Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cold Temps = Paint Probelms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dirty's, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

I know paints, fillers, and metal off having different rates of expansion. But I have a had base coat /clear coat paint job down on my car for a year now. We have had some extremely cold temps this past week (10 degrees), but my car is in an insulated garage. STILL I am seeing wrinkles and tons of sanding marks show up in the paint. Keep in mind it has been painted for a year now. Is this something the cold weather is causing and will these go away?

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

How many layers of paint were on the car before it was painted? Alot of times having sand scratches and wrinkles re-appear is due to slot of layers underneath the base that hold solvents. Once they escape, the paint shrinks and exposes scratches that weren't there before.

Kind of odd that its happening in cold weather, usually heat and sun will draw these out. Unfortunately, they probably wont go away.

3. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

It had the original layer and 1 respray before this final restore

4. I have also seen this happen before.If there is enough clear you can probably wet sand with 1500 and rebuff. Now that the paint is thoroughly cured the marks might not come back.

5. Brentadour

Brentadour

If you're lucky and they're not that bad they can be wet sanded and buffed out. If someone who know what they looking at and see what they cab do. It will be cheaper and easier than a new paint job but not as good.

6. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

Did cold temps cause it, themoose?

7. I don't think so....they probably began to appear gradually as the paint cured and you are just starting to notice them.

8. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

I am hoping that is the case because I am blaming myself for keeping in the unheated garage right now!

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats enough to do it. Figure between the original layers, any filler and primer on the respray, plus what you added....

Thats why its always best to strip to bare metal. Sanding and buffing these out is going to prove very difficult as well. Being that the paint is a year old, its going to be very very hard.

10. That's a big no on the scratches coming out due to cold. They would have come up sooner or later. Don't feel bad, it happens to a lot of people (like me). I even know a pro or two that it happens to occasionally, but they'd never admit it. It's all about surface prep.

11. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

Thanks re-animator, I will stop kicking myself in the ass and get out and drive the wheels off of it, as soon as temps hit at least 20 degrees again.

12. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

they've probably been there all the while and you really never noticed it. it's probably the lighting in the garage that makes them more visible than outdoor light. the paint usually shrinks in the hot sun more than in the cold weather. even though there's a couple of paint jobs underneath it, a good prep job and good quality 2 part primer should have held it down. if you have enough clear on it, i would suggest cleaning the car off real good, (wax remover)and resand it with 2000 grit paper and rebuff it, gonna be a pain in the ass, but it can be done. you can save that paint job, it's probably done shrinking and gassing out, and it should not reshrink if good quality materials were used. hope this helps.

13. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

All very helpful guys

14. As SlowandLow63 said the paint is going to be hard but it still can be sanded and buffed.When I managed the body shop at a GM dealership we often removed miner imperfections in base coat clear coat that was a number of years old.Just take your time and don't go through the clear.

15. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

Will do, looks like there is plenty of clear to work with

16. Was it painted with lacquer? Sometimes the harsher solvents will make the old bodywork "ghost" up through it. If you can battle it in the clear coat, you can deal with it.

Bob

17. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY