Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speaker grill ideas....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredimage, Dec 8, 2010.

1. alteredimage

alteredimage

I want to put some speakers in the rear package tray of my 64 Cad. but don't want the modern look. I would hide them under the package tray but there are no perferations on one side for the speaker. Was thinking posibly a bunch of polished stainless tubes cut on angles of difrent heights kinda on top of the speaker possibly Also seen those chrome musical note covers.... Throw me some ideas please.

2. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

3. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

4. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

^^ True!

Well I'll break it down for you as best as I can.

Believe it or not, I used heavy duty window mesh to cover a piece of wood I cut to the same shape as the package tray. You can find the window mesh at Home Depot but make sure to get the heavy duty kind, it's very similar to what a speaker grill looks like. Double up on the layer to make sure nothing shows through. This isn't going to mute your sounds and looks pretty stock.

Here's a few pics just to give you an idea.

Attached Files:

• Mat1.jpg
      Mat1.jpg
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:

5. dt50chev

dt50chev

Looks good back there.

6. lawman

lawman

Heres one. 57 Chevy. Tom (Tired Old Man)

Attached Files:

7. NWRacing

NWRacing

The coolest one Ive seen, I wish I had a picture of it, was drive in speakers polished and cut in half mounted to the package tray

8. get the JC whitney pipe organ speakers.. go period correct lol.. or period cheesy
    [​IMG]

9. Fuck yeah, lowrider fabulous!!!

10. I think you were correct with the period CHEESY! Make your car look like a cathedral on wheels.:eek:

11. alteredimage

alteredimage

Thats what I was thinking just polished stainless. Doesn't hurt to make them and see how they look...

13. HCAT54

HCAT54
    from Pomona, CA

I sell these... They are powder coated black and can be painted to match your interior.

Attached Files:

14. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

thats too much HAHA

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am in the same boat. I have a set of Alpine speakers with the crazy modern open grill. I need to find something that is just nice and plain.

16. You could take some stainless sheet and make something that resembles this.

Its a genuine old school piece I found in a box of parts here at the house. Sorry I only got one.

Attached Files:

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mine has to be lightweight due to the fact that it is in the side panels on the wagon.

I am going to have to build a recess to get it to lay flat.

19. I guess you could make them like mine out of aluminium but made from stainless I'm going to guess it wouldn't way more than an ounce. You could make a plywood spacer for it or back mount the speaker?

There is plenty of .030 stainless in the garage when you comming up next?

20. nightprowlers sell the pipe organ covers in case you didnt know im thinkin about them for my 57

allthough the lovered ones that were posted are cool not period but cool

21. Spity

Spity

Stock rear speaker cover for a 62-67 Chevy II. Actually a fairly rare option.

[​IMG]

22. You might be able to cover the tray with some type of guitar amp
    grille cloth. Or use some type of home vent item from Home Depot.

23. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

How about the old mid 60's V.W. horn grills. They are small, but would look cool mounted above your 6X9 speakers. They are chrome also.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am hoping for a turn key deal if possible. I would like to just find a set of plain 6x9 covers that I can paint to match the interior. I have searched Crutchfield etc. but I am going to talk to a local stereo shop.

25. Roscoe7

Roscoe7

I just used repo 57 Chevy rear speaker grills. $19 each. They look similar to the one Spity put up.

Speakers are modern 6" x 9" with all the fancy pants tweerty stuff sticking up in the middle. They are 'under-slung' on customwood rings (don't know what it is called in The Stares, reconstituted timber stuff, basically sawdust and glue).

The grill screws hold the customwood rings, and the speakers are screwed up from the bottom. Sound is awesome, but that's really just down to spending a little more on the speakers.

I like how it has turned out, but it might not be what you are after.
    DSC00820.jpg DSC00821.jpg DSC00825.jpg DSC01046.jpg

26. Seepwater

Seepwater

get some chrome license plate surrounds (they can be plain or fancy), cut some grill cloth to fit, attach to the package tray...

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Actually, it is exactly what I am after. I'll look into the repop route.

28. I know you are talking mainly about rear speakers, but I used '36 Ford horn grills for front speakers in the dash of my son's Model A.
    They might be a little small for the rear, but..................

Attached Files:

29. I like the ones HCAT54 posted, I think they would look good in the deck of my '62 Galaxie.