Register now to get rid of these ads!

>>Pic Request of the Art Himsel bus...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCsledz, Feb 25, 2005.

1. KCsledz

KCsledz

Trying to find good pics of the Art Himsel bus or RV if ou will. It looked like the passenger compartment that would hang form a blimp. Any help would be appreciated.

cody

2. Mutt

Mutt

3. KCsledz

KCsledz

I have never seen the futureliner before I like it! The rest of the pics on that site are really cool!
    [​IMG]

I remeber a magazine doing an article on the build up of this one. Its more of what I am trying to track down.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure if these vehicles are like the one that Art has. It seems to me his was fabric covered (atleast part of the body was) and as I recall weren't shaped exactly like these. Anyone know for sure?

Frank

5. Mutt

Mutt

I think there was a spread on that vehicle in Street Rodder back in the 90's, I believe. I'm thinking late 90's, because I was looking for a Futurliner to make into a motorhome at the time. Sorry I can't help more. Glad you liked the site though.

Frank, you're right, now that I see the picture of Art's vehicle. I remember a spread on it in some mag.

Mutt

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The thumbnail in the above post is Arts, a bit different than the Futurliners.

Frank

7. KCsledz

KCsledz

The thunbnail I posted is Art's RV. I am jsut having a hard time finding different shots of it , the mag article and close up details.

8. There was a little article about Art either in Autographics magazine or the Sata spray gun paper--I forget(I read a lot of stuff) anyway, it's supposed to be the only one built by some motorhome company in 1942
    Pretty damn interesting look about it. Should I dig thru my stuff and find that article for you KC?

mid-tenn mike

9. Last time I was in CA, one of those futurliners was parked in the street somewhere in North Hollywood., I mean parked as in two weeks on end.

10. KCsledz

KCsledz

If its something you have time to do I would love it. I know that I have seen build up pictures of it somewhere. Maybe Street Rodder? I don't have it any more I have scoured my collection twice. It wasn't something that I was interested in when the article came out. But now I want to know how it all went together.

11. Here's two I took about 10 or 15 years ago (maybe longer?) It showed up at Andy's Picnic in Vallejo Ca. This is pre restoration (rodderation?) It was mostly canvas, with metal around the windshields, and side windows. It was flathead powered. It's been changed a lot on the outside during it's restoration. There's more metal on it now, plus front and rear fenders, and the rest of it's cover with an Airplane covering. Howdy Ledbetter of Fremont did the interior. The painted one is it now. Dean

Attached Files:

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It was probably stolen and then ditched after they got all the rifles.:D You think that might have been an early swat team truck?

13. KCsledz

KCsledz

Was it canvas stretched over wood on the origonal?

14. No, the whole thing is made from round tubing. The window area is sheet metal, looks to be cut from existing cars. I saw this thing naked when it was at Jim Howe's welding shop in Pleasant Hill Ca. Dean

15. KCsledz

KCsledz

Thanks Dean!

Anyone else got more info on how this thing was redone? Or where to get progress pics?

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

it was covered in some stuff called"stits poly-fiber",i believe.
    for fabric covered aircraft,it is heat shrinkable with an iron.

don't have a web addy,but do a search on it.
    also check with a company called"aircraft spruce speciality" i think it is called.

later

17. KCsledz

KCsledz

One last try.
    Anyone out there with more pics or possibly a magzine article on this custom?

18. KCsledz

KCsledz

popping an old post to the top. Man I love that thing with the fabricated front.