Register now to get rid of these ads!

car paid for, guy wont come get it!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1929modela, Dec 7, 2010.

1. 1929modela

1929modela
    BANNED

Hey there,
    I sold a car on the classifieds to a guy here and have been paid for 30 days now. The guy says he cannot get ANYBODY to come get the car out of my garage. No shippers come here etc. Ive heard it all. I Live 60 miles from the largest city in my state so I know he is full of it. I NEED MY GARAGE and live in a country club so i cannot put it outside. HELP and advise is needed. Storage fee is on the horizon.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Spork!

Spork!

Maybe line up a shipper for him and send him all the info?

3. 1929modela

1929modela
    BANNED

I just called Jim that advertises on here for transport, He has been in contact with my guy as well , also with total lack of cooperation.

4. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

BONUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS,sell it again..

5. Send him his money back and sell it to someone who can pick it up.

6. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

i had a guy buy a rolling frame, from another province, knew how long it would take to get here to pick up...and he said he would need a month or two storage, in summer, no sweat....well that was June and I came to him with an email in October stating 10 dollars per day storage fee if it wasn't gone by X date, and all fees paid up BEFORE it rolls off my property.

It took less than 2 weeks and it was gone. I had that stall in my garage back.

Email clearly your statement of storage fees and how they will be paid before leaving, or tell him it is $25 or $50 per day, and after that, since the car I guess? is still in your name, it will be re listed and resold and he will be out the dough....most places are accessible by shipping companies, tow companies, etc.

light the fire..........keep us posted:cool:

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Did your ad have a time frame for pickup, or did you discuss it with the buyer when you made contact?
    If not give him say 10 days or you will return his money less a % for the hassle and re list the car!
    GOOD LUCK!

8. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Talk to the guy and wprk something out. I hace sold cars to overseas buyers and have had to wait a month plus for shipper. I contacted buyer and they usually dont have a problem paying $200 or so per month storage. I understand you need your space so why no take it to the city at a shipping yard there?

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ill take it Lol I live to far ,I think hamb auction

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Ya know he is gonna read this, and call you in about 5 min.

11. tjm73

tjm73

Send him a certified letter and tell him that he has a certain amount of time to schedule someone to come get it or come get it himself. If he doesn't come get it or have it picked up within that time, institute a $75 per day storage fee. He's using you for free storage. Don't release the car without him paying the fee.

12. 1929modela

1929modela
    BANNED

Ive spent the money on another project so a refund is not an option. I just told him $10 a day storage paid in full BEFORE being picked up. I hate to be that guy but Ive been the one calling him for updates, questions etc. Just sick of being jerked around. I know he's not broke as he was gonna fly out to look at it but took my word. ARGGGGGHHHHHH

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Seriously Look into a storage for his car ,Charge him or let them charge him or push outside ,,,,,,,,,Or get a time frame he has to pick it up in..I hope you have the title

14. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

be careful here...just how did he pay..in what form? If he sent you a check, money order, etc. It might be fraud....check with your bank...even if the check "cleared"...it can still come back and bite you...

15. 1929modela

1929modela
    BANNED

I believe its good payment, certified check from bank america. My bank did take it to the back before depositing it. Yes I have the title.

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Call him and stand to your guns ,You have been patient , Is this an oversees deal ...I dont have much advise .Id talk to him and tell him ,Its only a matter of time before this car gets towed away ...................

17. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have been in the same situation. Im my case the buyer was trying to resell for a profit with out having to pick it up. After a couple months of holding on to the car the buyer would not answer calls or return emails. I gave the buyer an email notice to pick it up within 30 days or I would resell it. On day 31 I put the car back up for sell and he called within 10 minutes. After a long drawn out disscusion I refunded his money minus $500 and paypal fees.

18. Ghost28

Ghost28

Exactly. That's what I would do. Emails good. But put it all in a certified letter to him also.

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

If you can't work out something with the guy yourself, YOU MUST check the laws in your state before you take any of the above suggested actions. Check with your DMV and/or a lawyer. Find out what the law is in your state as otherwise you can inadvertently get yourself into deep doohickey. Remember that as far as our government overlords are concerned, rules regarding automobile transactions are designed to protect the consumer, which in this case ain't you.

20. To the Buyer of this car

Try telling the truth :rolleyes:

You called me 7 to 10 days ago about this haul .....

I told you I was driving thru Billings, MT & could pick it up
    on my way to Seattle ....

You never called back - never sent a PM or email to confirm transport

Then - yesterday morning - you called early morning when I was 150
    miles west of your pick up location and asked if I could still pick up

I was willing to turn around & drive back 150 miles and add 300
    miles to my trip but then you called again about an hour later
    and said the Seller was going Xmas shopping in Billings and would
    not be back that evening until the earliest ....

I told you I could not lose another day - bad weather moving in

I told you I needed an email or PM with the details to confirm your
    space & I would fit you in on my return trip from Seattle

Yesterday & today - no email & no PM

I got a call about an hour ago from the Seller telling me
    I was picking up your car - news to me :confused:

You talked the guy down on his selling price ...
    You gave me a sob story how you have no money

I told him you were a flake and I would not haul for you

Jim

21. Take it to one of those u-store-it storage facilities and put it in a stall.Tell him where it is ,forward the bills to him and he can pick it up when he pays the bill.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

and the plot thickens...

pause here...gotta poo

23. boxstr

boxstr

I have a friend here in Oregon with an enclosed trailer who can be hired to pickup and transport the car. It does depend on the size of the car.
    Try to work this out with the buyer and if he is not going to cooperate then return the funds, all of them, unless you disclosed initially that you would keep a percentage,if the sale did not go through.
    Next sale, you will know better.
    Good luck.
    Craig

24. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Larry did everything come out alright?

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yeah, think I lost 7 pounds

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

What a real asshole this guy must be .

I would just re sell the car and have the new owner remove the car . Then and on then I would refund the first asshole his money IF he came to get the money . Now after 30 days , I believe you have a legal right to start charging the owner storage charges per day ! You can call all the local towing companies to find out what they all charge and take your pick on which ones storage fee's you want to charge . You have that legal right to do this so I would check with your local Sheriff or Police and find out if you can do this or not .

Good Luck with your mess .

Retro Jim

27. robleticia

robleticia

got some popcorn and salt, lets do this!

28. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

He gave you a christmas present!
    Merry Christmas! Now put it up for sale again! lol.

1shot

29. chopt31

chopt31

haul it to or have it hauled to a secured storage facility and make him pay the fee's then give him title

30. BCR

BCR

Congrats...Was it a girl or a boy?:D