Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GM straight 6 HEI...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzy jeff, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jazzy jeff

jazzy jeff

has anyone converted there 230 or 250 i6 motors to an HEI and got rid of the points? i see that LMC sells a whole conversion kit but its only for the v8 motors. if so where can i buy the stuff? or what motors can i steel it off of at the local junk yard?
    i took a rip up the road with my truck and it ran good for the first 10 miles or so but then it started missing and jerking around, especially under a load like when i was taking off from a stop or going up hill. ...also I have no vacuum line running to my carb, in fact my carb doesn't even have a place to put a vacuum line... So maybe that is an issue???????
    i found a website "cfrperformance.com" that sells hei conversions for the I6... but they've been out of stock for like 6 months. GRRR!!!!<!-- / message -->

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Man just run to the local yard and pull a HEI out of a truck there out there.

3. Your best bet......Get the wires also.... LMC is pricey-unless you want new. Try the auto parts store.....Mid 80's chev truck with a six.Easy breezy!

4. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Every 250/292 from around 1975 and up had the HEI from the factory. These are a drop in for the early point type 230/250. The first year or so they used a seperate coil but from then on the coil is integral to the cap, just like the V8's. Many of the early 235/261 Chevys are also using the HEI but it takes a (very) little machining and an after market hold down collar for it to fully engauge the oil pump. They work much better if a 12g wire is used from the battery source through the switch to the "BAT" terminal on the distributor cap. People use the 16g ignition wire that runs to the old point coil and have problems. The factory wire is either 12 or 10 gauge.

5. dt50chev

dt50chev

I used an HEI from a later model chevy van inline 6 in a 64 Nova I had. Made the idle instantly smoother. I now have a Pertronix ignitor in my 230 in my truck. It seems to work well and preserves the look of the engine since you still use the original distributor.

6. Better yet, run the 12ga wire direct to the battery and use a 30A relay. Use the old B+ wire from the ign switch to turn the relay on. That keeps all the current out of the old ignition switch and wiring.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like everyone has already said, a trip to the wrecking yard is all it takes, or contact GMC Bubba right here on the HAMB. Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

Got HEI on my 250 in my fleetline. It was the cheapest ingition to fire a 4 barrell on it. runs good and revs to the moon. And like people have said, use a heavier gauge wire.

9. jazzy jeff

jazzy jeff

tell me about the Petronix, ive heard about this but have no idea what it is or where i can get one.....

10. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I had a 67 chevelle 300 with a 250 in it, I found a rebuilt HEI at a parts store (checker i think) cheap and with a life time warranty.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I ran a GM HEI in my AMC 232 I6. Easy as pie and it's bulletproof. Bought one complete from the local parts store for like a hundred buck or somethin like that.

12. rustyangels

rustyangels

If your running the Rochester 1bbl the vacuum tap is facing the valve cover was not a straight nipple but a ferrule style female fitting (1/8"npt)

13. Curt B

Curt B

14. wolfex1

wolfex1

My 292 came with an HEI, but I went to Pep Boys and bought a new HEI distributor for $75-80. Works good and I don't worry on trips.

15. wolfex1

wolfex1

Recheck the gap on your points. I'm betting that they are too close. I think they should be about .018".

16. I also run the Pertronix in our 261.
    Works well.:)

17. Great idea!!

18. You can find them on the net at www.pertronix.com

19. jazzy jeff

jazzy jeff

Thanks for all the help guys, im going to check the local junk yards and auto zones to see about buying a new HEI!