Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock intake leak 350sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkKoch, Dec 4, 2010.

1. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

sbc 350.I'm finding to small puddles of antifreeze on/around the second set of bolts on the front of the intake.It is an Edelbrock performer intake.This happens only after the motor cools down.I have pulled these bolts out and applied rtv but the problem is still there.Any one else run into this problem?

2. are you using good quality gaskets? are the bolts properly torque?

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had am Edelbrock tri-power manifold. I had to take it off 3 times before I could get it to seat.

4. Hombre

Hombre

Mark, If you only removed those two bolts, and then redid the sealant thing and reinstalled them you have almost for sure warped the manifold to some degree. What you need to do is remove the manifold, use new gaskets and re-torgue the manifold "In The Correct Sequence" to get a good leak proof seal. Intake manifolds are as critical as Heads when it comes to Tightning and torque.

Now with that said are you sure that it was manifold? Chevys are known for leaking at the heater hose fitting or hose on the front of the manifold. the water from a leak here pools right on those two front bolt recess's and looks like it may be the manifold when in truth it is not.

RS

5. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

It was installed when I got the motor.Could the bolts have been over torqued and compromised?

6. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Oh no!!!!!!!!!! :( I hope I didnt screw it up!Now Im getn worried

7. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I just took a really good look at the intake,there looks to be a bit of oil seeping out from the four center bolts along w/ the coolant leak from the second two bolts from the front.Is it possable to just re-torque all the bolts or is installing all new gaskets for the intake the only way to fix this?

8. Hombre

Hombre

Mark, As much as I can tell from your response that you do not want to pull that intake, you really do need to.

Sure you can just re-tighten the bolts, but think about what you are doing there. You already have both oil and coolant pooling on the intake. The gaskets are more than likely comprimised, and the manifold itself is already tweeked some. Just re-tightening what you have is just not the correct way to fix this thing. Unbolt the manifold, replace the gaskets, retorque the manifold " IN THE RIGHT SEQUENCE" like it should have been in the first place. This is as easy a task is there is when dealing with these cars, its pretty simple really, its cheap, even if you have never done a manifold before it should only take you maybe half a day.

Now to address your earlier post.
    "Could the bolts have been over torqued and compromised?"
    Over torqued? Sure could have been, if you wern't there when it was done there is no way to really know what IS and what IS NOT.
    "compromised" ? If youy mean the bolts or the manifold it self, no I doubt that. If the manifold was not torqued in the correct sequence and torqued to much, then it is for sure warped to some degree. Thats an easy fix unbolt it replace the gaskets and do it right and the manifold itself will seal just fine.

And finally Mark, Man nothing is really screwed up, it just needs to be done right and then it will be fine. Its Bolts and Nuts, Aluminum and Steel not Rocket Science. Common Sense in working on these old hot Rods will see you through 99.9% of the time. Good Luck !!!!

RS

9. check to make sure it's not coming from the water neck. if it isn't i would replace the gaskets (since your getting oil seepage too.) i always run a thin layer of rtv on both side of the gasket around the water ports and a thick bead on both ends (make sure you use rtv on the corners also).

10. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I really appreciate the input.Makes complete sense that the seals are now compromised.Didn't really think about it like that.I certainly dont want anymore trouble from not doing it rite.Got the info from Edelbrocks web sit for the correct installation,torque specs and bolt sequence.Hopefully I will get this done in the next few weeks,once again thanks to all who have chimed in

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I talked to Larry down at Edelbrock. He said that they seem to have a lot of complaints about their manifolds not sealing.

12. burnout2614

burnout2614

Pay close attention to the t-stat housing, it can fool you. If the coolant is pooled on top of the intake it most likely is coming from the housing. A intake gasket problem usually leaks worse when engine is runing. The worst case I ever saw on a mis-applied intake gasket coolant filled the oil pan!!!! Chrome t-stat hsgs are notorious for leaking. peace

13. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

We had trouble w/ SBC Edelborck intakes sealing with the fel pro blue gasket 1204 I think, went to ROL paper foil embossed gasket with brush tac and it was fine .Or mr. gasket ulrta seal

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Byy silicone at homedepot or lowes and pump into hole and then put bolts in and clean up mess ,You could be wiping the threads dry .I WOULD ONLY DO THIS IF THERE ARE NO OTHER PROBLEMS..........

15. ComingApart

ComingApart

Make sure the proper bolts are in the holes also. And use the proper sealer on bolts that go into the water passages.

16. I've had good luck using Permatex sealer, not the RTV type. The gloppy stuff with the brush in the can has worked well for me. It might be called Aviation Sealer.

Good idea to match up the bolts. Trace the new gaskets onto the box and punch holes for the bolts and place the bolts in the holes as they come out. If anything is amiss, it'll be obvious, maybe.

Bob

17. maniac

maniac

It fooled me, ended up sanding it down on a straight edge, it was warped just ever so slightly, and did the same thing as yours

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what all have said--take the manifold off and redo it--make sure to seal the bolts and as someone said-don't use blue felpro gaskets with an aluminum intake--causes problems--use Mr Gasket or others that aren't blue type-used to be able to get detriot gasket brand that work well-Napa here only seems to stock the blue felpr0

19. jetmek

jetmek

ill second this...those chineee made potmetal housings suck. i eventually put a cast iron one from napa on problem solved...f

20. The last one I bought at napa was made in china too !

21. sdluck

sdluck

As many said ,the fluids are going up the threads of the bolt,remove bolts and put sealer,not rtv on threads you will be fine.

22. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I wouldn't recomend doing that^^^ I would take the intake off, make sure it's straight with a straight edge and check the heads while you can seem them with the sraight edge, also see if you missed some old gasket material stuck somewhere. And use some of the "Right Stuff" gasket sealer wiped thin around the surface of the head and then on the intake. Use the same stuff to make the front and rear intake seals. Put some on your bolt threads and I will bet money it doesnt leak...

23. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

The little bit of gasket that I can see does appear to be blue,I'm guessing thats the felpro gasket you all have mentioned.I have looked on you tube at some good tech videos on the removal and installation.I'm confident I can do it now.I did one on my wifes 96 mustang gt so the only difference is more care w/ the gaskets and i will have to pull the distributor.Only problem now is working out in the cold weather:/