Register now to get rid of these ads!

help to give a 305 some punch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stagmuffin, Dec 5, 2010.

1. stagmuffin

stagmuffin

probably get roasted ,but i got a 305 in ok condition and would like to give it some sting in the tail.im in the uk and the budget is moderate im biulding the whole car up its a 71 triumph stag will be fitting the sbc 305 eng no14093627 with 600cfm holly torker manifold hugger headers not got a dizzy will a hei distributor and high energy coil ok this driving a borg warner t5 box down to a bmw rear beam modified and bmw diff.this is my first go at any american engines usualy brit v8,s or smaller 4 pots.realy hoping i can bolt on some pwer in the first place then see what comes.
    many thanks in anticipation.
    steve..:)

2. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Remind me why a 71 triumph stag with a 305 Chevy is a traditional hot rod or custom?

3. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

nothing wrong with a 305. Ditch the torker and go with a dual-plane intake if you are using stock heads. Otherwise, just freshen it up with rings and bearings and throw a good cam in it, add some hot spark and be done with it. I had a stock 305 in a heavy caprice classic and that thing had no problem getting out of the way with a relatively stock engine.

4. squirrel

squirrel

how much power do you want? how much money do you have? :)

Generally, those "smog" engines are pretty easy to wake up with a bigger cam, a big of head port clean up work, and improved exhaust. The 4bbl engines come with a plenty large Quadrajet carb and the intake is about what the engine needs.

Decide what RPM range you want the engine to make power, first. Then go from there. You can make a lot of power with a "small" (by US standards) engine if you're willing to rev it pretty high. Problem with a 305 is that it has the long stroke and small bore, so it's designed more for low rpm operation. The 302 (used in late 60s Z28 camaros) was set up the other way, with a short stroke/large bore, and is a better plan for making more hp with the limited displacement.

5. I was asking myself the same question but as far as the 305, do a search. There is a lot of advice already posted as far as cams, intakes etc Cheers

6. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

The 305 has a place here if it's living in a hot rod or a custom.

7. That was my point

8. stagmuffin

stagmuffin

sorry if ive upset a few guys here,maybe im in the wrong place this car is custom to me im biulding it from a wreck and modding it to suit my taste so all the running gear is from other makes .internaly im trimming myself with seats from a 79 xjs and various other things to boot ,lowered all round.just a thought am i on the wrong forum if im not welcome just say dont want to spoil anyones fun.
    thanks for the positive help oldsrocket and squirrel will do a search.ps without wanting to appear dumb what does actualy constitute a hot rod or custom i dont mind being educated.........

9. squirrel

squirrel

As far as this site goes, read the rules....you'll find it's for pre-64 cars and trucks that are built "traditional" (as opposed to the modern street rod style)

Good luck figuring that out...gist of it is that you should say you're building your 305 to put in something older than 71 :)

10. Hey-It's all for fun I've used the search to do my own 305 in our shop truck. I'd have to say the biggest single improvement was the addition of a Summit 1102 camshaft. Just keep the hot rod "spirit" Cheers

11. arto

arto

12. 69fury

69fury

as with any engine build- you'll need to properly define your goals- daily drivers need wide, low end torque, not a peaky, high rpm, narrow powerband.

Pick a matched cam/intake/carb/exhaust combination that works together with your car's weight and gears. listen to the cam companies and converter companies. They truly do know best.

dont use anything made of billit, unless you carve it yourself, in which case dont polish it.:D

rick.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

A Stag? Some kind of British car? Yeah 71 is too new for a traditional hot rod, Just say it's a mail truck on an S10 frame and it'll be traditional :D

14. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Do a search lots of info to be found.

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Read an article awhile back and they used a 2102 cam and edelbrock intake and carb and got 317 out of an 87 305 ................That was with a 750 carb ,Didnt say if they used the heads For that kind of hp.

16. ComingApart

ComingApart

The heads are an issue on the 305's. They don't flow much and if you replace them, you'll probably end up lowering the already low compression ratio even more.

Other than that, it responds to all the normal stuff any SBC does.

Never tried it, but can these stock heads be shaved or milled down any? Might be a cheap way to pick up a little more grunt???

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Cool project!

Go to the link for "Dogfight Magazine" on the bottom of this page.
    The forums there are better for your type of build.
    MANY of the people there are HAMBers too, but that site isn't dedicated to pre 65 Traditional Hot Rods and Customs.

18. you have a 88-94 roller cam, one piece rear main seal, big valve 305 heads, low cost mods cc the heads multi-angled valve job, deck the block to .00 if you take it apart or a thin gasket if not because the pistons will be about .035 in below deck and a 360 intake with a four barrel and headers, the stock manifolds are awful

19. stagmuffin

stagmuffin

thank you all who responded to my call for advice it has been noted and some very good calls to so im gonna do as suggested to get some extra go.once again apologise for upsetting some members shoulda read the rules but then my motto is "if all else fails read the instructions" i will try and find another site/forum who deal with younger seventys stuff.
    thanks
    steve....................and i wish you all the best xmass and rodding.

20. Dyce

Dyce

First on the list, I'd find out what pistons you have. Most of them have dished pistons that have low compression. This will limit you to a mild cam. If you have flat top pistons and the late model closed chamber high output (1,88 intake valves) closed chamber heads you'll have a better baseline to start from. They respond very much the same way a 350 responds to cams.

Porting on the heads, raising compression (by pistons or milling), headers, and cam is the standard equasion. Decking the block and flattop pistons with a nice little cam and potrwork is the direction I would take if you go through the engine and bore it.

21. Herdez

Herdez

If its roller cam motor you can do a bunch with it. Swap to 1.94 vortech heads, trick flows or world products sr torquers. Upgrade to late style truck/caprice 350 pm rods and add arp bolts, Use lt-1, lt-4 or GM lt-1 hot cam kit, If your going to rebuild the motor 30 is the max over bore and get true cast flat tops. Its common on most third gen camaros to use these bolt-ons. 1992 1le Z28s ran very well with t-5 and 305. Also if you do have 1992 1.94 valve heads they do flow well but you will need to take a grinder to make them a bit better. link for the best 305 motor from factory info.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  22. Put 16" bias plys on some old Ford steel wheels with small caps on it and it'll be traditional enough!

Sam

23. Wow I'm surprised that no one ajar on the305 I got one in my shoebox with heads cam holly 2300 500 cfm carb and RAM horn headers paired with th350 and I can smoke the tires off the find if I wanted to good luck with the build

24. Deuces

Deuces

The Le or what ever you call'em Camaros were not that quick... not even the 350 auto versions.. (And I'm a early Camaro fan) The '88 and '91 Fox cars I had would always beat them right out of the showroom.. (stock)

25. Truckedup

Truckedup

My O/T G body El Camino had a 305 I did some work on.I found a fully machined roller cam block 1990 305 for cheap money.9.25 compression,Comp Cams mild roller,1.84 intake small chamber #416 heads,Rams Horn exhaust.the usual 4 barrel and HEI stuff.Ran real well,maybe about 250 HP and great fuel mileage with a Saginaw 4 speed.But....the same stuff done to a 350 would give 300 plus hp for similar money spent.

26. Herdez

Herdez

Your Right. The 92 camaro z28/305 -bad choice of parts from the factory. Always, low compression, small valves/small intake port entrees, small camshaft, choked intake will always = slow on any engine combo. unless you have a power adder. Change this on any motor and to will wake up. Just like tons of hp people make with a mustang 5.0 today. The old Ford MUSTANG 5.0 didnt have alot of hp but was very light weight plus able to adapt to part changes because of the AL9 computer while on the other hand the z28 wasnt computer friendly.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  27. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'd bet in merry ol england, chevy parts are hard enough to find. 305 needs the right cam and a small 4 barrel carb and it will run strong enough to make a small little car like that fly. I had a roller cam 305 and 4 speed in my 53. I got around just fine.

28. stagmuffin

stagmuffin

wow thanks guys ,new i made the right move to ask you lot .some of the parts aint so easy to find and some of them , well my wallet would take a spanking! so when i decode some of the brilliant stuff i got here from you guys im gonna see what i can do .may have to import some stuff cos it looks cheaper than to buy off dealers here.!! got to budget well the whole shell is e rebiuld floors wings/fenders etc then paint trim etc could soon bust me if i dont keep a watch.but youve filled me with enthusiasm and i feel i aint going down a dead end now.
    thanks.....im gonna post some pics over the hols when i figure out how its done .
    steve...........................................

29. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I'd take the advice of just not mentioning what you are working on specifically when asking tech questions...this is a great site, but people get their panties in a wad if you mention something that isn't a traditional style hot rod (yeah, its part of the rules, but he's not asking about the car...WGAF. ) Ask all the drivetrain questions you want, just don't do any build threads:D !

30. Make sure it's got 305 heads. They have pretty small combustion chambers. A head from almost any other small block will just kill the power. 305 has same stroke as a 350, and makes pretty decent power as-is for a cruiser. I put one in a 60 Impala and you'd swear it was a 350. I'd make sure it's got the right heads and leave it alone. The more tricks you throw at it, the better chance you have at making LESS power where you want it