Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vettexpress OCIR 1970's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by s10ace, Nov 10, 2010.

1. This is a long shot: In the early 70"s I raced a few different cars at Orange County International Raceway in Southern California. Seems we spent a lot of time working, racing repairing etc. but really didn't take many pictures of the cars. We had a few pics of this 57 Corvette my father in law owned. Over the years he had lost them or some of the relatives have them. This is the only pic we have. Does any one out there have any pics of tis car to share? The car is kinda a metal flake green with a metalflake gold insert on the sides. The car would also have a black roll bar. Written on the sides would be "Vettexpress," Al's Phillips 66 or Al's Mobil Service. I drove the car several times at OCR & Carlsbad. The car also ran at Lions several times. The picture shows the car with Jackson fuel injection. Later it had a high rise with a holley 780. My father in law parked out in front of the Phillips 66 Station on Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach or later in Costa Mesa at a Mobil Station. Any pictures anyone out there can share with all of us would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. 54 savoy

54 savoy

3. Deuces

Deuces

Gotta love them injected solid axle Vettes! :D :)

4. Anyone out there race at OCIR in the late 60's early 70's? Besides the Vette Express I raced a 50 Chevy Club coupe, almost every wednesday night for a year or two. I can still smell the rubber burning. Any pictures from that era?

5. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

i raced ocir every wed from mid 77 till they closed in oct 83did you ever run the 2 dollar jackpot bracket on wed nights? i also ran irwindale on sundays and ocir or lions before they closed in 72 i am currently building a car to bracket race soon to be done john nickle#7928

6. Let me think a minute........It had to be in '68 I ran the 50 Chevy...I welded the spring perches in HS shop class at Corona del Mar HS. Ran most every wednesday night... I think they called it grudge race night. Many nights drove home in third gear to Santa Ana, 17th and Grand the Enco station. I worked there and had access to the garage. Had a collection of 3 speed transmissions (could aford 4 speeds). Could almost rebuild a 3 speed in my sleep. Ran in 69 then I got a 54 vette project car, pulled engine and trans out of the 50 and put in the vette. Couldn't race the vette cause you needed a roll bar. Had to be around 1970 I got involed with the vette express. I hated trailering that car. The owner had a 59 el cameno and single axle trailer. Was not a good combo for 5 freeway. White nuckle driving from Balboa Peninsula to el toro. Any way it was a lot of fun, spent alot of money on those cars.

7. kennkat

kennkat

Yes I have run those wed nite brackets / aka / grudge night... Some even with you John!! Ken

8. Doesn't seem to be many pictures out there of those night races.

9. buckd

buckd

I ran a 55 chevy gasser there from when OCIR opened Til 68 when I went off to college. Cameras were mostly for camera buffs in those days. Don't have many pictures of any of my cars from back then Oh Well to bad but still got the memories!

10. kennkat

kennkat

Cameras for us amateurs that would take good nite pix were not to be found cheaply in the mid 70's when I ran there... I took (or one of my wives did) lots of daytime pit & staging lane pix back then. Amazing how close to the starting line they used to let my wife stand to take pix!