it look like a compromise, rather than a deliberate exercise.

27. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thats too funny. I know Frank and even he knew his stuff was over the top. Although then it was about the indoor show circut, the more mods to the car the more points scored. I don't have the heart to knock Larry's ride. He has more talent that I'll ever have. It's not really my style but hell I was digging that Green Zephyr from Santa Maria and HAMB crew bashed it to shit as well.

I guess in the end everyone has an opinion and no one has to agree. Larrys car was an expression of a vision he had in his head. Like it or not it's his and built for him alone. But I'd be willing to bet it's keep business coming through the door though.

28. To bad the king VooBOO Larry is a egotistical self centered size 10 doesn't give a shit about anyone but him. The so called king of the Voodoo Kings didn't even have the respect for one of his first members to show up at a Charity event where the member was dieing of Lung Cancer . Not Him in person or even his life size picture cut out that has been at many shows. Yes he has a life size cut out of him self !! . This is one no class POS I have ever known in my life time I have known him for 25 plus years and as time goes by he only gets worse with how bad he treats people and customers and cares only about Larry . He is one bad apple for the hobby of Hot Rodding ..

29. Awesome, well thought out observation. I disagree, I think it is so different that it literally stuns you at first but gets better the longer you look at it. It also reminds me of a bullet nosed Studebaker or dare I say, Tucker. I think too many folks try to see the Ford coupe in it and don't like the changes. Don't forget the interior is great in this car. Plus, the flame show this thing makes is incredible. In my opinion, it's the first revolutionary car with traditional ties in a long time. I dig it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.