Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Surfers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slingshot392, Dec 6, 2010.

1. slingshot392

slingshot392

2. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

The Surfers have always been my heroes! I am right there with you, there are one of my favorites as well.
    Jimmy White

3. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I saw those "Drag City" guys almost get their asses kicked in the pits at Fontana a few years ago. They pissed off a lot of people with the "Drag City" stuff.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

There isn't anything nicer than the sound of a Nitro fed front engine Hemi Dragster ! They were the Kings of the tracks back in the 60's and still are in my eyes ! :D
    I really miss them ! :(

Retro Jim

5. rick finch

rick finch

6. Do tell!

7. yeahRight

yeahRight

+one

8. rick finch

rick finch

Yes.....tell us more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Haven't thought of Amos Saterlee in 40 years, nice to see him workin' on a fuel engine.

10. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I was standing in line at the hamburger stand when I hear this guys yelling and calling this other guy a SOB and other such names. The jist was the Drag City guys were ripping off "investors". I have no inside if this was true or not. I just watched as this pissed off guy tried to deck the Drag City guy.

11. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

Can tell you that none of the original team or family members have anything to do with this todd

12. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

The Surfers and Frantic Four were two of my favorite cars

13. slingshot392

slingshot392

14. slingshot392

slingshot392

15. slingshot392

slingshot392

16. TxRat

TxRat

17. slingshot392

slingshot392

I've been digging through all the stuff on my computer and also searching the Internet for photos of the Surfers to do a model in either 1/25 or 1/16. I've found a really good article I had saved in PDF's that were from the Hot Rod Archives, I tried searching for the archives to link to the article, it doesn't seem to be there anymore, so I attached the article here. I knew Mike died in a racing accident, but when I read about the accident in the article, I literally got sick.

I also attached a wallpaper I made that I use quite often, don't remember where I got the artwork of the Surfers, but it's really nice.

My favorite story of the Surfers is when they blew a rod through the block in the semi finals. They wanted to race in the finals, so they tipped the dragster on its side, disconnected the rod and shoved the piston all the way up and disconnected the plug, they had to do something about the hole in the block, so they used some cardboard and duct tape! They made to the 1000 foot mark before the engine finally let go. there were some pictures of them working on the car, large crowds all the way around them.

In my search, I ran across this song which I hadn't heard before and thought you guys might like to hear it, not much better than Annette singing about drag racing! Some really nice photos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_DkmMPYsQ&feature=related

Attached Files:

18. rick finch

rick finch

Two years ago I contacted an old friend and fellow HAMBer Rich Venza to have his boys make me one of their replica "Surfer's" scoops. I painted it yellow and then took it to the '09 California Hot Rod Reunion. Adam Sorokin signed it in his dad Mike's honor...(Adam is as much a talented driver as his dad.) I then tracked down and got the signatures of Don Garlits, Don Prudhomme, Tom McEwen, Tommy Ivo, Dode Martin (Dragmaster fame) and another friend Sam Davis (driver of the Freight Train.) I display it proudly on one of my old Enderle injectors in my home office......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  19. Pretty damn cool Rick. There's lots of open space for more autographs...March Meet Maybe?

20. slingshot392

slingshot392

Now that's cool!!!

21. wood470

wood470

Surfers were what dragt racing was all about in the sixty's. Goin fast. Junk yard motors with lottsa nitro and boost. No fancy paint or chrome. Just big tires and lottsa HP.

22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yeah, low buck operation. They towed it around and pushed it with a '55 Chev tudor, which in those days was a $200 beater.

23. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Yup. Weekly Rivero Fox Holding...is/has anyone found/restored/cloned that car?

24. rick finch

rick finch

The Frantic Four have cloned their car it's been a fixture in the "Grove" at the CHHR
    for years......

Pomona '10....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  25. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

That was a Great CHRR!

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I believe the '55 Chev tow car was Bob Skinner's mother's car. They built the car in a single car garage behind the Red Apple Motel in Culver City (or Venice?), which Mrs. Skinner owned.