Register now to get rid of these ads!

200r4 trans in 37-40 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod_grmi, Dec 4, 2010.

1. hotrod_grmi

hotrod_grmi

Has anyone installed a 200r4 with sbc in a 37-40 ford. I am looking to replace a th350 with sbc in my 39 ford deluxe coupe. The existing trans mount kit looks to be from chassis engineering. With the 200r4 mount located about 7" further back from the th350 mount location it looks like I should be able to re-drill new mounting holes and then have to cut and trim the CE lower mounting plate to clear the longer 200r4 tanns pan. If anyone knows of a mounting kit available or has made this installation I would appreciate hearing from you.

2. There is a good article on the 200 r4 Transmission in the latest Hemmings Motor News. I got it in the mail yesterday.

Murph

3. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

If CE has a Th400 crossmember, it will be close enough to work (very little difference in the mount location between the 2, even though the TH2004R is shorter overall). I have put this trans in a couple different cars, replacing Th350s...one, an OT Vette, just used the TH400 mounting location (seperate bracket bolts to the crossmember for a TH350, it had to be removed), the other, a '63 Impala, I cut up a "universal" crossmember I had on hand, built some mounting brackets, and bolted it up. You may be able to just use the existing crossmember, but move it back. If that frame has an X-member, it may require shortening and welding on new mounting brackets.

4. hotrod_grmi

hotrod_grmi

thanks for the info Joe!

5. hemmings,,,,, i have my december issue and cannot find anything, what page. thanks, dermott.:confused::confused::confused: