Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ooh, The Horror... My '36 Coupe...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Enbloc, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Sounds like you just found your culprit right there. They can do that new and out of the box.

Looking forward to more video when you get her back up and running.

Peace,
    James

2. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

So clarke, what's happening, only a week!!!

4. Car is back together and running well. Trying to get some miles on it and iron out the bugs.

Mot'd last saturday, now on to registering.

Thanks for the interest.

5. Dan57

Dan57

That car is righteous.

6. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Glad to hear your engine wasn't hurt...carry on!
    Mike

7. verr1908

verr1908
    from england

Had to give up any hope of the hay ride car a bit way off ,will stay at home this weekend and work like hell
    ,hope you make it

8. Cheers. I hope so as well.

Good luck with yours.

9. xadamx

xadamx

Just PM'd you on Fordbarn, before I found this post. Your '36 is BITCHIN'! And watching the short movies and seeing some of the pictures answered a lot of the questions I had for you. Awesome '36...cheers!

10. hershambob

hershambob

[​IMG]
    these would look good on your coupe!!!!!

11. hershambob

hershambob

12. Rikster

Rikster

noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

13. farmer12

farmer12

x2 !!!

14. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Just caught up on the thread.

Wow great looking car now:D

I agree I wouldn't add the louvred hood and sides.

The car looks OK as it is.:cool:

15. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Where are the updates!

Nice ride I hope you dialed in your flatty

16. OH NO - NO - NO louvers PLEASE!!!!!!

17. Just read all this thread ,nice work congrats........

18. Just sat here and read this thread from beginning to end. I don't know if I have any more to say than what has already been said. I've been thinking about it very hard though so here goes. That was very inspiring, I can't wait to here mine run. That first ride must have been one of the biggest thrills of your life. Way to go!!! Back away from the louvered hood! That's all I got.

19. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Well, that was a little dissappointing. I got all excited that there was an update here, but no.

Love to hear how things are coming...even if it's slow.

P.S. Do what you want, but personally I'd stay away from the louvers too. They look good on some cars, but yours is dang perfect w/o 'em.

20. Oh, by the way, is it possible to see a picture of the backside of one of your fender skirts? As kinky as that sounds I hope you know what I mean. Just wanted to see how they are held on, and kept in place.

21. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

22. Well seems like I'm going to have to justify myself with this one. LOL

The pictures are MY hood and this is the first time I've seen them stamped as well!

The car previously ran a solid top and sides.
    Pretty, yes. Practical, no.
    The solid panels would send all the heat and fumes through the car. The floor would get so hot that you couldn't even rest your foot on it as the heat could be felt through the soles of your shoes and the fumes were just plain annoying.

So, now what?
    Stock hood sides were to, well, stock. Anything fancy like the tapered arrangment on the Cole Foster '36 is to modern looking.
    Out came the Don Montgomery books and what do I see on alot of the 36's. HOT ROD louvres!
    Now I'll be the first to hold up my hands and say that I too have never been a fan of louvres. It was a hard decision to make to go this route.
    Pierson, Calori, Mckinley and more recently Fisher. Regonise the names and the cars? Take a closer look at the hoods next time.

The lourves in my hood are not random stampings. I could have got that from Rootlieb.
    See the picture of the hood above? See the picture of the Pierson Coupe on the bench?

Still wrong to have done it?............ Nah, Didn't think so.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  23. Rikster

Rikster

Funny you name the Pierson and Fisher in one line... those are the same hood sides!

Louvres on Hood side on a 36 Ford are something I can "live" with. But on the top of the hood... they just ruin the smooth lines of a custom to me.
    Those care in the late 40's raced a lot and I guess they needed them to cool the engine. So I guess thats the look where you are after.
    But the real custom cars of those days just did not have them, at least not on the hood tops.

24. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Mixed bag here.
    1) It's your car. Build it to make YOU happy.
    2) If you're going for the flats racer type look then it'd look weird (IMHO) for the rest of the car to look ready to hit the flats, but the hood/sides to be smooth. My grandfather ran a 32 at Bonneville and at least for that run (from what we can see on the old 8mm film) the hood on his car was louvered. It makes sense to get as much air flow through the engine compartment as possible, especially with an old flat head.

On the flip side, how many holes do you have in your firewall? I'd be seriously worried if I was getting exhaust and fumes in the cab. Little too much CO1 and you pass out while driving...not a pretty sight. Also, no fire wall insulation? It's pretty cheap to add, and can be paneled, sheeted, or carpeted over depending on what you do with your interior (last I saw your dad was sitting on a carpet scrap). If you're going for the rough and rugged look, have at it. But if it were me, I'd want something comfortable to drive in.

My unrequested 2 cents.

25. I like the louvers as shown in the photo above.

26. 36fred

36fred

Hey enbloc cool 36. I am kind a new to hamb and look at all 36 threads. I like the louvers, gives it a real 50's look. I chose a one piece hood for mine, I had the briz bumpers but since the pictures were taken I have went back to 36 bumpers, really didn't like the polishing. I extented the trunk 18" to clean up the rear, and makes a big difference traveling. Love your car.

27. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Simply Awesome! Outstanding work mate!

28. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Yep, enough said.

Those louvers look good!! You don't have to justify your choice to me. Keep doing YOUR thing man, YOU GET IT.

29. I'm diggin the louvered hood!

-Shiny