Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Which blocks do I need?? 53 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cederholm, Nov 25, 2010.

1. cederholm

cederholm

I planning to lower my '53 Chevy Deluxe more door but I'm not sure which blocks I need of of these. HERE

I'm planning a 3" drop - I assume this isn't enough to warrant and tunnel work - or am I wrong.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Carl

2. maniac

maniac

just need to measure the width of your springs

3. cederholm

cederholm

Thanks manic - the problem is I'm at my family's for the holiday, my car is back in NYC and there is free shipping tomorrow. :)

4. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

You are right. 3 inches is the max without tunnel work. Those blocks will work. My old stock springs are 1 3/4" wide on my 53.

5. choppermatt

choppermatt

I'm selling a set of 3 inch blocks. They are different from a typical autozone type block. the spring is only 1 /34 in wide. PM me if you want pics.

6. robleticia

robleticia

No tunnel work needed for only a 3" drop

7. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I have actually lowered a bunch of these... 52/53/54's... I have always used posies super slide springs (3-3 1/2") drop and a 2 inch block and never messed with the tunnel..

here is a shot of my old 52' dropped...

so, if you are handy go to a metal supply place and get some metal tubing 1 3/4 x (what ever thickens..2-3 " and cut your self some blocks.. I just did this for my 53'. I spent $20 and got 6 ft of 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 tubing and made my own. Just be sure to get new U-bolts.. not a good idea to reuse the original ones... plus they are cheap. Just go to a spring shop and tell them what you need and they should be able to make you new ones for about $8 a bolt.

Attached Files:

8. LincolnLars

LincolnLars
    from Sweden

I am modifing the rear suspension on my girlfriends 54 and this car (2"blocks and a couple of leafs removed)have had big problems with the rear axel hitting the frame when driven on bumpy roads. When riding with two people in the backseat,driveshaft tunnel also got beaten up... After seeing this stock suspension from the garagefloor, I would say that 3" blocks seems to much. I am building a fourlink with triangulated upper bars on it,will be bagged and I have z-notched the frame 8" to be on the safe side. Damned if it wont be low enough!!

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

It is important to know if you have the stock torque tube or an open rear. Switching to an open rear will raise it, slightly, as the pivot is no longer there. With an open rear conversion, new shocks, posies and 3" blocks, and 5 guys in the car (1000 lb easy) the ride was, well, solid. running empty it was a bit harsh. 2" blocks, and it was much nicer.

10. mj40's

mj40's

Rod & Custom, Oct 2005 had an article on updating the rear of a 54 Chevy with the Walton Fabrication kit. It lowers the rear 5" using 2" blocks and still leaves 3" of space between the rear axle housing and the frame.

http://www.waltonfabrication.com/dh/0801.htm