Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tractors: Birth of the Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 6, 2010.

1. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

A few more from my collection of vintage tractor images:

Attached Files:

2. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Up north here, we nicknamed those converted model t's "doodlebugs". maybe a search under that name will show you some conversions. i even saw a GMC bus hacked up to a yard tractor. probably the best one of those "eyebrow" year trucks has looked. another time, saw someone had cut a t off at the firewall, to convert the front end left over to a generator that could be towed around.

so if you want some old iron to fool around with...:)

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I know what it was about. Traction.

4. I love old tractors! We have an "Antique Farm Equipment Show" here each year and you can see some real cool stuff. Here's a video I shot a few years back, somewhere around the middle you will see this crawler that looks to be made from an 8-N with a V8 60 in it, one of my favs. ;)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bRZE72ndZo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bRZE72ndZo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

5. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

olivers are down right sexy ..........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

if this isnt hot rodding i dont know what is hahahah beside international have that slick TURBO emblem that would make most late model imports jealous

[​IMG]

vtx1800 likes this.
  6. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

These are at the Connecticut Antique Machinery Museum in Kent, CT. Well worth a visit. http://www.ctamachinery.com/

Love old farm machinery. Slim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

it wasn't just a day or two ago that somebody on here was bitching about all the O.T. posts and directly referred to posts about tractors as being O.T.

I find it hilarious that a thread about tractors is the headliner for the day.

8. Mine photochopped by another HAMBer!

Attached Files:

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I agree Bob. To answer the threads question, I'm still going with no.Tractors were not the birth of hot rods.

10. These are real cool. There are a bunch of folks who rest or those and other construction equipment. As for doodlebugs, there were many conversions, but most were done on the fly. I have seen photos of a Duesenberg that was converted into a doodlebug, using a couple large rocks as ballast. Great fun.

Don't know if I still have the pic of that Dusenberg, but I'll see if I can find it....

11. Joe G

Joe G
    from Minnesota

Here's a good example of a Doodlebug.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  12. Birth of the hot rod? yep, if not, then not far from it, at least to the 'common' man.

For those of you who love to collect books, and read about the history, you will be amazed at the similarities, do a search on the early ford tractors, and all the variant's people created, for refference, get this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Tractors-Model-Model-Encyclopedia-Plus/dp/0760326363

It certainly offers a perspective of early hotrodding that is forgotten in the modern world

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

13. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

This was a production kit minus the bomber seat
    [​IMG]

14. I don't know if early tractors qualify as hot rods or not, but they sure are cool. I was driving a tractor way before I ever drove a car.

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Agreed. Very much. I was at a guys collection a few weeks ago that we do Pinstriping for and had the same thoughts.

These things look like Hot Rods!

Here are some shots I took for that very reason.

Enjoy.

Nothing like standing INSIDE a wheel and striping the spokes!

...and I also LOVE the little dozers.

Attached Files:

• 160.jpg
      160.jpg
      File size:
      309.5 KB
      Views:
    • 165.jpg
      165.jpg
      File size:
      378.9 KB
      Views:
    • 186.jpg
      186.jpg
      File size:
      280.8 KB
      Views:
    • 199.jpg
      199.jpg
      File size:
      293.3 KB
      Views:
    • 205.jpg
      205.jpg
      File size:
      330.7 KB
      Views:
    • 171.jpg
      171.jpg
      File size:
      453.8 KB
      Views:
  16. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool post!

My grandfather recently gave me my great grandfathers 1938 Case RC. My great grandfather traded a team of horses for it back in 1939 & my father helped my grandfather restore it back in the 1970's and I'm going to pass it down to my 16 month old son Henry in the future. My grandfather is in his early 90's and is still enjoying life.

Chris

Oh yea, and you can pop a "wheelie" in a tractor when your 10 years old.......wanna' know how I know? Haha.

Attached Files:

17. jim galli

jim galli

My personal fave;

<object width="640" height="505">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1ThSi1wbqU?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></object>

18. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona

19. Joepup

Joepup
    from Mid-Mo

I sent a link of this to my dad he is into old tractor and is currently restoring A H Farmall
    He sent this to me;
    The fence rows had many old cars and trucks that could be purchased for $ 10-50.00 and the made in to tractors. The ones I remember were reversed and used to push hay rakes pushing hay in the windrow into the barn. There were many buzz saws mounted on them to cut fire wood and some did use tillage tools; but weren&#8217;t powerful; or heavy enough to do much. I helped a farmer cut wood with a buzz saw on a 1932 Chevy coupe. He had a flat pulley on the right rear wheel with a belt going up to the buzz saw fastened on the rear and a wire going to the carburetor for a throttle. These things were really dangerous and many farmers were injured by the big saw blades without any shields. That farm now is home to the Illinois Governor&#8217;s College north of Monee.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  20. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Speaking of "being a Deusey", some garages back in the day would cut off the back end of a Buick or other luxury car, to make a tow "truck" out of it. that was before a company started making kits for it. I guess the Model AA four banger wasn't always enough :D

Funny where raw material for a car rebuild can be found...

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There is a fellow down here in the Tampa area that has a rodded flathead in his Fordson. I might have a pix... looking... Gary

22. Rodshop

Rodshop

One of my favorites as well....The Sweet Georgia Brown accompaniment.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  23. 1952henry

1952henry

I like hot rods, but let's be serious. A tractor was meant to accomplish work; be it plowing, seeding, raking, lifting, windrowing, powering a thresher, pulling a combine, etc. All necessary for a man, or woman, to do chores, make money, and/or feed his family. I fail to see how a hot rod fits this bill.

As far as style, yes, tractor companies began to employ stylists to make their products prettier, striking a somewhat balance between form and function.

24. 1952henry

1952henry

Coops, and I believe Cockshutts (Canadian) from the 40s and early 50s had Dodge or Chrysler flathead sixes (230 and I believe 250cid), five speed Dodge truck transmissions and rearends. An old family friend said they would scoot in 5th (road gear).

daylatedollarshort likes this.
  25. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

this thread is so true! here's a home built one my cousin bought probably made in the late 40s

Attached Files:

26. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

Here's one of our old tractors a 1942 case Model DI. alot of these were bought by the military as this one was. it was later used at an airport and my dad bought it at a county auction. this one has a high speed road gear and will really move for a tractor :)

Attached Files:

27. Gator

Gator

If any of you are in the Middle Tennessee / Southern Kentucky area, a friend of mine has a HUGE collection of vintage tractors, steam engines, threshers and work trucks in Portland TN.

He also has several 'kit' tractors, and also Model T based snow vehicles, race cars, etc.

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That was one of the better kits, the drive gear teeth are on the outside, the ones with the teeth on the inside would catch rocks on the gears... here's a doodle bug at work.

Attached Files:

29. Me too! and I sure drove them like a hot rod! Later in life when I found out that the old AC model G had only two main bearings I was suprised that it held up to all my "Wheelies".:p